Question Help me upgrade my home cinema system!

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by GigabitEthernet, Aug 4, 2018.

1. GigabitEthernet

GigabitEthernet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi All,

I've just got an amazing new LG B7 for my TV and now I'm looking to upgrade my sound.

At the moment I have the following equipment:
    • AVR: Yamaha RX-V373
    • Speakers (all originally from the Onkyo HTP-038 HTIB):
      • Front Left: Onkyo SKF-038
      • Centre: Onkyo SKC-038
      • Front Right: Onkyo SKF-038
      • Rear Left: Onkyo SKR-038
      • Rear Right: Onkyo SKR-038
      • Subwoofer: Cambridge Audio S80
    The rears are mounted on the wall, fronts and centre are on a TV stand underneath my TV (which is wall mounted).

I'm actually still quite satisfied with the sound from the speakers but I think the sound is a bit "hollow" which I am guessing is down to the sub, so would this make sense as something to upgrade?

Budget isn't exactly fixed but would appreciate spending as little as possible, so would appreciate options being "best bang for your buck", if possible.

Many thanks.

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    New speakers, even with your current Yamaha will certainly improve the sound quality. Position of the front three isn't great with these very light weight speakers being on a floating? shelf. The centre especially can be very badly effected by being badly placed on a shelf.

You could concentrate on upgrading the front three in the first instance as this will definitely give you the biggest improvement. Certainly the rears will have to be replaced but in the short term they will be fine.

Working without a budget is a little hard but I'm pretty sure by just replacing the fronts, along with the possibility of stands if bookshelfs are wanted would be the best way to go.

3. GigabitEthernet

GigabitEthernet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    It's a TV stand that is on the floor, so it's not a floating shelf as such.

4. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    For good front stage separation then the speakers need to be at least five feet apart, especially if using a centre. We all have to make some kind of compromise and I have to have my front array set up on my TV cabinet. However, the cabinet in itself is extremely heavy and all the speakers are isolated so that I don't get any resonance from the cabinet. All the speakers are sitting proud of the front edge so there is no reflected sound from the cabinet top. I wish I had the room to put my speakers on stands at the side of the cabinet but that would mean pushing the right speaker into a corner. So cabinet mounting is the lesser of two evils, my compromise.

Put up a sketch of your room and the positioning of the current speakers as this would be helpful in guiding you towards the right kind of speaker. Many quality, even some entry level, centre speakers are quite large and take up a lot of room so that has to be a consideration in how much room you have under the TV.

My set up:
    165315424.7JqH7i6z.jpg

5. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    size of your room is important for recommendations.

there are some bargains to be had and if your open to s/h, even more can be saved.