Help me to spend £700

lillie934

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, many years ago my hifi comprised full size separates which unfortunately I had to sell do to lack of room. Fast forward many years and I now have a Technics Ottava sc c70 which I’ve had for several years. It’s not bad but I’m craving that stereo sound.

I now have more room and can fit a modest sized hifi and bookshelf speakers on stands ….so looking at what’s available. Would like dab , CD player if possible, internet radio great but I’ve not had much luck with the Technics always loosing internet connection in the same room as router. I’ve looked at Denon dm41dab and ceos 11 both look good . Speakers I’m not sure about I’m looking for a full bodied sound .

Any help or recommendations would be great or thinking outside the box what other options . Budget max £700

Hi, many years ago my hifi comprised full size separates which unfortunately I had to sell do to lack of room. Fast forward many years and I now have a Technics Ottava sc c70 which I’ve had for several years. It’s not bad but I’m craving that stereo sound.

I now have more room and can fit a modest sized hifi and bookshelf speakers on stands ….so looking at what’s available. Would like dab , CD player if possible, internet radio great but I’ve not had much luck with the Technics always loosing internet connection in the same room as router. I’ve looked at Denon dm41dab and ceos 11 both look good . Speakers I’m not sure about I’m looking for a full bodied sound .

Any help or recommendations would be great or thinking outside the box what other options . Budget max £700
My friend used to have Denon CEOL and Q Acoustics speakers. That sounded very nice. So a CEOL N-11 with QA 3020i should be a great pick. It should fit in the budget just right.

I based my system on value, implementing items I already had.

A DVD player for cd's / music streaming

TV for dab radio

Later an apple tv device for music video streaming / internet radio etc.

Purchasing a dac with volume control for optical out on TV

A power amp

Speakers

Speakers available in black or white.

Amazon product ASIN B01D5H8PQ0

Last edited:
My friend used to have Denon CEOL and Q Acoustics speakers. That sounded very nice. So a CEOL N-11 with QA 3020i should be a great pick. It should fit in the budget just right.
Thanks for your reply….I’ve looked at those speakers they seem popular and get good reviews. I’ll look into more.

TV for dab radio

A power amp

Speakers

Thanks for your reply…yes a good way of using what you’ve already got definitely food for thought.

Have you a DVD player/blu-ray player already?If so will your music system be near your tv set up?

Do you have an Android tablet or PC?

Have you a DVD player/blu-ray player already?If so will your music system be near your tv set up?

Do you have an Android tablet or PC?
Hi it will be near tv but no Blu-ray .

I have an android phone and a pc.

TV for dab radio

A power amp

Speakers

Using smart TV is a very good trick to get functionality with no extra cost if you have one. I used to use it that way for some time in my living room. Super convenient. Usually, there are multiple ways to achieve the same goal in audio and it's wonderful to find many of them here.

Have you looked at q acoustics m20 powered speakers - 400 quid, amp speakers and dac sorted.

Richer sounds do a Tibo FM/Dab for less than 100 and could get a CD player for about 159.

However, because the speakers have a built in dac you could use any DVD player/blu-ray that has s similar output as the speakers input. Also any PC or android tab gives you internet radio that can be fed to the dac, these are just options that may save you money

Well chuffed just managed to get Denon PMA 600NE amp and Q acoustics 3020i speakers for £448 .
Not what I started out looking at but too good to miss. Already have Audio Pro Link 1 which has streaming side sorted. Will add cd player later . Now to source speaker cable ...probably get Kabeldirect 2.5mm from Amazon seems to get recommended on here.

Well chuffed just managed to get Denon PMA 600NE amp and Q acoustics 3020i speakers for £448 .
Not what I started out looking at but too good to miss. Already have Audio Pro Link 1 which has streaming side sorted. Will add cd player later . Now to source speaker cable ...probably get Kabeldirect 2.5mm from Amazon seems to get recommended on here.
Nice catch. They have a CD player DCD-600 that will fit to your amplifier :)

When buying cable make sure it is 2mmsq or more and that it's made of OFC copper. Some cables are branded as CCA which stands for copper-clad aluminium. You don't want that.

Nice catch. They have a CD player DCD-600 that will fit to your amplifier :)

When buying cable make sure it is 2mmsq or more and that it's made of OFC copper. Some cables are branded as CCA which stands for copper-clad aluminium. You don't want that.
Thanks… I’m planning on getting the CD player later.
Have looked at Kabeldirect on Amazon states pure oxygen and 2.5mm so should fit the bill without breaking the bank.

Thanks… I’m planning on getting the CD player later.
Have looked at Kabeldirect on Amazon states pure oxygen and 2.5mm so should fit the bill without breaking the bank.
Do you mean pure copper, oxygen-free? :) If so, go for it. You can also think about getting some banana plugs (4mm) to make it easier with connecting and disconnecting cables. That's up to you.

Awesome, then you are good to go. What are your thoughts about banana plugs? Have you considered them?
Yes might well do. Have set speakers up today forgotten how fiddly it can be with bare cables.

You can easily find basic ones with crews for mounting wire. They are super easy to use and very convenient.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom