Help me transfer tapes to digital!

Hi! I have been trying for a while to get this to work, but I am completely lost. I have about 30 miniDV60 tapes from by TDK from the early 2000s that I'm trying to digitalize. I'll be using an iMac for that. I have the original camera the tapes were recorded with and I will be using that camera to transfer the video. It is a JVC GR-D240E. Basically, it has only two outputs: an AV port (I can't ID it, see the picture) and a DV port (4-pin FireWire 1934). I've been Googling all over but I still don't know anything about this. I've seen a lot about RCA to USB converters but the camera does not have any RCA outputs. Can someone please just tell me how I can connect the camera to my iMac and record the tapes?

Attachments

• IMG_2556.jpg
    IMG_2556.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 37

Grimley

You can get firewire to thunderbolt adaptors. Apple invented & developed firewire many years ago & there are many legacy products still around. There's a good chance that it will connect & transfer the footage over.

MarkE19

michaeltomiak

Novice Member
I have the exact same camera and problem. I don’t however have a Mac and I’m not willing/able to put a fire wire connecting method (e.g card) in my laptop. What about the AV option? I can’t find a cable to fit this anywhere online....

DocJackal

I have the exact same camera and problem. I don’t however have a Mac and I’m not willing/able to put a fire wire connecting method (e.g card) in my laptop. What about the AV option? I can’t find a cable to fit this anywhere online....

Think of it this way, mini DV is effectively a digital file that's stored on tape rather than a drive. You do want to make FireWire work, as you'll be doing a digital transfer - much the same as a drive to drive transfer.

If you use AV leads, you're converting it and loosing data.

Have a look on the classifieds. I'm sure you can pick up a computer that would do this for you for under £50

Last edited:

Vila

Ive been clearing out my house and found a few mini DV tapes myself.

Looked into transferring to a modern computer with cables and adaptors.

In they end sent them off to someone to professionally transfer to files and upload back to me, de interlaced and ready for a online sharing with family for £13 a tape - frankly it wasn't worth the money buying cables and adaptors or my time when it can be done professionally that inexpensively.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom