1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help My Brain is Fried

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by almara, Nov 26, 2004.

1. almara

almara
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am a newbie who after much research has decided to buy SharpLC-32GA3E LCD TV and Toshiba RD-XS32 DVD recorder. TV signal is supplied by NTL cable via a Pace digibox. Set up will be used principally to watch TV (both live and recorded) and to play DVDs. I can't, however, get my head round the cabling needed so would welcome any help. The connections on the 3 pieces of kit (rear only as I don't want to use front connections) are:-

SHARP

ANTENNA IN UHF/VHF 75 q Din type

INPUT 1 SCART (AV input, RGB input, TV output)

INPUT 2 SCART (AV input/output, Y/C input, AV Link)

INPUT 3 SCART (AV input/output, Y/C input, RGB input), RCA pin (Component input)

INPUT 4 S-VIDEO (Y/C input), RCA pin (AV input)

INPUT 5 Ø 3.5 mm jack (Audio input), DVI-I (DVI-I input)

AUDIO OUTPUT RCA pin (Variable/Fixed), switchable with INPUT 4

DC OUTPUT DC 9V 7W MAX

SPEAKER External speaker output terminal (L and R)

CENTRE CHANNEL INPUT RCA pin

RS-232C D-sub 9pin male connector

TOSHIBA

Component video output

2 X Scart (RGB input and output)

S-video output

Composite video output

Optical digital audio output

Stereo analogue audio output

RF in/out

PACE

2 X Scart (only one RGB?)

I know that component video is best for DVD connection but can't see where 3 pin connection on Toshiba ties in with Sharp and am not clear on how audio is connected when using component. Also what scarts should I be connecting?

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi almara and welcome to the forum (and the cable nightmares!)

From personal experience, wait till you add an AV amp - then it really becomes fun :)

You should be fine sticking with decent scart cables. Do a quick search for "scart cable" on the forum and you'll find loads of recommendations, you can get decent cables for £20-30 each...I'm using a Thor cable that works well from Sky to a 51" screen.

To connect it all up take the RGB scart output from the NTL box into the DVD recorder, then from recorder into an RGB socket on the TV. Make sure all your sources are outputting RGB signal rather than composite (called PAL on my sky box - you'll be able to see the difference easily).

Component video doesn't carry sound at all, it's three video leads - but they aren't the same type of signal as RGB that you carry on scart cables.