1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! Mission 704 vs Mordaunt-Short 906????

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Floatyboaty, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Floatyboaty

Floatyboaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone advise? Want a decent pair of floorstanders that can handle drum & bass, hip hop etc. (ie fat bass). Have found both these speakers (Mission 704 & Mordaunt-Short 906) for £300. I erred towards the Missions as they have an active subwoofer, but the shop bloke said that wasn't a good thing and that the bass was muddy. He recommended the Mordaunts instead but the Missions get good reviews on Ebay's consumer thing and are reduced from £700! Anyone able to give any informed advice?

Thanks.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Afternoon Mate. Been to Richer Sounds? Actually the bloke in that store is probably right this time :eek: about the Missions - they do have a muddier lowend than the MS's. However if it was my cash, I'd look at the Mission M74's for superb bass with House Music if you want floorstanders or B&W 602 S3 for (large) bookshelf. Both sound better than the first two you mention and the 602's are about the best under £300 around. What source/amp are you partnering them with?

3. Floatyboaty

Floatyboaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply - my amp is a Technics SU A600 MK3. Not a huge audiophile, to be honest; just don't want to shell out a load of money for essentially substandard speakers. A friend has the MS 908's (with the 10" subs) & raves about them, so I imagine the 906's are OK. Can they handle the bass, though....?

4. Floatyboaty

Floatyboaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and it was at Richer Sounds that I was recommended the MS's over the Missions.

5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a number of speakers which may fit the bill for you - but just out are the Diamond8.4s from Wharfedale at £300 - could be worth a look.

At Richers, you could look at Dali Suite 2.5, Mission 774, Eltax Symphony 8.2s, as well as those already mentioned.
    As for advice at Richers, I suppose it depends on the shop, but in my experience it's the saleman's mission to sell you whatever he has in stock at the time (there I go getting all cynical again :) )

Another alternative could be a pair of Mission 702e for £80, coupled with a £200 subwoofer. Any decent subwoofer will be able to plumb depths that only a very few floorstanders can get anywhere near (and then only when driven by very powerful amplifiers). Whether it's your cup of tea is another matter - but it wouldn't hurt to try it, before buying.

6. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the 702e's and Paradigm's PS1000... more bass than you can handle for £230 :D :p

7. Floatyboaty

Floatyboaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plenty to chew on there. Think I'll get a pair of £300 floorstanders & get a sub later, when I can afford it - best of both worlds. I'll look into the 74's & 774's. Thanks again.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Mission 704a are currently £199.95/pr at RS, IIRC. They're probably the pick as they have internal active subs and are now at around £650 off rrp.

Mike.