Help me with a hard drive for my laptop - SSD, hybrid or standard

Dan Drake

Standard Member

I have the below laptop (Asus X32 - part of the UL30 family) but it doesn’t currently have a hard drive.
So looking for some advice.

Apparently "the Asus X32A also has a light, Linux-based operating system that can be launched with the push of a dedicated button. Unlike Windows 7, the other operating system loads in seconds and gives you access to programs like Skype, email and a web browser."

I would like to utilize this and have windows 7 installed for watching films and updating a blog (travelling Australia for 7 months)

My first question is do I have to do anything special to set this up seeing as I don't have the original hard drive. I'm assuming I can just partition a hard drive and put the two OS's on it or does the bios itself have this function and hence I would not need to partition the hard drive?

Secondly should I be going for an SSD or should I go for a hybrid or standard sata hard drive?

Will I see much improvement performance wise/ battery time, based on the spec of this laptop?

I will not need a huge amount of hard disk space and would potentially just go for a 60gb to 120gb SSD alternatively I could get a 750gb hybrid.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

Asus X 32 A-QX 110V Laptop

• Processor: Intel Celeron Processor SU2300 (1M Cache, 1.20 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
  • Display: 13.3" HD (1366x768) ColorShine (glossy), LED backlight
  • Chipset : Intel GS 45 Chipset: Intel GS 45
  • System Memory: 3 GB
  • DDRIII 1066 MHz
  • Network Cards: WLAN b / g / n + 10/100 LAN, Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR
  • Graphics: Intel GMA 4500MHD shared-memory
  • Interface: 1x VGA, 1x HDMI, 1x headphones, 1x microphone 1x RJ-45, 0.3M

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
My first question is do I have to do anything special to set this up seeing as I don't have the original hard drive. I'm assuming I can just partition a hard drive and put the two OS's on it or does the bios itself have this function and hence I would not need to partition the hard drive?
They're typically stored on a flash memory chip soldered to the motherboard so the quick book Linux should work even without a hard drive in the machine.

That is a low power laptop so I would be inclined to go for an SSD as you'll see bigger battery benefits than a more powerful laptop, and the extra performance is always nice.

EDIT: Looking at the manual it's the key with the lightning bolt hitting a circle that launches ExpressGate (quick load Linux), seems to be in the top left corner.

Last edited:

Dan Drake

Standard Member
I think I will go for an SSD then, I reckon a 120gb drive will be the best size. Does anyone have any recommendations for which SSD to go for - looking for the best bang for buck?

I'm guessing the laptop is SATA II, will this make any difference?

Dan Drake

Standard Member
Thank you for that link, looks like the Crucial M4 and the Samsung 830 are the way forward, so I will now just keep my eyes out for any good deals.

Thanks for your help!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom