1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help me with my plight

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by monkeyboy69, Dec 15, 2003.

1. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Been looking to upgrade most of my kit and decided to demo the B&W 700 series, unsurprisingly I loved them, which is an understatment (I can do a review from a laymans point of view if anyone is interested) The only issue I have is that the centre channel the HTM7 is huuuggggge. Needless to say the wife has thrown a wobbly and decided to put her foot down, something to do with ruining her decorative lounge.

So she now has asked me to get invisable or as near as dammit speakers (she never specifed specified who made them mind you) So what I'm looking for are small speakers that can give
    the same output as something like the B&W's They need to be as dynamic as possible for films and give that chill factor when listening to stuff in stereo.

I've already heard the anthony galieos, the new kef range and bose and neither really gave the same seperation in stereo or impressed me with films. I can go upto about 2k if needed however I know shes going to find the receipt and saying I bought them with her in mind really isn't going to wash, so feel free to go under this figure.

So am I looking for a holy grail or is it possible, all suggestions welcome or do I just get another wife (bear in mind she makes lovely cakes and these women are hard to come by)

2. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    another alternative is to have speakers that aren't neccesarily small in length/ height but have very little depth 3-4 inches max

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you are using a TV how about buying something like the Soundstyle AV rack and putting the centre speaker on the shelf under the TV

4. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i've got a 36 widescreen which is currently at about 2 foot off the floor, wouldn't putting a pseaker underneath be in the wrong position as it sould be higher than that. I contemplated putting it on top but again it seems like an eye sore (wifes words not mine, I thought it was luvely)

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    You could try M&Ks K series (M&K speakers) . They are a sub/sat system but not like any you've ever heard, most likely. They are very dynamic, brilliant for movies and should provide a fair stab at music as well.

A set of 5 plus a sub should be within your 2K price range.
    You wouldn't need to get one of their own subs (as these are pretty pricey) but the B&W ASW675 would be an alternative.

Chris

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have a 32" widescreen sitting on a Soundstyle AV Rack with my centre speaker sitting quite happily in the rack underneath the TV.