help me store my stuff!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by richard plumb, Mar 10, 2006.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    I'm off to Japan for two weeks soon for a holiday (well, with the wife and kids, so more like moving the stress abroad)

I only have one 1GB CF card so far, and I expect to take more photos that that in two weeks. So what options do I have for backing up?

1 - take more memory cards. I'll need these eventually but if I buy a couple of 2GB cards, will *that* be enough?

2 - buy an ipod and camera connector. I have a nano which I like, but I can get a 30GB for £180 which isn't too bad. Camera connector is supposed to be slow, but this is only occasional use and I'd be back at the inlaws before doing it so time isn't really an issue. Plus I can use it for music when I'm not using it for backup. And it can show the photos after transfer (I think?). Will copy RAW but not show - not an issue if I shoot jpeg only or RAW+Jpeg

3 - take laptop. Big, heavy, not really an option I don't think

4 - buy a portable HDD . fotochute and giga one for about £100. 20GB with CF reader built in. But I wouldn't use one often so is this a waste of money?

any suggestions? please bear in mind I don't simply want to buy the best back up solution- it needs to offer value for money (read: I will only need it once or twice a year if that)

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Buy a 2GB card for around £60 - you will use it and you caould always sell the 1GB one when you come back. When it's time for your next holiday if you need more the price of a 2GB one will be peanuts.

3. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,534
    Yeah, I'd opt for the CF Card route, far less hassle than having to transfer Gigabytes of data. You can also buy additional CF cards in Japan if need be.

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Personally though cumbersome, I would take the laptop as you can have instant results over there + maximum storage!!!!!!

I went to OZ for three odd months late last year and I wish I had taken my laptop as I took 3,500 pictures and spent a mint getting my CF card copied to CD in various cities.

How I wish I had taken the laptop!

Pete :)

5. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Have you seen this gadget you can now get that will connect your camera directly to a hard drive via a USB cable? I think the gadget itself is only about £25 so if you could pick up a cheap portable hard drive you could save yourself cash and get more storage for the money.

6. £note

£note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Look at these links

HTML:
    www.compactdrive.com/
    HTML:
    www.hyperdrive.com/shop/information.php?osCsid=467d31c648cbca4876cc700e619d6eae&info_id=14
    Dependant upon time - you would have to buy from USA or Singapore or Ebay

40GB model is around £115

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    I'll probably get a 2GB CF card, but I doubt thatd be enough for two weeks.

Any comments on the giga one?

Somebody else suggested getting them taken off and put on CD by a photo lab, but I don't know what they do with a card bigger than a CD?

8. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    i've had photos put on a cd before now while abroad, just took them into the local photo shop cost less than a quid per cd, if your worried about the files filling up the cd you could have them put on a dvd (or 2) 4.7gb capacity on there.

9. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Personally I have always gone the laptop route - only have to lug it to the hotel and back not around with you all the time - also normally find the odd place with free internet access which is great for sending your email post cards of phoning people using Skype or equiv.

10. HCking

HCking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If your going to Japan, just go into a photo shop and have them transfered to dvd, its very cheap, thats what my mate did. also buy a card spare card in Japan.