Help me upgrade my sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by chump, Feb 5, 2009.

1. chump

chump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,449
    Hi all,

I have a set of Q Acoustics 1010i speakers, a 1000Si sub and a yamaha AX863SE.

For the most part the sound quality during blu ray playback (99% of what the system is used for) is fantastic.

However I feel that the sub is lacking. From my totally non-technical experience of it - it just doesnt feel very refined - the bass seems all over the place and it just doesnt go low enough for my liking in places of films that I know should be very low. The best test for me is the scene in Transformers where one of the decepticons is flying over the top of that women in slow mo while firing. I think you all know the part.;)

On my old non-HD but Digital setup (Logitech Z-680!) the bass in this scene used to blow me away leaving me feeling tingly. However using this new setup with a HD sountrack I am left feeling a little underwhelmed.

It's not just this film either - i have other films with 'Sub Specific moments' that I have tested on BD and they all leave me feeling a little sad :thumbsdow

So what i want to do is replace the sub with something that can handle a little lower freq. and a bit more power.

I notice you all going on about the Monolith. This seems ideal but I am extremely worried about the setup part of it as reading the manual it isnt just a case of plug, run yamaha auto setup and off you go!

So if anyone can recommend a decent sub for no more than £450-500 or can ease my fears of potential setup problems of the Monolith I'd be very appreciative :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You'll get infinite support from these forums as the subwoofer section is full of very knowledgable people (excluding myself)!

The Monolith is a very high quality product but by no means a pig to set up. As a plug and play solution, it'll be exactly the same as your 1000Si. It's only when you come to EQing it using REW/BFD that it'd take some brain power and even then, solutions like the Velodyne SMS-1 can help massively in this department.

But that's something you might like to consider in the future. As a sub £500 sub, the Monolith takes some beating and would be a huge improvement over both your Q Acoustics and Logitech subs.