1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP - Media Center track wont play

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mrmcdean, May 9, 2005.

1. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I recently built a new PC and used my old hard drive to save money, at the same time I removed windows ME and changed to XP Pro. I have loads on music on my hard drive which still shows up when media player searched the hard drive for files and obviously I want to play it but the new windows wont let me as it says I need a license. I own all of the original CDs and could always remove and re copy them (backed up a new cd yesterday and it lets me play from the hard drive) but it would take ages.

I get an error message when I click the button that pops up asking you to obtain a license (license migration) saying netscape does not have microsoft media services plug ins installed. Ive searched for these but dont really know what im looking for ??

Can I sort this or do I have a busy weekend ahead of me ?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My guess is that you ripped the CDs using WMP.

If so you got caught out by the moronic default setting which makes them copy-protected, this creates a license file which you need to back-up in case you ever re-install the system in thew way you have. You need to go into the Preferences and disable this cretinous option if it is still being set by default on new installations.

Welcome to the glorious world of DRM.

3. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Nuts..... :suicide:

Does this mean that as all my files were copied via this method Im going to have to copy them all again ?

If so I think I'll go for MP3 format rather then WMA

Cheers for the info. :)