Help me troubleshoot my sound problem

Geege

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've decided to ditch my Creative T7900 speakers and in the meantime whilst I'm looking around to upgrade I'm making do with my monitor speakers.

My ATI Radeon HD5850 graphics card via HDMI to the HDMI port in the NEC MultiSync 24WMGX3. So the sound is carried via HDMI cable.

Quite simple I thought and in control panel (Windows 7) I've set the ATI High Defination Audio Device (the monitor HDMI port) as the default device for playback. Sound works fine. Also as a result of no longer having my Creative X-Fi sound card in use plugged into the speakers, I've disabled this.

My problem comes when I restart the computer - it is though each time it defaults back to either the speakers device or the X-Fi sound card as the "default device" (no sound). This is annoying as it means each time I have to unplug the HDMI from the port and re-plug it back for it to re-set itself. It then works fine.

How do I prevent this from happening? Any ideas?

Audioprintscreen.png

Also as a result of no longer having my Creative X-Fi sound card in use plugged into the speakers, I've disabled this.

Devices for your X-fi are still showing up despite not having it plugged in? If so then that's a very good candidate for the problem. Did you uninstall the drivers before you removed the x-fi?

Quite simply I only disconnected my Creative speakers. They were making the desk too cluttered and I'm looking to buy a 2.1 speaker set.

As I no longer have those speakers (they were actually connected to my Realtek HD motherboard on-board Audio and not my Soundblaster soundcard) I decided to route the audio via HDMI from the graphics card directly to my NEC monitor.

The sound works fine, great! All I had to do was change the default device to show the "ATI HDMI Output" device instead of the "Speakers - Creative X-Fi" device as shown in the photo.

Except the problem arises when I restart the computer!

It is though the registry or something in start-up tell the computer to default back to the speaker device so I end up losing sound again and each time (because they are not plugged in any more and I'm now using HDMI)

I've even now taking out my sound card completely...

Now when It restarts, instead of it defaulting back to the ATI HDMI Output (graphics card) how I want it - it now defaults - not to "Speakers" but now to the "Speakers - Realtek HD Audio on-board" device. Arrgh!

Even more reason to buy my new speakers soon and use my sound card again how it was intended. :rolleyes:

Devices for your X-fi are still showing up despite not having it plugged in? If so then that's a very good candidate for the problem. Did you uninstall the drivers before you removed the x-fi?

Okay thanks, Should I now try un-installing my Creative X-Fi audio drivers?

Thanks EndlessWaves for your help. Perhaps I should have tried un-installing the Creative X-Fi drivers first, although it does seem a bit drastic. I guess when I do with to use the card again with my new 2.1 speakers I can always re-install the drivers.

Well I've restarted the computer now a few times and each time the sound works as the default devices now shows "ATI HDMI Output" just how I want it. :smashin:

:arty:

You probably could have just disabled it in Device Manager that way it would not remove the driver and you can just enable it as and when needed.

Well ignore my last as it appears NOT to be fixed :rolleyes:

Although I disabled in device manager the other sound options (on-board audio) and even removed and un installed my sound card, the sound output keeps following restart, defaulting back to any other sound option as the "default device"- the only option now being the Line output on my Creative Optia AF webcam.

So this makes me think it is something in the registry which need editing a change in the start-up options?

Any ideas?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom