Help me with my setup!

Spoony734

Novice Member
Hi there,

I'm a bit of a dinosaur and have been using an old LG TV with a BT youview box (no subscription) for ....longer than I can remember. My TV isn't smart, so I have that remote in the drawer and I do everything (power on, navigation and volume) from the BT remote and that drives the box and tv nicely. It sounds weird but I really like only having one remote!

I've decided to get a new TV, which has opened up the possibility of built in Freeview/Freesat or Youview (Sony). I'd be lying if I said the prospect of a dedicated Netflix remote control button didn't excite me! If I understand correctly however, using a TV wouldn't give me recording capability, so it feels as if I need a recorder.

So I think that means a new TV and either stick with the BT box or go with a Freeview one? I do feel like the BT box is a bit slow to respond (especially loading prime) but I do quite like the interface of Youview - although I've never used Freeview.

Questions from me include:-
  • whether it is better to stick with youview or move to Freeview?
  • what differences and advantages Freeview has?
  • whether any of the boxes can also be used as a remote for the new TV
  • whether I can kiss the dream of a netflix button goodbye?

Things I do are pretty basic:-
Netflix
Prime
Catch-up (iPlayer, All4, ITV hub)
Occasionally record stuff via the EPG

All thoughts welcome :)

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
A Freeview PVR is probably your best bet, as your smart TV will give you the apps. Look at Panasonic, Humax or Manhattan. For simplicity, the Manhattan T3-R is likely to be your friend.

Spoony734

Novice Member
A Freeview PVR is probably your best bet, as your smart TV will give you the apps. Look at Panasonic, Humax or Manhattan. For simplicity, the Manhattan T3-R is likely to be your friend.
Annoyingly none of the PVRs seem to have Netflix AND prime.

Might have to stick with my old BY youview box and just focus on the new OLED!

Hainesy

LG TVs (and am sure Samsung et all are same) have built in support all the major VoD apps combined with a really nice UI, plus you can plug a USB hard disk into it and use it for pause live, rewind, and recording live tv. No STB needed

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom