Answered Help me with Home Cinema planning

badboybk

Standard Member

This is a picture of my idea of my home cinema in my new house. My budget is limited and home cinema will be used by me and my wife who are total amateurs at home cinema, so no fancy stuff needed.

I currently own a relatively good PC, more of a gaming rig( i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz;AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series 3gb,16 GB Memory), with HDMI output Video card and a 4 years old plasma TV Panasonic TX-P42G20E.

Can you guys please explain few things so i can understand better:

1. I want to connect my PC with TV and stream videos/movies/games from PC to TV, through Home cinema option. What do i need at TV so i can enjoy 5.1 home cinema system, since my TV can't handle 5.1

2. As i understand there are 2 options, AV Receiver with 5.1 speakers or blue-ray 5.1 home cinema with 5.1 speaker system

3. What are + and - of 2 different systems mentioned above?

4. Which option would cost me less and still provide normal home cinema experience?

5. Which systems exactly should i look for?

Many thanks to all taking time to help me out!

Cocksure

1. I want to connect my PC with TV and stream videos/movies/games from PC to TV, through Home cinema option. What do i need at TV so i can enjoy 5.1 home cinema system, since my TV can't handle 5.1

2. As i understand there are 2 options, AV Receiver with 5.1 speakers or blue-ray 5.1 home cinema with 5.1 speaker system

3. What are + and - of 2 different systems mentioned above?

4. Which option would cost me less and still provide normal home cinema experience?

5. Which systems exactly should i look for?

Many thanks to all taking time to help me out!
Welcome to the world of PC home cinema :) its how i have been doing things for years

1) you could just connect your pc direct to your tv, but this would only give you stereo sound. Instead you connect it to the back of your av receiver (or blu ray player if it has that option) and then a lead from the av receiver to the tv

2)A blu ray player will not give you 5.1 sound unless it was connected to an AV receiver or had a built in amplifier (not the best method) and if it did then it would probably (it been years since i last looked at one) only work for blu ray moves and not allow a passing through of the pc signal (i could be wrong on this)

3)kind of answered by point 2, also have a separate receiver allows better speakers to be fitted, more flexibility and better sound quality, as it is design to do one job only. Plus of cause if your blu ray player with built in amp goes wrong your knackered

4)no idea how much blu ray players cost with built in amp, but as it would also come with speakers, then it might be the cheapest option but their isn't much in it. You can get a good AV receiver for £200, £30 quid for a blu ray drive for your PC and then how much you wish to spend on speakers. Could easily do it for £500

5)personally i would go for the av receiver route as you can upgraded things as you need/get money in. The way i did it was to use any old speaker i could find to begin off with (loads of 2nd hand £10 speaker pairs out there) and slowly replaced them for better speakers as the money came in. That way you could probably get up and running for £300 or less

Plus cable cost of course

Last edited:

badboybk

Standard Member
Thanks for quick response Lizard, so if i buy Av receiver and stick HDMI from PC to it, and then another HDMI from AV receiver to TV, the damn thing should work?

I was looking for AV receiver like this:

Onkyo | HT-S4505

It costs 419 EUR here in my country

Here's an extra question, how does my graphic card on PC that has an HDMI exit, give video and sound over it? Or do i need to have extra audio cable from PC to receiver?

Cocksure

Use the hdmi out on your graphic card (not DVI as this doesn't carry sound or the motherboard hdmi if it has one) and run a hdmi cable from it to anyone of the hdmi inputs on the av receiver, then another hdmi cable from the out socket on the receiver to the back of the tv. Job done :)

The way i have it wired is the hdmi out to my receiver/tv for when i watch moves, and the dvi out to my pc monitor for every day use.

Modern graphic cards (last 5 years or so) can output sound (you might need too down load the hdmi drivers for your card, but its unlikely) so you dont need any extra cables. You simply select it as the default device in playback device.

Obviously their not as good as a stand alone sound card, but as it is only outputting digital information (as your av receiver decodes the sound) this doesn't matter.

One more thing i should have mentioned, you will need to buy software for watching blu rays on your PC, however they all come with a month free trail, so you could get 3 months plus of watching before you needed to buy it :)

Personally i really like windvd pro 11 which is basic and simple to use, does what it says on the tin and no more!

Or Powerdvd 15 ultra if you want more advance options, but is more complex as a result.

As to the Onkyo, yes thats fine. However a note to consider is that its not 4k compatible neither does it have hdcp 2.2 standard. If you have no plans of going down the 4k route then this isn't an issue, if you are then it is.

Your best route is to do a fresh post in the AV receivers forum, where people will be able to tell you the best one to go for at your price, something i cant really help you with

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom