1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP MEEE!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mattd, Dec 11, 2000.

1. mattd

mattd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look, I've got this projector right? And I've got a problem which I posted over a week ago but have had no replies yet. As you all seem to know more than me about LCD projectors I am hoping someone can help me sort things out. The text below details the problem but basically, the video image is being scaled in the x direction showing some lines of interpolation. I need to know if this is normal for a 800x600 projector when displaying a video image, (note that my previous message follows).

If just managed to get hold of a CTX EzPro 550 LCD projector from a corporate presentations company. I was familliar with the kit, nicknamed the CYCLOPS, due to its pop up lens, having read many reviews of it and similar ones from the same range, (the 540 was reviewed by HCCO a year or so ago). Initially I was very pleased. The picture quality was cool, loads of options, free carry case - it was mint. But when I actually started to use the thing for video, I noticed that about every 15 vertical lines there was a distortion in the form of some lines which looked out of sequence. At first I thought it just to be poor interpolation, but I am increasingly convinced that the kit ain't working right. This is a great pity as the thing actually suits my needs perfectly, and the picture quality is much better than other "cheap" projectors I have seen. I am considering returning my 550, but as CPD do not have a replacement currently, I would be facing a Christmas without Mr Bond diving across a ten foot screen, or the death star blowing into my living room, and I was rather looking forward to that. I would appreciate any help advice or suggestions from anyone more in the know than myself. Please note that I am using the compostie video input and that this problem only occours on vertical lines, nothing is wrong with the horizontal. I do not have any kit which uses the SVHS socket. If you don't know the EzPro series, its based on a single 6.5cm TFT panel giving a native resolution of 600 X 800, compression allows for up to 768 X 1024. The review in the mag is of the EzPro 500 which doesn't mention any similar problems, (the 500 series uses a metal halide lamp, not a halogen, and cannot display SVGA without additional intefacing).

2. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know the projector specifically but I do know that this generation of LCD projectors (and I think it's still true) address the panel in 16 line blocks, so a consistent error down the panel looks to me like an error in the addressing electronics or shift registers causing a single pixel (or so) to be lost each time that that section is addressed.

Short of sending the unit in for repair, which will mean atleast a new electronics board and possibly a new panel as well, there is nothing that can be done!

Sorry if this isn't very promising, but this problem has probably been on the unit from new and most likely was not prominent on PC type stuff.

RichardA

[This message has been edited by RichardA (edited 12-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by RichardA (edited 12-12-2000).]

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    As RichardA says, this problem is most likley a limitation of the projector.

I've seen similar things via the video inputs of other LCD and DLP projectors. The finger of blame has been pointed at poor quality video scalers used in projectors designed for the PC Presentation market.

If you decide to return the CTX, you should look out for the new Sanyo PLV30 DV-Theatre LCD projector.

This has a very good scaler and does both 4:3 and 16:9 well. Excellent contrast ratio (400:1) and quite fan (39dB). It is also compatible with Standard and Progressive Scan Component video . Retail is about £2300 inc VAT.

Good luck

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Regional Sales Manager-N.England & Scotland
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk