Help! Microphone buzzing is driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by AlanS86, Dec 1, 2017.

1. AlanS86

AlanS86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hey everyone,

I hope this is the right place to be posting this but if not can a mod please move it to the appropriate place?

I'm having an issue with my MocMic 5.0 and it's a bit of a story so I'll include some pictures and background to keep it clear.

I am using the following setup:

[​IMG]

To explain this the ModMic 5.0 is a detachable microphone. It has a very short 3.5mm cable coming from it and is supplied with two separate lengths of extension cable which I connected it to. Next was a little USB sound card to reduce background noise and to allow comparability to with the PS4. Finally a USB connection to either the PS4 or PC.

For the first two weeks of owning it I honestly couldn't have been happier. Really a great little microphone. I have test recordings of it sounding incredibly clear so I know at this stage it was working.

One day I started to get a rather loud buzz/hum, it's a persistent sound that cycles between getting louder/quieter. I have recordings of this and other people can hear it (as can I when I listen back to the audio).

To fix this I tried the following:

1) Removed the USB sound card from the above setup and connected it directly to the PC - No luck
    2) Tried the shorter 3.5mm Female to Male extension cable provided - No luck

Sent it back and got a replacement ModMic 5.0.

Received it back and had the exact same issues. Thought the USB sound card might be faulty so I also had this replaced but to no avail.

Upon some further testing I found out that I could get the mic to work perfectly if I removed the Female to Male extension cable from the equation. I can even get the noise to occur if I just have the extension cable plugged in directly to the pc or into the sound card with the either the pc or ps4...

I'm probably going to have to buy another extension cable to test if it really is the cable or not but I thought I'd post on here first to see if I could get any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!