help me with cables please

Mike_Stott2007

Novice Member
hi

i need help with what cables to buy

i am connecting :

skyHD ---> Onkyo 576 (What HDMI and what for 5.1 sound)
PS3 ---> Onkyo 576 (What HDMI for both audio and sound?)
Onkyo 576 ---> Panasonic TH46PZ85B (What HDMI )

I'm assuming skyHD doesnt do audio over HDMI? (will have a search but if anyone knows to save me searching)

I also have a LG RH177 but that just gets used for divx playbak, any suggestions for cables for this? ( or a new hdmi divx upscaler)

davepuma

Distinguished Member
The Sky HD will require a separate optical audio output to the 576 and can either be connected directly to the TV for video using HDMI or via the amp using it as a switch.

Can the 576 handle LPCM over HDMI? If it can, you will get HD audio over HDMI from the PS3 (set to LPCM).

Then run a single HDMI cable from the 576 to the TV and if you want s/sound from the TV's built in tuner (why would you though as you have twin tuners in the Sky HD box) you would need to run a separate audio cable from the TV (either optical or RCA analogue red/white phonos) to the amp.

What connections does the LG have? I'm sure Divx playback was incorporated into the latest PS3 firmware.

Mike_Stott2007

Novice Member
hi
yeah i think 576 does audio over hdmi

i was more thinking what specific cables to buy, the setup suggested is what id set it up like, i was thinking which cables to get the best from my system

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Pretty much any HDMI and optical cables will do. I use markgrant hdmi cables in my own system but you can get away with cheaper. As long as they're well made and the run is short, you don't need to spend a lot. Do a search as there have been numerous threads on "what hdmi?" and so on. As for optical as long as they fit well, there is no difference in performance between a cheap cable and an expensive one. I use various in my own system ranging from a £3 amazon job to QED etc. costing £20 plus. The amazon one is just as good as the others and fits well.

Mike_Stott2007

Novice Member
thanks dave,

I know about the whole "buy this 5* cable" just wanted to check really, I have a couple of HDMI's and an optical lead too, so (assuming skyHD comes with a HDMI cable) I won't need to buy anything else and just set it all up.