Help me spend £800 (1080p)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by DarkJediUK, Sep 7, 2007.

Tags:
  1. DarkJediUK

DarkJediUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've finally gotten sick of my brother throwing his remotes at my tv when he loses a game now so I've banned him from my consoles for good, but now my Logik (yea, I know rubbish lcd) 30" has bitten the dust completely.

So I need a new one, and in three weeks or so I'll have about £800 to spend and would like your advice.

Mainly, I'll be using Xbox 360 on the tv (will have an Elite sat there waiting for HDMI 1080p goodness) and PS3 for playing the odd game but mainly for bluray, so I guess I'd need something that can support 1080p24f (or whatever it's actually called, damn these 12 hours shifts...) so again I'll be using HDMI for that to get the best out of it.
    I'll also be using my pc on it as a second screen, resolution doesn't matter particularly as it'll just be for playing a mixture of SD/HD video, so long as I've got 1:1 pixel mapping at whatever resolution it gives me over VGA I'll be happy there. If it gives me 1920x1080 over VGA (or via a DVI>HDMI adaptor and I can leave all three things connected, even better).
    I'll also be using it for Sky (SD, unfortunately) over scart for watching footy amongst other things.

Was seriously considering the Toshiba Regza 37X3030D from Pixmania (I've got a bit of credit there thanks to a mix up on a digital camera a while back so could knock £75 off their price. Would this be a good set for me?
    If not, what other sets in this rough price range would you recommend?

I can probably stretch to £850-£875, anything more than that and I'll have to wait another month to save, but if you can convince me why I should wait I will sit with my temporary 26" jvc for the time being.

Many thanks for spending my hard-earned for me :p

//edit: Forgot to state that 37" is probably the largest I can go at the moment due to the size of my room. I could possibly go 40" but would have to rethink how my room is organised and would need a serious justification on why I should pay more for three extra inches.

2. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    At near 840£ the Samsung LE-40M87 is the best you can find.Also there is and 37M87 but does not have the super clear panel that 40" has and the dynamic contrast is lower to 8.000:1 vs the 15.000:1 of the 40".Near 3-4weeks TONS of new models,but they will not fit your budget

3. DarkJediUK

DarkJediUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion, I've got a sneaking suspicion that the 37" model won't be as good for various reasons as the 40", but I still think 40" would be too large for my room.

What 37" versions would you recommend?

4. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    Samsung 37M87 is very good(not as good 40M87 though) also Toshiba 37X3030