Help me with my exam - sound card for film sound effects

S

sundfjor

Hey everyone!

I have recieved an exam in a university course which deals with music technology. The task at hand is to Discuss and set demands for a Sound Card to be used in a work station for Sound Effects for film and video.
If there is someone who have experience with this kind of thing i would like to know what one would look for in such a sound card. What are important features and what is the difference between a sound card which is customized for film sound opposed to one that is more suited for music.
Any help appreciated.

sundfjor

S

sundfjor

oh and just in case anyone should be in doubt, I am not cheating on the exam. It is a home task and I am free to use all resources:)

sundfjor

YellowSphere

Novice Member
Depends on a huge amount of things, such as what software you're running and whether or not you need to process video in addition, or if you're just tracking the video along.

Firewire audio interfaces like the MotU 828 have huge amounts of audio I/O (lots of outputs is very important for film to make sure you can run all your surround channels) and SMPTE time code interfaces.

However, these days, given the right software, you shouldn't need a huge amount. Anything with six outputs is good enough to mix in surround, provided your computer is powerful enough to run it all. Any decent interface will be pretty much the same as far as fidelity goes.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom