1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me with my HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tim k, Mar 16, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning on upgrading to this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14294&item=5173971986&rd=1

I am going to upgrade the graphics card to this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27387&item=5174427126&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I have a pw6 42" plasma, and i also have a 17" lcd which i want to use in the living room, the plasma for gaming, and the lcd for internet surfing.

I have sky + as well, how should i connect all the screens up?? And will this computer be powerful enough to run hd movies and gaming??

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    One thing I'd caution is the video card .. nice performance for both HT and gaming but it could well be LOUD, 6600s seem to be prone to having noisy fans unless you carefully pick a brand, I'd suggest you browse round here for user's comments. I don't have one, if I were to get one it'd be the Gigabyte fanless or a Galaxy fitted with an Arctic Cooler like the 6800GT I had.

The machine itself looks pretty reasonable, a 3GHz Prescott should be good for current games.

How you connect the screens depends on what type of connections they have and how you want to use the system. Using two separate displays at the same time with different resolutions is about as complex as you can get.

3. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I didn't say it wasn't possible ;) .. just that as you have found Ultramon can take some effort to get running by all accounts.

I've retired my HTPC for most purposes so I'm not fiddling any more. As you'll appreciate A/B testing two graphics cards in a single PC is pretty difficult and all one can really do is take static screenshots, which of course only tell half the story.

In essence my experience was that I really didn't feel there was a difference due to the difference in the cards. Settings were somewhat different, the ATI used Overlay while the NVidia used VMR so several things changed. If the NVIdia is 'better' then it's incremental and not the 'night and day' I see repeated on AVS.

Ultimately my decision came down to the fact that the ATI gave me 50/60 operation while the NVIdia proved totally unreliable at 50 .. whether that was the card, the chipset, my projector I really couldn't say.

Not sure why you think I may have changed my opinion. If someone is posting they plan on getting a 6600 then I don't feel able to dissuade them based on personal experience. However, reading comments here, on AVS and TT it seems that the 6600s can be prone to causing stuttering on systems which should be capable of playback without problems.

If gaming is involved then I personally would got for a 6800GT (I have no problem accepting they're "broken" as far as HD WMV playback is concerned), if not then I'm happy with a 9600 SE. :)

However, I'm in a minority. ;)

5. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    sorry if my reply seemed to imply you didnt think it was possible,not my intention at all.
    i value your opinion.
    regards the graphics cards i was just wondering if your opinion had changed at all since the last two patches to theatertek seem to be geared towards the 6600gt and 6800gt graphics cards...
    like you though i'm still not totally convinced by the quotes on avs and am leaning more towards keeping my 9600 and spending the cash on more h/drive space instead...
    one last question.
    is it possible to run both ide and sata h/drives in the same system?
    and if so,does it matter if the primary drive is ide?

6. gordonfmoore

gordonfmoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Paul,

any chance of describing how you got your 9600 to work with different resolutions at the same time. (or a link?) This is I think my last major challenge. However I am using powerstrip for the vga to scart option and when I last tried having both going I couldn't get anything to stick.

Gordon.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Paul: not wishing to hijack Tim's thread I'll be brief. :)

Certainly TT 2.1's focus on VMR renderless mode will on paper help NVidia more since VMR isn't commonly used with ATIs as far as I can see. However, judging from traffic on TT's forums there have been a lot of problems with this in T 2.10 and I'm not clear from reading TT's site whether 2.11 fixes it completely. All I can say is that the PQ I hah with my 9600 was the best I ever achieved with the PC and I had no regrets abandoning the 6800 and haven't felt the need to change from 2.06.

You can mix IDEs and SATAs though it depends on the BIOS just how you can mix them. My ASUS board can 'map' SATAs so that they look like IDEs and hang off the IDE controllers .. or they can be separate and seen as SATAs by Window. I've not tried having a system IDE with co-existing SATAs which weren't mapped but can't see how it would be a problem, but as I say it's totally dependent on how the BIOS implements them.