Question Help! Musical Fidelity A3 Duel Mono Integrated Amp went up in smoke!!

MTBMAN

Novice Member
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and find this site very interesting, I can probably lose hours and hours here!

Last night my much loved Musical Fidelity A3 Dual Mono Integrated amp went up in smoke & filled the room with the glorious smell of what reminds me of toy caps as a kid then blew the ring main :(.

This morning I took off the lid to see what caused the problem & it looks like the mains capacitor (linked between the live & neutral directly behind where the power cable is plugged in) has failed/melted & caused a straight short between the live & neutral.

My problem is because the capacitor has melted I can't read it to get another. The info I can read are as follows: RIFA
P** 271 M
4***00/56/B
250 VAC

On the back, as follows:
275 v~
Unfortunately, all other info has melted away. Can anyone help identify this? Soldering another one on looks an easy job but unless I can identify the part I'm too worried about the damage that could be caused.

Many thanks.

Khankat

I suggest you contact MF and ask them for relevant information. Make a note of your amp serial number and quote it in correspondence. Hopefully, someone here with knowledge of the amp will respond.

wine man

If you're in the UK Henley (who also handle Project & Ortofon) are now the agents & service people for M.Fid.

MTBMAN

Novice Member
Thank you for your replys.

Over the last few hours, I've learnt a few things about capacitors.

Just in case this happens to anyone else it is a RIFA PME 271M 220n X2 capacitor.

The numbers which would have been 40/100/56/B only relate to climate (min temp, max temp, days of continuous usage) so when looking for a part in this application anything meeting or slightly exceeding these would do.

Got a bag of five from RS component for £14.00 so I'll sort it next week.

Thank you again for all the help, I will keep the info & links in case anything else crops up.

👍

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom