Help me spend some money!

jonnypb

This really is an addictive hobby! :eek:

Current Kit includes:-

400D, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 17-70

I would like to add a longer zoom lens to my collection. 2 obvious lenses that spring to mind are the Sigma 70-300 APO and the Canon 70-300IS

Sigma 70-300 APO can be had for £115 which is great value for money and I've seen some goods pics that people have taken. Downside is no IS and I feel that I'd get alot of throw aways due to image blur as you won't always have time to get it set up on a tripod if you see a shot you want to get quickly

Canon 70-300IS can be had for £340 from kerso plus I think it's about £30 cash back on this. Plus side is that it has IS which will be great for handheld shots at a large zoom. Have heard that the focusing is quicker than the sigma as well but not sure if thats true.

Although I'm tempted to go for the cheaper option I just feel that I'd be happier with the Canon as it's got the IS

What do you peeps think?

Or is there another lens that I should consider, Max budget is £400 but I'd like to keep it under £350 if poss. Minimum maximum zoom (If that makes sense) that I would want would be 200mm

Thanks

Tobers

Canon 70-200 F4L. Cant beat the quality, v.cheap for an L lens. Check Kerso's prices - it's probably about £360-£380. Lovely!!

Strobe

The Sigma APO is probably the best in it's class at that price; it's an excellent lens for the money and also has a useful macro feature. I am considering buying it to replace the Sony kit 75-300 which I have. However ... I have the image stabilisation built in to the camera body, so the lack of IS in the lens is not an issue for me. The IS in a telephoto lens is a real boon. A good example is a recent trip to the zoo, where with the big enclosures, I was using the 75-300 at 200-300mm a lot of the time, handheld. Using a tripod would have been a nightmare! I bumped in to a chap with the same camera as you bemoaning the fact that he didn't have an IS lens.

Good technique can help a great deal with camera shake (bracing your elbows against your chest, leaning against a wall, etc).

If I were in your position and funds allowed it then I would give serious consideration to a lens with image stabilisation. There are users of the 70-300 IS on here who will be able to advise on the merits (or otherwise) of that particular lens.

Gizmo 76

Canon 70-200 F4L. Cant beat the quality, v.cheap for an L lens. Check Kerso's prices - it's probably about £360-£380. Lovely!!

Second this, my favourite lens by far!!! Nice and light, smooth to control, quick to focus, reaps of quality and is capable of amazing results!! LOVE IT!! :D

Pirate!!

Banned
To be honest, if OIS was an issue then maybe you ought to have considered buying a Sony Alpha A100. Lenses with OIS will cost mucho £££'s over time.

However, the Sigma APO DG Macro would be the lens of choice.

Brammers

Banned
You can probably get a Sigma 70-200 2.8 for about the same price as a Canon 70-200 4. I'd do that for sure.

There's also Sigmas like this:

http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_28&products_id=312

&

http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_28&products_id=312

Otherwise... I'm really not a big fan of spending for features like IS on 'cheap' zoom lenses, a 4.5-5.6 zoom definately sits in that category for me. I'd go with the Sigma at just over £100 from onestop-digital and save your money for something really nice when the time comes.

senu

Distinguished Member
If you can, why not "borrow" for use one or 2 of the lenses on your shortlist and get some first hand experience. Some of the great images posted here are as much about the skill of the person doing the shooting as the lens itself

With lenses ( as with most thing in life) you get for you pay for ..

However, if your use for the Zoom compared to your everyday walkabout of primes is less it is pointless spending a lot only to use it only once in a while

I have the Sigma 70- 300 DG APO and am happy with it but wished it would have IS.. sometimes :rolleyes:
but
For what it cost, its lack of IS is no huge loss.There is always the tripod, wall..ect:) and IS is no cure all, great though it is

It is "affordable" enough to give you a taste of GQ Zoom without shelling out..Even if you later want better it is good enough to get loads of practice with; It is the Zoom equivalent of the nifty fifty ( IMO)

I wouldn't describe any lenses as "cheap", rather consumer grade . Unless you are expecting to earn from them or make huge poster sized prints , listen to your heart, then pocket,, after listening to all the advice here

Otherwise ... You only live once and buy cheap, buy twice happens very frequently in this photography malarkey
Good luck

denno75uk

You can probably get a Sigma 70-200 2.8 for about the same price as a Canon 70-200 4. I'd do that for sure.

There's also Sigmas like this:

&

Otherwise... I'm really not a big fan of spending for features like IS on 'cheap' zoom lenses, a 4.5-5.6 zoom definately sits in that category for me. I'd go with the Sigma at just over £100 from onestop-digital and save your money for something really nice when the time comes.

Not sure about the Sigma 2.8 coming in for 70-200 f4 L money. The IS version perhaps.

When I got my Sigma 70-200 2.8, the Canon f4 L was definitely on the list of possibles. Went for the Sigma for speed in the end, figuring I will add a X1.4 TC at some point to give me a 98-280 f4. It cost me £600 in the end. From onestop I think it's about £540 so still a bit more than you say you want to spend.

Checked out the 135-400 at photozone and it seems like a decent lens for the money but it's not the fastest to start with and the review says it's at its best at small apertures (f8-f11) so one meant for a tripod I would imagine.

I agree with Brammers though, that the Sigma 70-300 APO is such good VFM that it may be prudent to go for that to keep you going until you decide you need to spend bigger money.

If you do decide to go big, money wise, may I also offer for consideration the Sigma 100-300 f4. I so nearly went for this. It gets a stunning review at photozone.

jonnypb

Thank you all for the great advice as always

Certainly given me something to think about

Sigma 70-300 great value for money and cheap. Theres just something at the back of my mind saying if I'm going for that zoom range get the Canon IS

70-200 f4 with the cashback it comes in slightly cheaper than the 70-300IS :) . Need to look at one in the shop though to see the size and weight as it looks a bit big. I like the fact that it doesn't extend when you zoom though as when the 70-300 is fully extended I think it's longer than the 70-200. Would this look a bit big on a 400D though and be top heavy on a tripod (Velbon Luxi) The white looks a bit too professional for me :rotfl: Think I'm definately going to have to play with one in a shop

Will have a look at the other sigmas that were mentioned as well

Are owners of the 70-300IS happy with theirs in terms of image quality, focusing etc

Thanks again

jonnypb

just been doing some reading of the 70-300is and did it have a bad batch of lenses or something? a lot of people seem to have had a problem a little while ago and I've looked on ebay etc (kerso) who say the problems are now sorted and the 70-300is is from a fresh batch of lenses

bowenjones

There was a problem with the 70-300IS. The images were soft when used in portrait mode. Canon has now identified the cause and fixed it so any lens you buy now should be ok.

Radiohead

You'll end up getting the 70-200/2.8IS anyway, so why not just do that?

;)

A mint used Sigma 70-200/2.8 will be around £350-400 and that's a great lens. Heavier and bigger than the 70-200/4 for sure, but you gain in other areas like speed. The 70-300's are good fun and nice and light but people do often move on to the constant aperture glass afterwards. For now I'd get the 70-300 APO mentioned above until you're sure you want to spend on the pricier stuff.

Don't be scared of buying used - with the exception of my 24-105 all mine was bought used (mint) with very nice savings to be had. Buy well and you can sell on if needed without making a loss, or a very small one.

jonnypb

You'll end up getting the 70-200/2.8IS anyway, so why not just do that?

I wish! That would be very nice

A mint used Sigma 70-200/2.8 will be around £350-400 and that's a great lens. Heavier and bigger than the 70-200/4 for sure, but you gain in other areas like speed. The 70-300's are good fun and nice and light but people do often move on to the constant aperture glass afterwards. For now I'd get the 70-300 APO mentioned above until you're sure you want to spend on the pricier stuff.

Don't be scared of buying used - with the exception of my 24-105 all mine was bought used (mint) with very nice savings to be had. Buy well and you can sell on if needed without making a loss, or a very small one.

Don't mind buying used, I missed a canon 70-300is for sale the other week for £245ish which I would have snapped up

At the minute as I'm still learning dslr and fairly new I don't want a huge lens and I'd like a good zoom but light and fun to use, the Canon 70-200 would be verging on the big side so I think the Sigma is out of the question for my needs to be honest even though the constant 2.8 would be very nice.

I've read lots of posts now on here and POTN of peoples views and images taken with the Canon 70-300is and it seems to be highly recommended which produces some great images. Sure the 70-200 will be better built, better IQ but I've got something in the back of my mind saying it's a bit too big and would draw too much unwanted attention to myself. Been thinking and I'm thinking now that the 200mm might not be enough zoom :confused: :confused: I'm liking the 300mm zoom as I had 432mm on my Canon S2 which I thought was great.

hmmm I hate these decisions, will it be the sigma apo or will it be the canon 70-300is :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: swinging a lot more towards the canon at the minute

thanks for all the advice so far

jonnypb

been doing more research........

quite a few people on POTN and online reviews of the lens say "in terms of optical quality the EF 70-300mm IS can be almost described as a hidden Canon L lens"

it isn't L build quality but quite a few say it uses canon L optics,how true this is i don't know

denno75uk

been doing more research........

quite a few people on POTN and online reviews of the lens say "in terms of optical quality the EF 70-300mm IS can be almost described as a hidden Canon L lens"

it isn't L build quality but quite a few say it uses canon L optics,how true this is i don't know

The Photozone review can be seen here. They agree with the L comparison.

Looking back at your original post, you say you'd like to avoid a tripod where poss so it seems that if you don't want to fork for the fast glass (and who can blame you?) the 70-300IS is about the best bet.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom