Help me understand magic eyes

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have sky plus in room 1 and I am going to split the signal via a js-technology rgb splitter to send it to room 2.

How do I go about using a magic eye to control the channels in room 2?

Also where can I buy one that is 5m's long?

The magic eye connects to the Sky boxes RF2 output, so effectively the signal is split by the Sky box.... albeit in RF quality. The magic eye handles all the control & picture signal, and is also powered by the RF2 socket.

Someone my be able to offer another solution but I'm not sure you can control the 2nd signal if you're using an RGB splitter.

So the rf would be plugged into the tv as well as the rgb?

Could I have the channel set to av1 but still control it via the rf?

Russell_Piper said:
So the rf would be plugged into the tv as well as the rgb?

Could I have the channel set to av1 but still control it via the rf?

I believe you can as the magic eye just uses RF2 connection on the sky box to change channels. The output channel from the sky box on scart would match that on RF.

There is no effect on the display you are using so as long as you have selected AV, which is also connected to the sky box, then you are Ok because you can still see what you are doing.

Hope that makes sense....short answer is YES

Superb, Thanks a lot Mr Munster.

Do you know where I can buy a 5m one from?

you dont you run a length of normal tv aerial coax from rfout2 on the sky box and connect a normal magic eye to it. you can get suitable leads fromm tesco/asada etc for about 3 quid .

Russell_Piper said:
Superb, Thanks a lot Mr Munster.

Do you know where I can buy a 5m one from?

As derbyjj said.... you have to buy your own coax cable that attaches to the TVLink. you'll need one length to go from the RF2 out on your Sky+ box to your TVLink. Then another, shorter, length that connects the actual TVLink to your TV's RF in. One thing you need to make sure of is that the Coax going from RF2 to your TVLink is capable of passing a 9v (I think) power current. To power the actual TVLink dongle, otherwise you won't be able to change the channels with your 2nd remote.

dannyg81 said:
One thing you need to make sure of is that the Coax going from RF2 to your TVLink is capable of passing a 9v (I think) power current. To power the actual TVLink dongle, otherwise you won't be able to change the channels with your 2nd remote.

And how do I find this out?

Any COAX should be able to carry the 9V. For your purposes I would go for the best quality cheapest option if that makes sense.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom