1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me spend my money please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rich1231, Apr 27, 2005.

1. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I sold my Lounge TV on new years eve during a party. It was supposed to spur me on to get a plasma for the lounge wall. (Already got one in the bedroom, so im sold on them)

But now Im used to not having a TV in the lounge, I have thought about getting a projector instead for films, sports etc.

I had a demo of a Sim20 20H today and I was impressed. The price was approx 3k for the pj.

I would like the pj, cables, mount and screen to come in at 5k or less.

The room is large about 42' by 25' . I would also like to embed the screen in the ceiling if possible. Also the projector should be HDMI-HDCP compatible.

Really would welcome anyones thoughts..

Rich

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you've see the Sim2 and know you don't suffer from 'rainbows' then for just a bit more you could get an Optoma H78 which is hidef resolution which would be preferable IMX if you want to use a larger screen, say 80" or more.

3. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kragorn,

the Sim2 seems to have compatibility with all the appropriate Hidef display types. I know its resolution is less that the Optoma. But couldnt get a demo of that unit.

Using Hidef material, how much difference would there be between the 2 pj's? has anyone compared them?

Cheers

rich

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My comment about resolution isn't so much concerned with how well either would render a hidef source, downscaling by the lower res. projector wiuld still produce a good quality image.

I was looking at it from the image itself. I had a Sharp Z200E before the Optoma, projecting on to a 92" screen. The Sharp was 1024x576 and although the picture was very good in terms of colour, black depth etc., on that size screen viewed from 1.5 screen width distance the pixellation was noticeable and over time I found annoying. The H77's highre resolution solved that for me.

5. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks for that, it sort of makes sense.

How about brightness. My lounge isnt blacked out. So For twilight viewing which is the brighter?

Cheers
    Rich

6. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right,
    Pj's I have now seen demo'd are:
    Sim2 20H (looked great, but Im concerned that it doesnt have the resolution of the 30H or Themescene H78)

Sharp XV-Z10000 ( looked great as well, only doubt i have is it uses an older chipset than the Sim2)

Others I am considering:
    Sharp XV-Z2000 the reviews like it but I have noticed on pictures it doesnt have a 12v output for projector switching, which to me now I ahve looked into this is important. Or is there another way to switch them.

The sim2 30h, looks great but is just a bit out of my budget.

Themescen H78, seems to have all boxes ticked for features but I cant find anyone close to demo it. Im in Southend in Essex.

The more i read the more complex its getting for me.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    rich1231

For 'twilight' viewing the H78 is 'bright enough' - though you cant beat using any projector in Dark or near Dark conditions.

Embedding your Screen in your ceiling is going to stretch your budget if you want a Screen that's designed for 'In-ceiling' installations - otherwise you'd have to adapt an 'On-wall' unit; which are much less costly.

I take it you have a separate budget for the source and audio kit.

Best regards

Joe

8. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe,

Source and audio kit are already sorted thanks.

In ceiling is now a no no as well, I have checked the ceiling out and the floorboard supports for the floor above are going the wrong way.

Regards

Richard

9. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My mate bought an electric screen from nexnix cut hole in ceiling and mounted screen on beam, then re-plasterboarded/plastered up to a small 1" slot... it looks very neat and works well... he didnt get remote but uses trigger from his AE700 to drop screen. As said this a much cheaper way of doing it than buying dedicated in-ceiling mount screen.

Of course if your beams are the wrong way its a bit of a non-starter!!!

10. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

2 mins too late with my post!!! Shame about the beams!

EDIT... Have you looked at Screenplay 7205? This would be in your budget and has the 1280x720 resolution.

11. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guido, not included the screenplay in the list yet..
    I'll take a look thanks!

Cheers

Rich

12. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    SP7205 was a £5k pj until recently, but is around 3.5 now.
    http://www.infocushome.com/emea/eng/products/screenplay/sp7205.asp

Happy choosing... wish I had had £5k budget! :cool:
    Managed to do the whole lot for £2500 inc source, audio, cables, pj, screen etc with eBay and bargaining and serious shopping around!

Not sure where you'd get a demo of 7205 in Southend though.... is there a Sevenoaks HiFi near you? My local one was very helpful for demos.

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello both

I've 'seen' a few Screens that are Load Bearing - its amazing what folk get up to after a trip to B&Q :)

Lots of Drop Down screens now have 'non agricultural' housings - Beamax do a nice Aluminium job that's had the thumbs up from a few 'sceptical' customers significant others!!!

Have you considered a custom 'frameless' fixed screen - if your wall colours not to dissimilar to the screen fabric this can work well.

Best regards

Joe

14. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Joe,

I cant take over a wall, the screen is going to come down 2 feet in front of if as there is shelving in the way.

Getting a complete blackout is going to be really difficult also, as I have go a skylight in the roof in a stairwell about 35feet from the inteded location. I can blackout all the windows but the skylight will be really tough...

ta

Rich