Help me with Pioneer inputs - new guy

the-oneil

Standard Member
Dear members

I am new here so hopefully I will not make a fool of myself

I have a Pioneer plasma screen which I bought early last year from Sevenoaks. It is the PDP504 model and is connected to a Pioneer AX5i AV Amp in a 5.1 system.

I have Sky+, DVD and VCR connected to it.

Input 1: Sky+ (RGB Scart)
Input 2: My VCR (Svideo)
input 3: DVD (component)
input 4: empty (HDMI)

Now my question / dilemma

I am buying a modified xbox with a highdef kit, this is not a problem as I can always connect it (the xbox) along with the DVD player via component to my AX5i Amp and then component from the AX5i to input 3 on the plasma

BUT
I am replacing Sky+ with either Telewest new TVDrive or Sky+ new HD box when it is available. Now, as I read from this forum that Input 4 will not work with Input 3 - Am I correct?!

I was planning on connecting the HDMI (SKY or Telewest box) to the HDMI input.

I am not keen on keeping the VCR, so if anyone has a solution envolving dropping the VCR from the equation - no problem.

One more piece of information: I heard from another cable forum that the TVdrive from Telewest can output HD through component.

I hope what I said made sense and that someone can provide guidance.

Thank you

rEVILospud

Novice Member
the-oneil said:
I am replacing Sky+ with either Telewest new TVDrive or Sky+ new HD box when it is available. Now, as I read from this forum that Input 4 will not work with Input 3 - Am I correct?!
I don't really understand what your asking here.
What do you mean 'will not work with'?
Video inputs don't WORK WITH eachother anyway, you're either viewing one or the other (excluding Picture in Picture [PIP] off course).
I can see no problem with connecting your Sky HD box through HDMI into 'input 4' on your TV, although I believe it will also have component video out too.

the-oneil

Standard Member
Many thanks for the prompt reply.

I did further readings on this and discovered the following
Input 3 : is either Component or HDMI

So it seems that, I have to choose between connecting
1- Any HD box (SKY or Telewest)
2- XBOX (via Hidef kit) and DVD.

This is my dilemma!!

MAW

Banned
There is no solution to this, except a scaler or an HDMI upconverting amp (££££) as Pioneer's shared input is a pain in the butt. This is just 1 reason why I hate working with them. You will have to go into the menu each time you want to change from sky to DVD or x-box I'm afraid. Even an HDMI upconverting amp is iffy, they don't upconvert interlaced sources to progressive, and most HDMI inputs are progressive only, not certain about the Pioneer, I've never read the manual.:oops:

rEVILospud

Novice Member
If the SkyHD or Telewest box have a component out which I believe it will, clicky, then that would solve the problem. You could then plug your DVD, Xbox and HDBox into your Amp and have the component output going into the TV. Although it is a shame not to use the HDMI if it's there.

MAW

Banned
Especially a shame on the Pioneer, which does love it's digital input so much, and is not especially good on component. And of course there is the debate about whether the component output of sky will actually output everything available, and for how long it will output anything. HDCP will turn it off.

the-oneil

Standard Member
rEVILospud said:
If the SkyHD or Telewest box have a component out which I believe it will, clicky, then that would solve the problem. You could then plug your DVD, Xbox and HDBox into your Amp and have the component output going into the TV. Although it is a shame not to use the HDMI if it's there.

MAW & rEVILospud

Many thanks
I was wondering if the AX5i can handle 3 component inputs !!

Will you be able to tell just by looking at the back of it?

Also, I heard that HD will work via component, but there is copyright issues when it might not work!!

I am thinking about something else, not sure if that will work but - hey, you lot are very helpful. I am thinking if I get a programmable remote and teach it how to switch between HDMI and componenet :rolleyes: mabe I could then use HDMI for Sky and keep my DVD & Xbox on component.

I hope MAW could inform me here - or any one guys - thank you

the-oneil

Standard Member
MAW said:
Especially a shame on the Pioneer, which does love it's digital input so much, and is not especially good on component. And of course there is the debate about whether the component output of sky will actually output everything available, and for how long it will output anything. HDCP will turn it off.
MAW
You beat me to the reply concerning the HDCP.

Can I conclude that my options are
1- New Plasma TV :mad:
2-Scaler - whatever that is :confused:
3-Learning remote and teaching it to do the switching for me - like MX700 :lesson:

rEVILospud

Novice Member
It's only got 2 component inputs, here.
But you could get a component switch block thing.

the-oneil

Standard Member
rEVILospud said:
It's only got 2 component inputs, here.
But you could get a component switch block thing.
Well
I don't watch that much DVDs so maybe connect the DVD to input 1 (Scart RGB) and the SKY HD & Xbox to share component input 3 Via AX5i!!

Failing that - a learning remote to do the internal hardwork on the menu :)

Anyone

choddo2006

Novice Member
MAW said:
And of course there is the debate about whether the component output of sky will actually output everything available, and for how long it will output anything. HDCP will turn it off.
Will it? Or will they just output analog (that's less of a piracy risk) with no HDCP and HDMI with HDCP? Will be interesting to see how this one develops.

the-oneil

Standard Member
Here is another wacky thought - But if I am way off please don't shoot me.

Can I get a HDMI to VGA cable and connect the SKY or Telewest HD box to Input 4: VGA in the front of the media box. Will it work - I wonder?? :confused:

choddo2006

Novice Member
No, as VGA can't carry a digital signal. You might be able to do that with component though, as long as the TV will accept that on the VGA socket? Panasonics do.

the-oneil

Standard Member
I give up :(

I am left with the three options again
1- New Plasma TV :mad:
2- A Scaler - wonder how will that help me and how much it'll cost - need to read more :confused:
3- A learning remote control ;)

MAW

Banned
Sadly VGA is not an option at all, it's a pants input on this TV for anything except a bit of Ocado or a .ppt A learning remote would be helpful, a scaler would enhance the quality of all inputs. You can now get scalers well under £1k with multiple HD digital and component inputs, and output the lot as 720p DVI/HDMI. The best option for a Pioneer without a doubt. Perhaps an in home demo would convince you, try www.convergent-av.co.uk

the-oneil

Standard Member
Thanks MAW
If I am to consider a scaler, could you recommend me a couple of models that will go with my Kit. Pio 504, Pio AX5i, Xbox (Component), DVD (component) and Sky HD (HDMI)

I really don't want to spend a lot mind you - so definetly below £1000 :lease:

Thanks

rEVILospud

Novice Member
You could get a different receiver or somekind of control centre like this!
Why would they put a HD capable analogue output on the SkyHD box and not allow it to output HD material? They could've saved themselves time and money just providing Scart and HDMI, which covers both bases. I think HDCP is more geared towards HD-DVD and Blue Ray, rather than broadcasted HD material. Whats the worst thing you could do with non-protected SkyHD programs? Record them?!;)

MAW

Banned
It's the Vision DVI you should look at, the price is on Gordon's site in the link above. You can buy direct from the man, with top advice.

the-oneil

Standard Member
rEVILospud said:
...... I think HDCP is more geared towards HD-DVD and Blue Ray, rather than broadcasted HD material. Whats the worst thing you could do with non-protected SkyHD programs? Record them?!;)
rEVILopsud
You know what, I didn't think of it this way!!
You are absolutely right :thumbsup: Why would SKY broadcast for FREE HDCP materials when they should be reserved for DVDs.

Also, why would I want to spend hundreds of pounds on a scaler while I am buying a SKY or Telewest HD box to obtain High definition picture in the first place!!

Most displays provide a pretty good picture for high-definition sources, but they often fall short for standard definition (SDTV) sources. The Vision DVI Video Processor corrects this shortcoming and makes SDTV sources look great on these displays
This quote is from Gordon's website so if I am going to buy a scaler, then I might as well save my cash and stick with SD (my existing old Sky+ box)!!

Am I correct :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom