Question Help me spend £650

smiff

So over the last few weeks I have been looking at replacing my Sony HT XT1 which I have had for around two years. For some reason it doesn't play nice with my new TV. This was a replacement for a AV Receiver and speakers.

Ideally I want simplicity and to be clutter free hence the reason I got rid of my car superior AV set up. Over the last couple of weeks I have considered the Sonos Playbar at £630, Bose Sound touch at £599, had a demo on the Weekend Acoustics M4 but didn't like it and cancelled a order of a set of Q Acoustics BT3. I am even considering a receiver and two stereo speakers however stands aren't an option.

My use would be Netflix, Amazon, XBOX One, Amazon Music and Blu Ray.

We have a narrow living room and sit directly opposite the TV. Pics can be provided of that helps.

Anyway what you spend the money on?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Have you considered an AVR with passive soundbar at the front?
Something like the Monitor Audio Radius One.

smiff

I was considering something like this. I just googled Monitor Audio Radius and there were quite a few options within the range.is there a specific one that you had in mind?

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Yamaha RN602 Network Stereo Receiver - £380 -

Yamaha RN602 Networked Stereo Receiver - Superfi

The Yamaha RN602 has 80w/ch, Network Streaming from local storage or the Internet, Bluetooth, 2xOptical, 2xCoaxial, USB-Media, Phono, Sub-out, etc....

For Speakers, it depends on how far you want to take it, but from your budget, with £380 for the Amp, we now have £270 for speakers.

Wharfedale Diamond 225 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Tannoy Mercury 7.2 Speakers - Superfi

Monitor Audio Bronze 2 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

These tend to be larger more full range bookshelf speakers.

If you feel these are too big, then consider the smaller 5" Versions - Diamond 220, Tannoy 7.1, and the Bronze 1. These would work best with a Subwoofer, but still stand pretty well on their own.

Can you explain why - NO STANDS?

Actually, if you really really have minimum space for speakers, the Monitor Audio Radius ONE is worth considering. Three passive speakers (left/center/right) built into one cabinet. Unfortunately the Radius One is £500 by itself. That doesn't leave much for an Amp.

Steve/bluewizard

smiff

Yamaha RN602 Network Stereo Receiver - £380 -

Yamaha RN602 Networked Stereo Receiver - Superfi

The Yamaha RN602 has 80w/ch, Network Streaming from local storage or the Internet, Bluetooth, 2xOptical, 2xCoaxial, USB-Media, Phono, Sub-out, etc....

For Speakers, it depends on how far you want to take it, but from your budget, with £380 for the Amp, we now have £270 for speakers.

Wharfedale Diamond 225 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Tannoy Mercury 7.2 Speakers - Superfi

Monitor Audio Bronze 2 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

These tend to be larger more full range bookshelf speakers.

If you feel these are too big, then consider the smaller 5" Versions - Diamond 220, Tannoy 7.1, and the Bronze 1. These would work best with a Subwoofer, but still stand pretty well on their own.

Can you explain why - NO STANDS?

Actually, if you really really have minimum space for speakers, the Monitor Audio Radius ONE is worth considering. Three passive speakers (left/center/right) built into one cabinet. Unfortunately the Radius One is £500 by itself. That doesn't leave much for an Amp.

Steve/bluewizard
Thank you as always for your help. I will check out the detail of the above in the morning. In terms of stands it solely comes down to space. We have built an extension on the back of the house with a small TV room. We have a large sofa on one wall cabinets on the opposite. We sit approx 3 m from the TV so it is a small room.

As part of the extension we have created an additional few rooms for my Dad who has moved in.

smiff

Pics below as an example of room size. There's normally a puppy crate next to the TV unit.

As you can see I don't have space for speaker stands.

Please ignore the shameful wire, until I decide what I'm doing I haven't set everything up properly yet.
IMG_20170621_111833.jpg
IMG_20170621_111848.jpg

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Looking at that I would still suggest the Radius One speaker wall mounted under the TV would be your best option.

smiff

I see an ex display Radius One advertised last night for £299. Will take another look at them in a mo. I'm not overly familiar with them.

I did pop into an AV shop in Cardiff today and they recommend keeping it simple with a Denon N9 or MD40 with a set up Dali speakers.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Was that audio T or Richer Sounds or somewhere else?
Either of those would work and I in fact use an older version of the Denon in my kitchen with the TV and ceiling speakers and it is fine.
The only issue would be you would really want to wall mount the Dali speakers as they will not sound their best on the unit.
Swansea here and my experience of audio T (both in Swansea and Bristol but not Cardiff) has always been good.

smiff

In fact it was both and both guys were great with advice and time spent even though they knew I wasn't buying today. Wall mounting isn't a problem.

I only had a demo of the MD40 which sounded great. I stumbled onto the other one. Just deciding if it's worth the extra £70 for all the inline stuff. I do have a chromecast but it will be one less thing to plug in.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
You certainly do have room for Bookshelf Speakers and a Sub. On the cabinets on each side of the TV, you have room for Bookshelf speakers and to the right you have room for a small Sub. But you won't do all that for £650. The Sub alone will cost £320, though perhaps as low as £220.

But a good amp and bookshelf speakers, perhaps on small tabletop stands, would work well.

But you have to make some decisions. The first being Stereo or Surround Sound?

