Help me understand my home network?

lmccauley

I am buying a newbuild house, and asked for a home network to be installed. It was a bit like Chinese whispers in that I had to specify what I wanted (after some research in this forum) to the builder's salesperson (who doesn't understand networks), who would pass the request on to their variations department (who don't understand networks), who passed that on to their subcontractor.

So, Sunday was the first opportunity for me to see what they had installed. I asked for a Cat6 structured network, with 24 wall-mounted data sockets (including 2 next to the BT Master socket) dotted round the house (most in pairs, and some in fours), connected to a 24 way patch panel and a 16 port gigabit switch.

The attached picture shows what is in the cabinet they installed.

The description in the quote said that the cabinet would contain:
  • 24 way Cat6 patch panel
  • Brush blank bar
  • 16 port gigabit network switch
So, I'm wondering, why do there seem to be 2 x 24 way patch panels…?

Also, I specified 2 data ports to be next to the BT Master Point, so I could plug my BT Home Hub into the phone socket, and into a data port, which I’d patch into the switch in the cabinet. Of course, the BT point got installed on the other side of the room, but the subcontractors claim that they have wired the phone into the cabinet somehow. I’m wondering how they could have done this…

Attachments

• Network hub - small.jpg
    Network hub - small.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,131

charles_b

OK, first question, have they labelled all the ports dotted around you house with port numbers, as
it seems to me that you have 2 x 24 port patch panels with the same numbering

From the trunking leaving the cabinet, I would guess? that they have delivered a panel for the upstairs and a panel for the downstairs, leaving room for additional ports as required.

OR: Could be that the top panel is for patching Telephone sockets as it is not labelled as CAT6 and the bottom panel is your patching to the house. Seems like the most likely explanation.

It is perfectly possible for them to have patched your BT line into the patch panel, although it would only use 2 wires

I would ask them for a detailed diagram showing the ports they've patched to where, and clearly indicating the ports that are connected to the BT Master point.

I think that's why you have the 2 patch panels. Top one is (overkill) for the BT point and the bottom one is your CAT6 wiring around the house.

leecavturbo

could be a 24 way switch so every point will work when patched

lmccauley

They did say in their quote that they would label everything up. To be fair to them, the house isn't finished yet - I was given the keys to have a peek around (good thing too, as a fitted wardrobe was against the wrong wall in one of the bedrooms!). I don't know what information they will give me, but the builders have finally given my phone number to the subcontractors to ring me and explain things.

Looking at the two patch panels, the top one does like it has telephone sockets. If #1 on the top panel is wired to the BT Master Point, how do I access that. Where would I put my BT Home Hub (since the cabinet is full)?

lmccauley

could be a 24 way switch so every point will work when patched
The bottom item is definitely a 16 port Netgear switch, so I think the telephone patch panel is looking like a more likely explanation for the top item.

Hmm, what happens when I (eventually) get BT Infinity installed? I believe that the BT Master Point is changed. Will BT just disconnect the wiring into the telephone patch panel?

leecavturbo

perhaps you should have specified some spare space in the rack for housing a isp modem.
in the cupboard access to the PP wont be a problem for us tradesmen however for you and your house to remain as looking unmolested to maybe get a new cable albeit a fibre to the cupboard may have been a good idea to have a duct installed at pad base stage

lmccauley

perhaps you should have specified some spare space in the rack for housing a isp modem.
in the cupboard access to the PP wont be a problem for us tradesmen however for you and your house to remain as looking unmolested to maybe get a new cable albeit a fibre to the cupboard may have been a good idea to have a duct installed at pad base stage
Unfortunately, the builders had no idea about installing networks, wouldn't let me speak to their subcontractor, and when I tried to phone the subcontractor they denied that they were doing the job! So, I had to specify what I wanted without any feedback other than a quote coming back after several weeks.

I specified a twin data wall socket next to the BT Master Point, thinking that I would put the BT Home Hub there, but the BT Master Point got installed on the other side of the room from what the plan said, and my instruction for the data wall socket to be next to the BT Master Point was ignored.

leecavturbo

Unfortunately, the builders had no idea about installing networks, wouldn't let me speak to their subcontractor, and when I tried to phone the subcontractor they denied that they were doing the job! So, I had to specify what I wanted without any feedback other than a quote coming back after several weeks.

I specified a twin data wall socket next to the BT Master Point, thinking that I would put the BT Home Hub there, but the BT Master Point got installed on the other side of the room from what the plan said, and my instruction for the data wall socket to be next to the BT Master Point was ignored.

need to kick some butt me thinks.
you come across as if you semi work in the contracting industry.
spout some non payment or charge back and see how quickly you get what you want ;) :smashin:

Last edited:

lmccauley

need to kick some butt me thinks.
you come across as if you semi work in the contracting industry.
spout some non payment or charge back and see how quickly you get what you want ;) :smashin:

Well, I work with customers who have documented requirements, and subcontractors/suppliers, so I'm ready for that path if I don't get satisfactory answers.

Managed to contact an engineer working for the subcontractor, but the actual engineer who installed it is on holiday. This seems to be a common theme for the other issues we've had with the house, too... :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom