• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help me to decide - Sony DCR-HC96 v Cannon MVX4i

mandm

i narrowed down my choice to these two decent models but unable to decide which one to go for? Please help me to choose one of these - thanks:thumbsup:

so would it have to be Sony or Cannon, cast your vote now...

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
They are very close... as this "league table" shows (the MVX4i represented here by the US equivelent, Optura 600)

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ratings.php

One item which sticks out in favor of the Canon is better stills performance, so if this is important I might lean that way.

I'm probably being unfair to Canon to say this, but the posts on motor noise as well as the long post about quality problems with earlier MV models concerns me slightly. Though it should be noted that none have been specific to this model. That and my own positive experiences of owning a number of Sony camcorders would lead me towards the Sony....

Stills from video camera is not so important to me, so I'll vote Sony, in a close one.

mandm

thanks mark, now u know my delima, they are very close but i have identified a couple of 'swingers'...
Sony - touch screen big +
Sony - Price, much cheaper than Canon

Canon - i agree with stills quality but with change left over i can probabaly buy a decent still camera :D

I need more votes to push me to make a decision... come on the owners of Sony and Canon, here is ur opportunity to justify ur investment...:clap:
cheers

phil5743

I was faced with exactly the same dilema last week and ended up with the Canon. Apart from the stills, what swayed me was the true widescreen - I know the LCD is smaller but it records a true widescreen image (Sony loses some off the top), and also the small form factor of the Canon. It doesn't feel as good to handle as the Sony but is so much smaller - this for me means it will get taken out more (I also have a Nikon SLR). Build finish on the Canon is lovely too.
I do think you might find it hard to Source an MVX4i now though as it is being discontinued and is in very short supply - I got mine last week in Tottenham Court Road.

mandm

hi phill
thanks for ur input, its good to know that i was not alone facing this situ...
Your views will go long wat helping me to decide.
if u dont mind let us know how much is cannon? i know the sony is around 290 at Amazon..
cheers

phil5743

I ended up paying £530 - a lot more than I originally intended but I have no regrets. I am really surprised how good the stills are and I think I will use this facility more than I would have thought. Also the amount of manual control is far superior to the Sony and most things have a dedicated dial/button which encourages you to "play" a lot more than if they are hidden in menus. My previous camcorder was a Sony PC3 which has a touch screen - I can honestly say I dont miss this feature at all. However I did prefer the DCR-HC96/94 to actually hold and if size/true widescreen is not an issue then this might be the decider.
Also I think the Sony is a lot more than £290?

GarryF

I ended up getting a mvx4i a few months ago so am biased that way too :) best things about the canon are the size and the stills ability. Only negative is handling.

Downside for the sony is not so good stills and crappy memory stick.

At £290 the sony would be a no brainer but I thought it was more around the £450 mark a month or two back.

You could buy a stills camera to go with the sony but I'm another one that goes with the attitude the smaller it is the more it'll get taken out and used

If i was purely wanting best video the panasonic comes out on top of both of these I think. It's all very close though, I think most people would not notice difference in output from all three.

Off topic but anyone know what the replacement for the mvx4i is going to be?

toadoftoadhall

I dont know anything about these cameras, but would check that they have a mic input in case you want to have better sound. Some of the Sony cameras have a special mic input using a hotshoe, so are restricted to using special Sony mics, a bit restrictive.

toad

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Good point, Toad. The Canon has an ordinary mic in... but no accessory shoe to mount a mic. The Sony has the AIS shoe which can mount a Sony AIS mic, but no ordinary mic-in.

GarryF

You'd be able to mount the mic onto the tripod connection though ? still a proper mount would have been nice on the canon but it's one of trade offs of having the camera smaller.

x70

Standard Member
GarryF said:
At £290 the sony would be a no brainer but I thought it was more around the £450 mark a month or two back.

Hi all,
new to the site and completely newbie in terms of camcorders.
Just seen this post and thought to leave my quick feedback on price.
Last weekend i was in Tottenham Courd Rd for buying my first camcorder.
Sony HC96 and JVC Everio MG77 (HDD) were the candidates (i know :suicide: completely different machines DV vs HDD...) and i ended up with the JVC for 530£.

Best price i got for the Sony was 500£. 450£ on the web.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy the camera,
Teo

mandm

Gents once again many thanks for your help, while i was looking for the above models i saw Panasonic GS250 for 400 pounds, special offer (bargain not be missed) so i had no option but to part my cash with this beauty..

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom