Help moving iTunes Media folder - it won't let me

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by Triggaaar, Jan 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I'm going mad here. I've installed a new SSD and installed Win 7, and I don't want all my iTunes and apps etc wasting space on it.

So I installed iTunes on a separate drive, and pointed it to my music folder. But it still put my apps in c:\users\trig\MyMusic\iTunes
    So I followed the Apple advice here. (edit > preferences > advanced).
    After changing the folder location, I try to delete the original folder, but it won't let me, because iTunes is still using it. If I exit iTunes and delete the folder, as soon as I start iTunes again the folder is recreated and iTunes resets to using the folder on C: again. ARGHHHHHH!

Could someone help me please :)

2. next010

next010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,036
    If you dont mind starting from scratch with a new library - you will have to re-import any music/videos, possibly re-download purchased apps.

1) Create a new folder for iTunes on the other drive (don't use existing one).
    2) Hold down shift key and start iTunes.
    3) Select create new library and point it at the empty folder.
    4) Import all your media, download apps again.

That should do it and everything including apps should be installed on the new media library location.

The official Apple method you mention should be working but why it isnt I cant say.

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I have found a solution.
    I wanted to avoid re-downloading apps, as I want a long term solution for times like these, and there's no 'one button' option for downloading purchased apps.

Win7 had 'c:\users\trig\MyMusic' as my default music folder (same sort of thing as with MyDocuments, MyPictures etc. I uninstalled iTunes, moved all the Win7 default files (go to folder, properties, location - move etc). Then when I installed iTunes and moved the drive, it accepted it.

Stupid Apple.

4. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    That's the obvious way of doing it. If you had simply closed iTunes, moved the files to another drive, reopened iTunes and forced it to set up a new library and pointed at the new location then it would have been sorted by now. No need to uninstall iTunes at all.

You need to understand the way iTunes works. The media is only a small part of it, with the database of where and what the media is being the other main part.

Moving the media is nothing without living the DB too. You need to move the whole thing and then point tunes to that location. Nothing stupid about it.

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    How do you force iTunes to set up a new Library, and point it at your location?

I've no problem with the idea that you need to move the DB too.
    When you go to edit > preferences, and move your media folder, then next time you open iTunes you find it ignored you, that seems pretty stupid. If you need to move something else too, or change another setting, iTunes should tell you.

So exactly how (which menu item etc) should you do it?

6. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,453
    You don't install iTunes on a separate drive; iTunes is a program that runs within an operating system. You can choose to have your media located on another drive (internal, external or network), but iTunes runs in the OS like any other program.

Anyway, as bpsmith said, you need to understand that iTunes isn't the home of your music - it's a front end, a gui, to use music and video files stored in a location. It's a database, catalogue, and media player. It's also a lot more powerful than people give it credit for, but thats a different story ;)

Anyway, how to move a library folder.

Open iTunes, go to Preferences > Advanced, and change the location of the default iTunes Media Folder. Also, tick the two check boxes for keeping the iTunes Media Folder organised and the one for copying to the iTunes Media Folder when adding to the library; it makes life a LOT simpler. Then, got to FILE > LIBRARY > ORGANIZE LIBRARY and choose CONSOLIDATE LIBRARY. iTunes will now move all your music from it's original location to the new location you chose, and organise it by Artist > Album > Song while it's at it.

Finally, check that the songs play, and check they have been moved in both of two ways. Firstly, open the new location and check the files are there. Then, in the iTunes main interface, right click a bunch of random songs and select SHOW IN EXPLORER and check the location of the windows that open (they should be of the new location you chose). With all that being done and correct, iTunes has now moved your library and the music files to a new location on a different drive.

7. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Couldn't have put it better myself!

8. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Well you can, but I don't think it takes up much space, so maybe you don't need to.

Yes, and many of us choose not to install some programs on the C: drive.

Obviously.
    I did all that, and it simply didn't work. Note that there wasn't any music to move, the music was already where I wanted it, and it was a fresh install of iTunes (following SSD installation) and I was trying to tell iTunes where my music was. But each time I restarted iTunes, it looked at where Win7 thought the default 'MyMusic' was, and it set that as the media location, regardless of the fact I'd told it where my media was.

It just looks like this is an issue with the current version of iTunes. I followed the steps correctly and iTunes just wouldn't have it.

9. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Enough with the flippant replies fella. We're just trying to help here and you seem beyond help by the sounds of things.

The instructions Matt posted wont help you when you haven't actually added the Music to iTunes. Just simply setting the location to where you have Music saved is not correct. You have to add it to the iTunes DB either by dragging it onto the iTunes window or by dragging into the automatically add to iTunes folder.

Then if you had followed Matt's instructions it would end up in the desired location and stay that way.

10. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I'm always extremely grateful when people help me. Here, however, we're just talking about how iTunes works, as you will note I solved my issue before you saw the thread. If I'm being flippant it's because I didn't like the way the replies seemed to suggest that I didn't understand what iTunes was, and that iTunes works perfectly.

When first loading iTunes, I looked in the heading for a way of adding my music to it - under File I saw the option: Add Folder to Library, which seemed like a sensible option. Under Edit Preferences, I saw the location of the Library (which was my new SSD) and I didn't want to add my music to my c: drive (it wouldn't fit anyway) so I googled to check, then moved the Library - which doesn't work. That does seem stupid to me.

So if I'd have added music to the Library, would that music have stayed in the same physical location, even though the Library was set as on my c: drive (ie, the location of the library is really just the location of a catalogue)?:
    a) if so, that would be fine, but it's not exactly clear that's what would happen (Library is a good name for where you store all your books, or music - it wouldn't be a good name for the location of the catalogue of your books/music).
    b) if not, then I'd have had to add one song to the library, just so that I could then move it - that would be daft.