1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help meh choose a sub.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Hysteria, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya all, Well I just got my first receiver a few days ago and I ordered some nice ikle satellite speakers to go. Ne way I thought I’d get the sub separate from the spears and now I duno what to chose.

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPP-Home_Audio_Speakers_and_Subwoofers--sub~S-213

Been looking on there two have caught my eye

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Sony_SA_WD100]Sony SA-WD100

The Sony has something about it that for £100 just seems like the right decision.

Now if I stretch my debit card to what's we've got left we have the Eltax Now there's something appealing about this maybe because it just looks good. I was thinking though it just kind of looks like it will make one hell of a noise rather than rich, deep, precise base which is what I want.

If you could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated,

Thanks
    Hysteria

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Rich, deep, precise bass is expensive and unfortunately it can't be bought for £100. Having read the spec of the Sony sub I wouldn't call it a subwoofer a tall as most of it's woofing will be done in the mid band region. It is using a 5.25" speaker driver which is the same size as the mid range driver in my satellites.

Rather than rich, deep precise bass all you will get from either of these two is distorted, flabby lower mid range and I would suggest that what you are asking for is available at the cheapest in the Mordaunt Short MS309 at £220 or in a second hand Paradigm

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I agree with Ian. Your best bet within your budget is probably a second hand Paradigm PDR-10 which can be picked up for ~£80 and turn up fairly regularly both in the classifieds here and on eBay. Of course you do need an 18 year old friend to partake in either of those activities.

If you must have one of those 2 then go with the Eltax but I suspect you'll want to improve on it within a very short space of time. ;)

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Got to agree with John, a paradigm is a definate step up from the budget subs I've tried.
    I have a PDR8 which has a nice fast punchy sound and out performs my old Gale Sub 10 easily.

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  6. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    Ill have to agree as well.
    Either spend a bit more or look second hand. youll be really disapointed with a £100 sub. I bought a yamaha sub(£150) about 5 years ago and thought it was great until i heard an REL sub 3 days later!

Mark

7. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alrite then cool, Does anyone know exacily where i could find a Paradigm PDR-10?. I just did an ebay world wide search and nothing came u.

8. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
  9. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    hope i can do this ...i have pdr10 (black) i'll be selling in the next couple of days i was hoping to get £100 for it on ebay ...

not sure what it will cost to post tho..its V heavy

pm me or mod delete if this is not allowed

10. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    To stay within the forum rules you should start a 'for sale' thread in the classifieds. This is to protect both the buyer and the seller in the event that something goes wrong with a transaction.

Cheers, Mylo :)

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Unfortunately due to a couple of problems caused by one particular minor we have had to amend the rules and under 18's aren't allowed to trade in the classified forum any more.

12. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    :blush: sorry Ian, missed the guys age.

13. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about if my dad does it on my acount?, or we can exchange phone numbers and my dad can talk to him?.

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Why not get your father to register as "Hysteria's Dad" and he can place the ad and conduct negotiations on your behalf.

As long as your dad doesn't log on during school hours and surf from your school's IP address as someone else's "mum" once did, although she could have been a dinner lady I suppose :rotfl:

15. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol, my dad isn't computer literate enough to register at a forum and start posting. The number idea is much easyer.

16. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I just hooked up an old Cambridge Soundworks sub to my receiver. I now know what it will feel like when I buy a crap sub. So if I save a little longer I could prolly get that Mordaunt. Is it really worth the extra £120?. Just remember I’m flat broke after buying my new receiver and sats.

17. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It really is worth the extra. Similarly, if a decent model turns up whilst you're saving then you could always just take that and be done with it :smashin:

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A crap sub will probably sound great for a week until the novelty wears off and the shortcomings make themselves obvious. It is a shame that you have smalls sats as I would have recommended that you go without a sub until you can afford something a bit better.

In fact I still do recommend that. In years to come you will upgrade the amp and speakers but will be able to keep the same sub as it will partner much more expensive speakers.

19. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a very good point. One that never accrued to me. But I can't just save that much money I need so many new things for instance a new TV. I'm almost happy with the base that my sats produce at the moment it's just that certain things, for instance the helicopters in black hawk down lack depth. But I do know what you guys are saying. By the way I’ve seen a another sub I like http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=2351

20. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I don't think anyone on the forum has experience of that Tannoy model. If you can afford to spend that much though a whole new world opens up to you :)

I own one of these:
    http://www.bkelec.com/new/special_offers/sp5.htm
    and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it. Plenty of information about it on the forums but you're conisdering spending 300% of your original budget which is quite a jump, although undoubtedly worth it if you're serious about the hifi/AV scene.

21. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sub is georgeous, and it's British :clap:. I think that's the sub i want. :D

22. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It's much, much better in the flesh :devil:

23. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There was someone who had that sub and spoke highly of it but she has long disappeared from the scene.

I still have the pics though :D

24. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've heard about that, it wasn't Vikki was it?

25. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    O O i got a nother question, What's the point in a sub having a digital amp?.

26. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    If I remember digital amps are lighter, smaller and produce less heat than analogue amps.

27. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So nothing major then.

28. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Digital amplifiers are far more efficient than solid state amplifiers. Digital amplifiers perform the amplification in the digital domain (ie. 1's and 0's for those who aren't technically minded) whilst "regular" amplifiers use transistors in various configurations. As transistors are current amplifiers they tend to get very hot (so inefficient).

For this reason, "regular" solid state amplifiers need to have good heat dissipation (ie. large heatsinks) and are limited in size. Digital amplifiers are about 90% efficient so in a similar sized enclosure can produce much more power - hence digital amps usually produce several hundred watts at least whilst solid state amps would have to be very big and get very hot in order to provide that sort of power.

Digital amps tend to produce a more clinical sound than "regular" amps so the majority of amplifiers for "normal" speakers are still solid state. (Most modern Sony models have digital amplifier sections and all of the slim receivers use digital amplifiers). For a subwoofer, however, the only real consideration is having lots of power and low distortion which is easy in the digital domain.

So basically what DFour said ;) . There's plenty of information on the internet about Class A, AB, B and D amplifiers if you're interested in the technology behind it. :)

29. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  30. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I couldnt have put it better myself :rotfl:

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I should be hosting a get together of a few people off here and there subwoofers and having a good comparson session inc the 309 :D, XLS200 and the Kef PSW2500 and hopefully something from Tons of fun. Hopefully the Brand new MS 409 :clap: or a 909 :devil:

All results and feelings will be posted on this forum :smashin: