Help!!! Mission Upgrade.

W

WBC

I currently own Eltax Symphony 6 Front Floorstanders, Mission 77c Centre, Mission 771 as rears and Yamaha 305 Subwoofer.

Although I have been relatively happy with them, I'm thinking of upgrading the Eltax to Mission 773e's. Will I see a big difference in quality or could the money be better spent??? If so on what?? (Are the Missions a good choice?)

I have also noticed quite a few threads talking about 'Large' & 'Small' settings for speakers. I understand the reasons for pushing the bass to the sub in movies, but does the same go for music???? I'm guessing (dumb-ass) that I will need to keep the sub on for listening to music??

All help and suggestions appreciated!!!
Stace.

Hi Stace
I have not heard the Eltax's, but if you were to upgrade to 773e this would give you a much more balanced and tonally matched set up. There will be a set up in quality and your set will look much nicer too:)

As for large or small settings your best best is to try different settings & see which you prefer.
When listening to music I have my fronts set to large with sub crossover set to 80. but I do like to feel my music too :D

Originally posted by Samir
Hi Stace
I have not heard the Eltax's, but if you were to upgrade to 773e this would give you a much more balanced and tonally matched set up. There will be a set up in quality and your set will look much nicer too:)

As for large or small settings your best best is to try different settings & see which you prefer.
When listening to music I have my fronts set to large with sub crossover set to 80. but I do like to feel my music too :D

What he said!

But yes, I think the money would be well spent. Those cheap ass speakers are bringing your setup down IMO.

Thanks for your help guys!

Unless there are any better suggestions I think I'll grab a pair.

Cheers
Stace.

Hi Stace,

I currently have 773e's on left and right duties in my setup and have been very satisfied with them. The Eltax are fair enough starter speakers but the Mission's are class above in every respect.

Saying that they do have there limitations. The 773e even though a floorstander aren't that heavy in the bass department and also are not the most neutral speaker in the world. Mission speakers tend to colour the sound with their own, how can I put it "sound" if that makes sense. Some people love it some people hate it. I for one quiet like it. They have a nice warm feel to them. It's like listening to an old friend when you fire them up.

If you get the chance you might want to have a listen to the Mission m73i and the m74i. These are the updated versions on the m73 and m74 (you don't say! :) ) and have improved internal bracing and up rated crossovers. I had a listen to them over the weekend and I thought they were extremely good value for money. The m74i in particular was very impressive with bags of tight bass and very cohesive mid/top end. HiFi Junkies are doing the m73i for £135 and the m74i for £209. Bang for buck they have to be one of the best out there.

Cheers

Dave

Thanx!

I was going to pick up the 773e's on Saturday but now I'll think I'll wait. Sounds like the m74i's are my best bet. Will try to check them out at the weekend.

Your help is appreciated.
Stace

I know someone whos got a great pair of Mission 774's in the classified section - I've heard the M74 and the 774's are 'tons' better !!

Originally posted by common
I know someone whos got a great pair of Mission 774's in the classified section - I've heard the M74 and the 774's are 'tons' better !!

I must agree if you can get hold of a pair of 774's then I would go for it. They have none of the drawbacks of the 773e's and the bass reproduction is much better. I would still try to get a listen to the m74i though as this is a much better speaker than the normal m74. The extra rigid internal bracing and the new crossovers have really made a difference.

Cheers

Dave

Even better are the mission 775es. I bought a pair half price from Sevenoaks for £400 (in beech).....and I love em:D

I'll second the recomendation for the 774's. I have a pair and they have a much fuller and meatier sound than the 773e's. They are great with music and stunning with films. Mind you I do help them out with a Strata 3 ;)

Look around for a pair. You will not regret it

In other words, get a demo of the speakers with your fav film/music and trust your own ears!

F.

Sorry to highjack the thread, but I have a quick question. If I upgrade my 773e's to 775e's or similar, will I need to upgrade the rear and centre also? or will they 'blend' with my existing setup?

I am planning on upgrading the receiver to a dennon 3802 soon.

The rest of my setup is as follows:
Sony STR-D940
Rears: Mission 77DS
Centre: Mission 77c1
Sub: Para Servo 15

Thanks,
ShyBoy

All of the Mission77 series are tonally matched and will sound great together.

The problem is that they are no longer freely available but can usually be got second hand.

RS advertise stock from time to time but they seem to have vanished into the ether by the time you actually phone up to query it :confused:

The problem is that they are no longer freely available but can usually be got second hand.
Surly the 775s are new speakers and most hi-fi shops should stock them? why second hand?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom