Help me understand speaker stands

Sun

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Allo,

Bit of advice if you will,

I have ordered some Wharfedale Diamond 8.1s for use as rear speakers. I need some stands for these that clear 70cm as that is the height of the arms on my sofa. I am guessing that I will therefore need adjustable stands. Although they dont need to be much higher I guess as then there will be 30cm of speaker on top of it.

Wharfedale 8.1s
HxWxD (mm): 296 x 198 x 181

Right firstly how do they attach to the stands? I'm not going to have to nail them on or anything am I? Can the speaker be bigger than the plate it sits on?

Secondly, where is a good place to get some and are there any rules of thumb for good stands? I am definitely not looking for any that are > £60

Cheers
Mat

Get a pair of Atacama SE10s. Fix the speakers to the top plinth with blu-tack and all will be well. Oh and don't forget to mass load the stands with Atacama Atabites especially as they are so tall.

speaker_stands_new_se_sm.jpg

Alternatively you can fill the stands with sand, much cheaper than using that Atacama Atabites stuff, although make sure you use kiln dried sand and not damp or wet sand because it can rust your speaker stands over time.

Haha, my brother and I made that mistake. But after lugging a couple of bags from B&Q there was no going back. I actually ended up cooking the stuff to dry it out. Looked like apple crumble... :clown:

hi guys thansk for the advice, sadly theyre too expensive.

Can anyone answer my original questions?

Right firstly how do they attach to the stands? I'm not going to have to nail them on or anything am I? Can the speaker be bigger than the plate it sits on?

Secondly, where is a good place to get some and are there any rules of thumb for good stands? I am definitely not looking for any that are > £60

Cheers

Fitting - they can just be placed but as mentioned blu-tac helps.

speakers can be bigger than the plate

Getting them new for <£60 for tall stands is unlikely (most cheaper ones are about 2 ft tall). If standard ones would do then Partington Focus stands cost £60.

Don't succomb to the rubbish in Argos et al

Try Ebay? AV hardware sales on this site?

I got a pair of Atacama SE10's (40 inch) on ebay for 47.00 delivered. They are in excellent condition and the seller (bless him) even left the sand inside:D

cheers guys, the height is important, otherwise the sound will be muffled by the sofa arms :/

I see there are some Gale S70s and Gale S100s on Richers for £40 and £60 that are 70cm, not too pretty but might do the job?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Originally posted by Sun
not too pretty but might do the job?

I think you hit the nail on the head there if you aren't concerned aout how they look then they might be ok - stability is the thing though - if they're flimsy things then they won't do the job properly.

at the point of reading your reply mcmullanbrush i missed out on a pair of atacamas on ebay by about 2 mins, i could't research them quick enough. Nexus 6 or 7 I think, they were perfect height. Only went for £35 :(

yeah your probably right wilber, there are some alphason stands on ebay at the right price but they are 1 metre high. Is there an optimum height for rear speakers?

cheers

Originally posted by mcmullanbrush
I got a pair of Atacama SE10's (40 inch) on ebay for 47.00 delivered. They are in excellent condition and the seller (bless him) even left the sand inside:D

Poor guy must have been left with 7 bucks only after shipping and handling with the sand inside!:D :D :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom