1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me to stop my 32ga4e falling of the wall

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by rabbit25, Dec 18, 2004.

1. rabbit25

rabbit25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the TV (last week) , got the wall bracket (veda debut), got a brick wall to put it in, but no fixings.

What screws,plugs etc...have you guys used to hang your screens on the wall?

Any advice most appreciated. Cheers

2. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you actually have bricks to drill straight into I recommend that you use masonry anchors. You drill a hole and then put in the anchor which expands against the inside of the hole as you tighten it. They are easy to use as long as you don't over tighten them, or the head will fall off the bolt.

You also need a bit of play in the holes in the bracket - if the holes are exactly the same diameter as the bolts then you will have to drill the holes in the wall in exactly the right place, which is almost impossible.

James

3. rabbit25

rabbit25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers James

The wall is brick with plaster. Hadn't even heard of masonary anchors - i was planning to use screws maybe 3-4 inches with the relevent rawlplugs - i've heard you can swing on these and they wont come down.

4. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    :eek:
    Put bracket on the wall using loose rawl bolts - tightened them up , bracket seemed solid as a rock . Put LC37GA3E on bracket , and slowly but surely bracket started to come off the wall :eek:

Anyway turns out being an old house I had 1 1/2 inches of plaster before the old brick . So off down to B&Q and bought 8mm by 140mm framefixings , put 6 of these in and job done !!! :clap:

Best advice get bloody big fixings !!!!!!

5. rabbit25

rabbit25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what's a frame fixing - is that the same as a screw with wall plug?

6. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think they are window frame fixings. This could be a better choice, depending upon how thick your plaster is. Masonry anchors will need to have most of their length actually in brick.

James

7. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Same topic but from a different angle. Why do people want to put their flat panel monitors on the wall? I have seen a number of panels displayed in this way and I always think to myself, thank god I don't have to sit and watch it. The reason I say that is because in every case they are always mounted far to high. The most natural and the most comfortable way to watch t.v. when one is seated is to view the t.v. either looking straight at the panel or ever so slightly down. In essence what this means is to have the panel no higher than a conventional t.v. stand. To sit and watch a panel t.v. that is mounted above the fireplace is not natural for the eyes and is pretty dammed uncomfortable on the neck. Stick with a dedicated stand or table instead.

8. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Mine is mounted at eyelevel (when sitting) but it is in an alcove , so in order for everyone in the room to see it , I have used an articulated mount so i can pull it out and angle it into the room . When not in use it now folds flat to the wall in the alcove :)

9. pacman

pacman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Faust,

Why do people put their flat panel TV's on the wall? -

1) because they look excellent,
    2) they are kept out of harms way (my friend's kids nearly knocked his 37" plasma off the table top),
    3) it leaves a free shelf on your AV stand
    4) in the case of the philips 9986 the ambilight effect is awesome,
    5) it allows a good view from anywhere in the room

Anyone got any more reasons?

10. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    6) Space saving if the room isn't big enough to have an AV stand where you want the TV (I'll be making a cabinet for the alcove and a 5m scart to the TV !!)

11. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    As Jeremy Clarkson likes to say "Yes Yes" I've heard all that before. However, not one of those points you mention addresses the point I raised in my post i.e. that most of the panels I have seen mounted in this fashion are placed to high. As I said before but will say again just in case anyone missed it the first time round - mounted to high is hard on the eyes and quite literally a pain in the neck.

12. pacman

pacman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Faust,

Interesting comment but can I ask - have you sat in front of a wall mounted screen for any length of time?

Also, how high is too high - surely it all depends on your eye level whilst seated, distance to the screen, personal taste etc etc.

My own screen is mounted at 1.3m to the centre of the screen and my viewing distance is at least 14ft. When I slouch on the sofa beer in hand, the screen looks ideal to me! In fact, visitors to my house have commented that the screen is at a perfect height for viewing.

Wall mounting was the only way I was ever going to go, the clean lines, no visible cables and more importantly for me - out of the way of little hands!

Regards,

13. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    How high is too high ? I'll be mounting my LCD just above the sofa hight so my horizontal eye line will be in the middle of the screen.

I think it's personal preference to be honest. When you go to the cinema some people like to sit in the middle of the cinema and some like to sit right at the front where you're virtually looking up at the screen.

Richie

14. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gotta agree with Richie on this one. It's completely a matter of personal preference. I have mine wall-mounted at eye level and I personally think it looks tons better than it ever could on a stand. Wall mount 'em - it's what they were made for! :smashin:

15. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    And I shall return the favour ! Completely agree with this comment. I know it's my personal taste to wall mount a flat screen but I can't see the point in buying a tv that is 4" deep and put it on an Ikea like AV unit that is 24" deep (Nothing against Ikea mind, just giving you a visual in your mind !). That isn't space saving. If you had that amount of space, wouldn't you be better off with a rear projection of a similar/bigger size and 100 times the PQ ?

Richie

16. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have read about this topic somewhere but can't put my finger on the article at present. However the article did say that the principles are similar to the ones that apply to VDU. I think it said that the t.v. should be at or around a level with your eyes when seated. A number I have seen have been where the mirror used to be over a fireplace.

17. Car man sleeps

Car man sleeps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jimbob, how quickly is "slowly"?? I've just put mine up and am worried because it's 13mm of plaster with something called Thermalite block behind it. I'd like to know how long I need to leave the floor cushions underneath the TV!

Car man

18. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Well - mine came away from the wall in minutes !!
    Just make sure you use the right fixings and they are not just gripping in plaster (which is what happened to me)