HELP ME to choose

Martin Garcia

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm finally looking at proposals to create my dreamed (kind of) home theater. My budget is 10 to 12K.
I have look into three different places/companies to do this project and they have provided me with different quotes. I will like to have your help to determine the best option for my money or even if I should combine their offerings.

Please find attached the room dimension diagram plus the file with the proposals.

Some comments about each proposal:

Option-1:
- Not sure about projector compared with the 6030UB
- High Labor cost

Option-2:
- Not sure about the screen.
- Are they using better speakers ?
- EXPENSIVE (If I downsize the speakers to DALI ZENSOR 7 I will save like 1k. What do you think? Is really worthy those 1K extra for the speakers?)

Option-3:
- I'm not sure about the speakers Paradigm. Specially his comment about putting them on the wall flat (not pointing to me).

In addition I was thinking I can save some money by not getting the universal remote control. I don't really think I need that. Any comments ?

Thanks and regards,

Attachments

• Option-1.pdf
    155.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Option-3.pdf
    239 KB · Views: 45
  • RoomDimensions.pdf
    174.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Option-2.pdf
    422.3 KB · Views: 51
Proposal 1: $230 for a HDMI cable? AVOID and look elsewhere.

Given the scale of your project then the IKON speakers are justified and will yield better results than the Zensor range. It must be said the Other brands are available for similar money. The DEnon AVRX2100 that is being proposed could be better and I'd suggest this to be the weak link.

Again, the third options suggest AV receiver is more an entry level product and not really of the same level as the speakers that are being suggested.

I'd have to agree with you on the matter of remote control. This is disproportionate to the build and not really required. You can use a much cheaper universal remote and get much the same functionality. You can add this yourself without need for installation etc.

I think you'd be better off deciding on the kit you want and then approaching someone to then install it for you.

Thanks for your help.

I can change the components for sure. Sounds like you are inclining to Option 2 ? ... what receiver would you recommend instead ?

I'd personally be looking at something like Yamaha's RXA1040, preferably the RXA2040 if funds allow?

You could also spend about the same on speakers as you'd be spending on the IKON option, but look at wall mounted as opposed to floorstanders? Not sure how affordable M&K speakers would be where you are? Maybe also consider an acoustically transparent screen so that the centre speaker can be mounted behind it and in alignment with the left and right front speakers. as opposed to below the screen. After saying this, not sure on how this would be implimented given the space behind the screen?

Mounting the surround speakers flush to the walls is fine although I'd suggest using dipoles on the sides as rears and bipoles on the back wall behind you.

I'd also do some research into Dolby Atmos before committing yourself to anything. This is about to become the next big thing in home theatre and many of the manufacturers will be launching receiver's that include it shortly. You'd need to look at using both conventional as well as additional ceiling mounted speakers in order to implement it.

Last edited:
Hi,

Congratulations in advance of the system!:clap:

I take it your room is to be dedicated? What are your noise limitations like? What is more important, films or music?

For that sort of money I would recommend an MK or Ken Kriesel system, 2x subs if you can and an Audyssey equipped (Onkyo, etc) or Anthem AVR. You don't want to spend that sort of money and regret bits later!

Acoustically transparent screen is a must to get the sound perfect. You possible could save more too if you don't need it motorised screen... Just a thought.

Dolby Atmos would be nice but I would personally go for a better system than skimp so as to fit in more speakers... But that is just my opinion based on my system of a similar budget.

Can you find a dealer to demo everything at first? Pick the equipment then find an installer.

Tim

I will look into the M&K speakers here and see price and availability.

I have been recommended to get a DLP instead of LCD projector. In my budget I have found the BenQ W7500 which is even cheaper than the EPSON 6030UB.

The only huge difference I see is the contrast. The EPSON has much more than the BenQ. At least in numbers.

BenQ would be nice since is cheaper and seems to me a better technology DLP. But, would the Epson give me much better image quality ?

Here is the comparison:

Compare Projectors

And thanks everybody for your help.

I have the M&K150s (ran by Yamaha Z9) - these small THX speakers are amazing for home cinema and running at or near the intended reference volume level - you need a good size room and plenty of soft furnishing - inc something on walls if you can.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom