1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help me upgrade my amp please.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by GFS AV, Mar 23, 2005.

1. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening all,

Been thinking about this power amp lark. I have the older Yamaha 640SE amp, and am wondering how I could upgrade amp-wise. Rather than upgrade to another complete AV amp, would I be better off getting a seperate power amp? Would this be adding to every channel or just the front two?

Also, are there any particular makes/models of power amps you could recommend to add to my system? Here's what I got:

Marantz DV4500 DVD.
    Yamaha 640SE amp (obviously)
    Mordaunt-Short Avant 906 fronts, 905c, 902 rear.

I have just looked at what appears to be an absolute beast - the Rotel RMB1075. If I hooked up something like this to my comparatively tiny Yamaha amp, would I notice a hug improvement in sound quality? Or would I just be wasting the Rotel's potential?

Any suggestions folks?

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi GFS, it's me again.

I think you would notice an improvement in sound. You should experience better control and dynamics. Whether it is "huge" it is for you to decide.

In your situation, I wouldn't use a 2 channel power amp. Others will disagree, but having the Yamaha driving the centre would effect the front soundstage. Thus, I think you should be looking at a 3 channel amp. (But you already know my opinion on this)

The RMB1075 - in the power amp world - is a baby beast. They do get a lot beastier.

The RMB1075 would be slightly over the top in your current system, but not an alarming mis-balance. It would also provide a sound building block to which to upgrade from. With your current set-up, the RMB-1066 should also be considered (I do sound like a broken record).

3. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Harry,

I would have thought that using my Yamaha for the front channels and a power amp for the rest would give an unbalanced sound, no? The reason I thought the Rotel may be ideal is that it's a 5 channel power amp, therefore running all speakers equally? I am just trying to find out whether this would be possible. What then would the Yamaha be used for? Effects steering perhaps? Anything else?

As you can see, I am obviously clueless when it comes to power amps and stuff, sorry - please bare with me on this.

Please could you give me more information on what exactly the Rotel, or something similar would do to my system.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

4. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi GFS

The 1075 is an excellent amp' and would work well with your set up. For the money they are very well specified, and your next upgrade coud then be to ditch the Yammy altogether and get a proper processor.

The sound from the Rotel would be very different to what you're used to. You will find the sound more controlled even at higher volumes, there will be more clarity, and more weight to the bass. It's like wine tasting really, you can talk and talk about what it's like, but really you just need to drink it and see.

Lots of dealers will lend you a Rotel if they have one in, take one home and see what you think, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

5. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks ahin,

Sounds good! If I do this, what jobs will the Yamaha have left to do? I mean, all the power will be supplied by the Rotel, so what will the Yamaha be doing exactly?

6. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Basically the yamaha acts as a point for you to plug all of you sources into. IT decodes the signal from each of these and decides what speaker each signal should go to and at what volume, then it sends the signal to the Rotel to get amplified. Effectively it becomes a processor. All your existing settings will still work, channel level (though this may need re-doing), speaker distance, speaker size etc. But now you'll be using a bigger, better amplification stage.

Later, you can get rid of the yamaha (unless you're particularly attached to it), and replace it with a processor, which will do the same job as the yamaha, but without having amplifiers built in.

HTH

7. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, all starting to make sense now :smashin:

If I do go down this route, I wont just 'get rid' of the Yamaha. IMO it's an excellent amp for the money. Worth every penny of £300. I would probably use it as a starting point to build another system in another room :D Bloody expensive this AV lark innit! :eek:

So would you say I would be better off adding the Rotel power amp, rather than changing to a more expensive integrated amp, say, a Yamaha 2500?

I do like the look of that Rotel mind. It's an absolute beast! If I had the money I think i'd buy a 2nd hand one right now.

8. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Ultimately a Processor and power amp solution will give you better sound and upgrade options than an integrated. When blu-ray and HD-DVD hit the shelves there will be new sound formats coming with them, when they arrive all the integrated amps will need replacing to support the new formats. You however would only need to upgrade the processor, becuase your power amp is a seperate entity, this all happened with DD, DTS, DD-EX, DTS-ES, Prologic IIx, 6.1, 7.1 etc. It will of course happen again...

I wasn't trying to suggest you give the amp to Oxfam by the way, there's always another room in need of Hi-fi :thumbsup:
    And don't talk to me abut expense, I stopped counting when the figure topped 10K!! My wife didn't though :) Enjoy it, you can't take it with you.

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    You could use the Power Amp to biamp the two front main speakers and power the centre, leaving the Yammy to take care of the rears :). This is what I will be doing with the Rotel 985 I've acquired :).

10. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

11. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: I thought you were over the moon with your 7500???

Ive just had a brief look at the Rotel 985, and this is apparently a processor rather than a power amp. I'm confused again :confused:

12. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Rotel numbering is confusing. There is a pre/pro and a power both with a 985. Is it the 5 x 100W from the late 1990's. If it is, then this would be perfect.

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    It is indeed the 5 channel one from the late 90's :).

I'm very happy with the SR7500, but I got this at such a good offer, I couldn't turn it down, THX Ultra certified, 100watts per channel, 44amp load, will drive the Quads superbly :).

14. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Kaz - you're just never satisfied! :rotfl:

15. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    :D and I said I wouldn't be upgrading anything this year :suicide:

Oh well, life would be boring if we didn't change things once in a while :devil:

16. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Or in your case, 'life would be boring if we didn't change things thrice in a while...'

;)

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Btw, did you hear this amp before buying it or was it bought on a whim?

18. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    This was bought on a whim, but I know of its reputation :).

19. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Kazman.

For the benefit of everyone considering a power amp upgrade, could you briefly describe the benefits you are now hearing.

On paper, the specs would have you believe that the Rotel, wouldn't offer anything over the Marantz. But I bet you are hearing a more dynamic and controlled presentation.

And out of curiosity, any ideas on when your next purchase might be?

20. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The Power amp arrives on Sunday, so will let everyone know then :D

As for the next purchase, I'm toying with the idea of a HD ready Rear Projection DLP TV, The audio part of my system is quite solid as it stands right now, the visual aspect needs improving in readiness for HD, apart from that, I'm also toying with the idea of a mid Range/high end CD Player, some thing like Inca Designs Katana or the Exposure 2010s.

21. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks, Kaz.

Mmmmm, Inca Katana. Lovely piece.

No offence directed at the SR7500, but a dedicated stereo amp will be needed to show its full potential.

22. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    You might be surprised with the SR7500 :)

I used to own an SR7400 and it outperformed a Marantz PM7200 hooked up to the same speakers I was using at the time, the SR7500 is even better, especially in Pure Direct mode, I was gobsmacked :).

Looking forward to the Rotel arriving on Sunday, I haven't used the bi-amp feature of the SR7500 yet, so might try that before hooking up the Rotel to see how much of an improvement there is.

23. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kazman, did the Rotel power amp arrive? Have you had chance to hook it up yet?

24. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    It's arrived, but haven't had a chance to hook it up.

I need to get some splitters and some more interconnects this week, and will give it a stab this weekend if I get time. I have to make a trip up to Yorkshire on Sat, and Sunday is also a busy day :(.....is it just me or are weekends just not long enough anymore?