1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help MStatio switches on but doesn't boot

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by skapegrace, May 30, 2005.

1. skapegrace

skapegrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys
    new to the forum

i got a toyota soarer installed with a 10gb ver1 MStation.
    It's been working fine for about 10 months but now it just turns on but stays on the boot screen and doesn't go to the song title display

anyone got any ideas, it's really annoying

thanks

2. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you changed anything to do with the cars electrics? or blown a fuse in the main power supply feed to the M-Staition? I seem to remember that the M-Station needs quite a high ampage to run. I had the same problem running my M-Station off a power adapter in the house. The adaptor did not put out enough amps so I never got past the boot screen. A bigger amp adapter fixed it.

I would say it's either something to do with the power feed or the hard drive has become corrupt. Try putting a spare HD in it and format it, put some fresh tunes on and check it. If that works you know it's the hard disk.

Any old HD should work, I stuck and old 1.6 gig in my old M-Station and that worked fine.

Good luck.

3. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you put a new hard drive in it must be formatted with FAT32.
    I'd agree with Techno Freak and say it looks like a hard drive or powerr fault.
    It might sound stupid, but have you started the car first, then switched the M-Station on? Before I fitted a DC-DC convertor, my M-Station would only spin up with the engine on.
    For more in-depth help check out the Neo (international name for the M-Station) forum.

4. skapegrace

skapegrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey thanks for the reply
    i haven't touched the electrics lately apart from adding HID headlights but the mstation was working after the lights were installed. i dont think it's a power issue cos the hard drive and display unit do come on plus i can hear the hard drive in the boot spinning.

reckon the hard drive is corrupt?

5. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I had the old power adapter my unit still lit up and the HD still span, it just would'nt get past the boot screen. Correct amps sorted it, it must have just needed a bit extra juice to kickstart it.

It does seem unlikely that it is the power source if it worked fine before. Just see if yo can borrow a spare HD from someone to try out first.

6. skapegrace

skapegrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm problem

i don't know anyone else with a mstation HD, or should i just replace the IDE drive within the HD unit.

aaargh, need music to drive hehe

7. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any old IDE HD will do. As MikeFish said though, it must be formatted to FAT32 first.

Just grab an old IDE HD, probably best to use one the same or less capacity than your M-Station one first just in case the M-Station firmware doesnt support one bigger.

Stick it in your PC as a slave and format it to FAT32.

Copy some MP3's on it and bung it in the M-Station - see what happens.

Do you have the caddy in your PC for the M-Station for copying songs to it? Have you put in in your PC since it stopped working to check your PC can still see it? If your PC cannot see the M-Station HD when you put it in the PC caddy then you know the HD is shot, or corrupted. You could try re-formatting that one to see if it is just corrupt?

Good luck.....