• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help, my aerial is TOO good .. RF interference

u4coffee

We live in a reception black-spot, with no freeview, no C5 and pretty rubbish everything else terrestrial. I phoned a couple of aerial installers when we moved in 10 years ago, and when I told them where we lived they just laughed at me.

Even though we can watch 1-4 on cable we always sit there like zombies watching some ghosty picture down the aerial. Last year I came to my senses and said this was ridiculous and got an aerial installer out. When he arrived he laughed as is custom, said it was futile to try and get anything decent down an aerial, and sold us a Freesat system.

A few weeks ago the aerial actually broke, so again we got an aerial installer to visit. We were still watching the ghosty pictures by the way. This time the installer reckoned that if he pointed at a different transmitter 90 miles away with an amplified aerial he would be able to get a decent reception. He noted that a couple of new installations on our road were doing this.

In the end he managed to get us excellent 1-4 pictures and all the freeview channels and I was pretty estatic. :smashin:

However, when I reconnected all my boxes I noticed that Virgin, which was on C68 and our Humax Foxsat which I have on C65 were both now very poor pictures. In fact as I took my RF modulator through all the channels from 55 to 69 there was noise on all of them. I can only conclude that the aerial is so damn good it actually picking up noise on the other channels.

My question is this ... is there an aerial amplifier that will only amplify channels 21-55 say, or better still some box that I can put the coaxial through that will "block" channels 55-69 for example?

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Can't you find some clear space lower down the UHF band for your modulated outputs ?
If you can find out what channels are being used for your terrestrial TV, you should be able to work out where the clear spaces are likely to be.

u4coffee

Can't you find some clear space lower down the UHF band for your modulated outputs ?
If you can find out what channels are being used for your terrestrial TV, you should be able to work out where the clear spaces are likely to be.

When my old aerial was pointing at the transmitter just 5 miles away, all the channels were lower down the band. Trouble is there was a big chunk of limestone that got in the way and made the reception poor.

The new aerial has been turned 90 degrees, and is picking up channels in the mid band, but it is also picking up the channels in the lower band from the local transmitter. No problem because I always had my DVD, Cable and Freesat sat in the 60-69 range anyway. The trouble is there is now noise interference.

I have unplugged the aerial amplifier and the DVD, Cable and Freesat become clear again, but the tv channels become poor and the Freeview dissapears. I seem to be in a Catch-22 situation.

:lease:

u4coffee

Are you able to connect some of the devices by other means rather than going through a modulator? E.g. HDMI, component, scart etc?

All the other tellys are in decorated rooms with nice metal aerial sockets and the coaxial plastered in.

Besides the RF system is just sooo much simpler than the modern equivalents imho. Wifey just presses 6 and there's cable, 7 and there's freesat, 8 and there's the DVD etc.

Last edited:

vex

What you need is a little box on the main lead coming down from the aerial called a grouped combiner.

THese may be getting pretty rare now as almost everything has gone wide band, but effectively you can use on of these to filter out the lower channels your are receiving in error and therefore creating you a nice clear space for your in house channels.

Off the top of my head should cost you a £20 or so.

I have used this trick a couple of times on jobs with the same problem.

HTH

V.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom