Help meh choose a sub.

H

Hysteria

Hiya all, Well I just got my first receiver a few days ago and I ordered some nice ikle satellite speakers to go. Ne way I thought I’d get the sub separate from the spears and now I duno what to chose.

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPP-Home_Audio_Speakers_and_Subwoofers--sub~S-213

Been looking on there two have caught my eye

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Sony_SA_WD100]Sony SA-WD100

The Sony has something about it that for £100 just seems like the right decision.

Now if I stretch my debit card to what's we've got left we have the Eltax Now there's something appealing about this maybe because it just looks good. I was thinking though it just kind of looks like it will make one hell of a noise rather than rich, deep, precise base which is what I want.

If you could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated,

Thanks
Hysteria

Hysteria said:
rather than rich, deep, precise base which is what I want.

Rich, deep, precise bass is expensive and unfortunately it can't be bought for £100. Having read the spec of the Sony sub I wouldn't call it a subwoofer a tall as most of it's woofing will be done in the mid band region. It is using a 5.25" speaker driver which is the same size as the mid range driver in my satellites.

Rather than rich, deep precise bass all you will get from either of these two is distorted, flabby lower mid range and I would suggest that what you are asking for is available at the cheapest in the Mordaunt Short MS309 at £220 or in a second hand Paradigm

I agree with Ian. Your best bet within your budget is probably a second hand Paradigm PDR-10 which can be picked up for ~£80 and turn up fairly regularly both in the classifieds here and on eBay. Of course you do need an 18 year old friend to partake in either of those activities.

If you must have one of those 2 then go with the Eltax but I suspect you'll want to improve on it within a very short space of time. ;)

Got to agree with John, a paradigm is a definate step up from the budget subs I've tried.
I have a PDR8 which has a nice fast punchy sound and out performs my old Gale Sub 10 easily.

Ill have to agree as well.
Either spend a bit more or look second hand. youll be really disapointed with a £100 sub. I bought a yamaha sub(£150) about 5 years ago and thought it was great until i heard an REL sub 3 days later!

Mark

Alrite then cool, Does anyone know exacily where i could find a Paradigm PDR-10?. I just did an ebay world wide search and nothing came u.

hope i can do this ...i have pdr10 (black) i'll be selling in the next couple of days i was hoping to get £100 for it on ebay ...

not sure what it will cost to post tho..its V heavy

pm me or mod delete if this is not allowed

To stay within the forum rules you should start a 'for sale' thread in the classifieds. This is to protect both the buyer and the seller in the event that something goes wrong with a transaction.

Cheers, Mylo :)

mylo said:
put an ad in the classified forum.

Unfortunately due to a couple of problems caused by one particular minor we have had to amend the rules and under 18's aren't allowed to trade in the classified forum any more.

:blush: sorry Ian, missed the guys age.

Ian J said:
Unfortunately due to a couple of problems caused by one particular minor we have had to amend the rules and under 18's aren't allowed to trade in the classified forum any more.

How about if my dad does it on my acount?, or we can exchange phone numbers and my dad can talk to him?.

Hysteria said:
How about if my dad does it on my acount?, or we can exchange phone numbers and my dad can talk to him?.

Why not get your father to register as "Hysteria's Dad" and he can place the ad and conduct negotiations on your behalf.

As long as your dad doesn't log on during school hours and surf from your school's IP address as someone else's "mum" once did, although she could have been a dinner lady I suppose :rotfl:

Ian J said:
Why not get your father to register as "Hysteria's Dad" and he can place the ad and conduct negotiations on your behalf.

As long as your dad doesn't log on during school hours and surf from your school's IP address as someone else's "mum" once did, although she could have been a dinner lady I suppose :rotfl:

lol, my dad isn't computer literate enough to register at a forum and start posting. The number idea is much easyer.

Right, I just hooked up an old Cambridge Soundworks sub to my receiver. I now know what it will feel like when I buy a crap sub. So if I save a little longer I could prolly get that Mordaunt. Is it really worth the extra £120?. Just remember I’m flat broke after buying my new receiver and sats.

Hysteria said:
Is it really worth the extra £120?. Just remember I’m flat broke after buying my new receiver and sats.

A crap sub will probably sound great for a week until the novelty wears off and the shortcomings make themselves obvious. It is a shame that you have smalls sats as I would have recommended that you go without a sub until you can afford something a bit better.

In fact I still do recommend that. In years to come you will upgrade the amp and speakers but will be able to keep the same sub as it will partner much more expensive speakers.

That's a very good point. One that never accrued to me. But I can't just save that much money I need so many new things for instance a new TV. I'm almost happy with the base that my sats produce at the moment it's just that certain things, for instance the helicopters in black hawk down lack depth. But I do know what you guys are saying. By the way I’ve seen a another sub I like http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=2351

I don't think anyone on the forum has experience of that Tannoy model. If you can afford to spend that much though a whole new world opens up to you :)

I own one of these:
http://www.bkelec.com/new/special_offers/sp5.htm
and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it. Plenty of information about it on the forums but you're conisdering spending 300% of your original budget which is quite a jump, although undoubtedly worth it if you're serious about the hifi/AV scene.

eviljohn2 said:
I don't think anyone on the forum has experience of that Tannoy model.

There was someone who had that sub and spoke highly of it but she has long disappeared from the scene.

I still have the pics though :D

O O i got a nother question, What's the point in a sub having a digital amp?.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom