1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help much appreciated.......

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by darkprincess, Feb 1, 2003.

1. darkprincess

darkprincess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am hoping to get some advice from people on buying a camcorder. I have never owned or used one before so I bought Camcorder User to see if I could get some insight into the differences etc as my local electronics store did not seem very knowlageable.

I appologise If I should have posted these somewhere else or looked somewhere else for the answers but I really don't have the time to go through loads of threads as I am getting the Camcorder for my birthday which is this week.

Basically I would like to know the difference between getting a Hi8, Digital8 or DV. I already have a digital camera so this is not such an important factor but is it wiser to get a digital one anyway?

Also, what is "White Balance" and is it important to have this as I have noticed that not all of them do. In particular the one I was origionally looking at - Digital8 SONY DCR - TRV 140. I also see that it does not have other functions such as "Edit", colour viewfinder, ext. mike and headphones and only an optical out connection.

I would like to know if these things really make a difference and what the o-i actually is as I am not sure.

My budget is about £450 and the other models I am looking at are
    JVC GR-DVL160
    PANASONIC NV-DS29
    SONY DCR-TRV 16

all are DV cams, I cannot decide which would be the best buy. Basically I am looking to make short films and then just general filming of events etc.

Sorry this post is so long but any help would be greatly appreciated!:)

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Hi8 is analogue and therefore lower quality. It is also more difficalt to get the video onto a PC to edit (if you are thinking about doing this)
    Digital8 is as the name suggests digital. It is a Sony only format that uses cheaper 8mm tapes but has less features than DV. Useful if you have an old 8mm camcorder as you can play back your old tapes on this camcorder.
    DV is the most common and feature laden format and IMHO the most future proof of all formats.
    White balance is just as the name suggests. It allows you to adjust the balance of whites so they look true white. If videoing a stage play etc. the coloured lights stop white looking true. Most camcorders adjust this automatically and do an ok job of it, but to get true whites you need to adjust it manually.
    All these functions are handy if you will use them. Most people who only want to use their camcorder for general use will never really need these features.
    Go and play with the camcorders and see which one you feel most comfortable with and only then will you be able to decide which cam to buy.

Mark.