While it is possible, your budget is very lean for a Surround Sound system. Though you can get a pretty fair Stereo if you are willing to go with Bookshelf Speakers. The larger Diamond 225 and Bronze 2 or similar should have sufficient bass to be good for both movies and music ... within reason.

Keep in mind, while the Monitor Audio Radius ONE might be a good solution, it is also £500 by itself, then add another £500 for an AV Receiver, and another £300 for a Sub, then the budget is now £1300, and you don't even have a full Surround Sound system. Add about £200 more for a total of £1500, and you can expand that with Side Surround Speakers.

Then you have to consider needed features and personal priorities.

Do you need Network Streaming? The ability to Stream Music from local storage on your computer network, from Internet Streaming Services, and from Internet Radio. Most AV Receivers will have this feature. Some Stereo Receiver, such as the Yamaha RN602 also have Network Streaming.

If your priority is music, then you probably want a Stereo. If your priority is Movies, then you probably want a Surround Sound system, but as I have illustrated, what will likely require you to at least double your budget.

I outlined a good Stereo System with Streaming and bookshelf speaker for pretty much dead-on your stated budget. With the same budget, if you go to a Surround Sound system, then the quality of the components goes down.

So, this is how I see it -

1.) Get a Stereo.

2.) Double your Budget for Surround Sound.

Steve/bluewizard

smiff

You certainly do have room for Bookshelf Speakers and a Sub. On the cabinets on each side of the TV, you have room for Bookshelf speakers and to the right you have room for a small Sub. But you won't do all that for £650. The Sub alone will cost £320, though perhaps as low as £220.

But a good amp and bookshelf speakers, perhaps on small tabletop stands, would work well.

But you have to make some decisions. The first being Stereo or Surround Sound?

While it is possible, your budget is very lean for a Surround Sound system. Though you can get a pretty fair Stereo if you are willing to go with Bookshelf Speakers. The larger Diamond 225 and Bronze 2 or similar should have sufficient bass to be good for both movies and music ... within reason.

Keep in mind, while the Monitor Audio Radius ONE might be a good solution, it is also £500 by itself, then add another £500 for an AV Receiver, and another £300 for a Sub, then the budget is now £1300, and you don't even have a full Surround Sound system. Add about £200 more for a total of £1500, and you can expand that with Side Surround Speakers.

Then you have to consider needed features and personal priorities.

Do you need Network Streaming? The ability to Stream Music from local storage on your computer network, from Internet Streaming Services, and from Internet Radio. Most AV Receivers will have this feature. Some Stereo Receiver, such as the Yamaha RN602 also have Network Streaming.

If your priority is music, then you probably want a Stereo. If your priority is Movies, then you probably want a Surround Sound system, but as I have illustrated, what will likely require you to at least double your budget.

I outlined a good Stereo System with Streaming and bookshelf speaker for pretty much dead-on your stated budget. With the same budget, if you go to a Surround Sound system, then the quality of the components goes down.

So, this is how I see it -

1.) Get a Stereo.

2.) Double your Budget for Surround Sound.

Steve/bluewizard
I have decided on the Denon RCD N9 and possibly the Bronze 2 however think they may be slightly large so may drop down to the smaller version or the Dali Sensor Pico which I heard today. I will then add a sub at some point.

We do listen to quite a bit of music all via Amazon however may move over to Spotify.

After a few weeks of dithering and looking into different solutions to fit into our lifestyle I feel this should tick the boxes.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Your choice, but while the Denon CEOL RCD-N9 is long on features, it is short on power.

The claim is 65w/ch to 4 ohms at 1khz, which means probably only 32w/ch to 8 ohms. And likely full range, probably about 28w/ch. That's not terrible, actually above most compact mini-amps. But ...really... just packed with a ton of features.

So, it is something of a judgement call. You can get more power with less feature. Or in this case you can get more feature and less power. Though to be fair, 28w to 30w/ch is probably fine for casual listening.

The Peter Tyson price of £410 for the amp and the Bronze 2 is a pretty good deal too.

So, really it is down to your judgement on the matter. I can't fault you for choosing the Denon ... as long as you understand what you are getting.

https://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/compactsystem/networkmusicsystem/ceoln9

Steve/bluewizard

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I have a similar unit to the Denon N9 with similar power output and it provides more than enough volume in my kitchen which is significantly bigger than the OPs room so I would not worry about that aspect of the unit.

smiff

I have a similar unit to the Denon N9 with similar power output and it provides more than enough volume in my kitchen which is significantly bigger than the OPs room so I would not worry about that aspect of the unit.
Out of interest which one did you get? I'm just deciding to go for this with all the features or get the cheaper MD40 and just put my Chromecast in.

smiff

Sorry, I meant DM40. I know it's a lower output but from the demo I received it was loud enough.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
... I just checked the detail of the MD40 which I actually had a demo of today and this is much more powerful so should hopefully be suitable for how we Will use it.

D-M40 | Micro Hi-Fi System with digital radio - Denon
I told you they fudge the power on the Mini-Amps.

The MD40 is rated at 30w to 6 ohms at 1khz, meaning to a standard 8 ohm it would be 22.5 watts, and full range likely about 20w/ch.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 21st October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG SIGNATURE OLED R TV now available in South Korea
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display teams with Disney for OLED Projects
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Campfire Audio updates Vega and Dorado earphones
  • By Andy Bassett