Help me spend £2.5k

jamescarter1981

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm after changing my speakers and want some opinions.

I'm currently using an Onkyo TX-NR1007 with mordaunt short mains and rears, a tnnoy bookshelf for a centre and a Tannoy S-Sub 15.

I don't know whether to buy a complete setup, like the Monitor Audio RX6AV12 or spend more money on the speakers and keep my sub for the time being and buy a new one in 6-7 months.

Wht do you think?

I'm not sure which would be the best way but if you go with the RX package, I'd get the RX8s as the fronts, rather than the RX6s --- you should be able to do that within your current. budget

I've just purchased the RX8 fronts with RX1 rears RX centre and RXW12 sub with an AV Receiver, Blu ray player & all the cabling for £3000

They offered those speakers as a package for £2150

The RX8 would suit the Onkyo Slightly better than the RX6 as they are just a little more refined and a little basier which i preffer but that is a personal thing.

For the money I couldn't find a better set of speakers but I paired mine with a Pioneer amp and blu ray after trying a Denon and Yamaha Av reciever as well.

Kind Regards,

Adam

Edit: Do you use the system for movies more or music or is it an even split. I would also say that I only heard the real advantage when Bi-amped and playing games or music compared to movies so may not need to upgrade to the RX8's depending.

Edit: Do you use the system for movies more or music or is it an even split. I would also say that I only heard the real advantage when Bi-amped and playing games or music compared to movies so may not need to upgrade to the RX8's depending.[/QUOTE]

At the moment, i use it for everything really, but more towards games, tv, movies than music.

I will also be buying cable so i can bi-amp the fronts. I was considering doing this with my current ones and was surprised to find out that i could do this, when Richer Sounds said that i couldn't!

I do prefer a bassier sound, especially when listening to music. I was initially very disappointed with the Onkyo when i first listened to it after doing the audessey setup, it seemed to have lost a lot of mid and bass, especially from the sub (compared to m old Yamaha AX1). Now that i've had a play with the settings it is sounding better, but i do think that it's lacking definition with the treble on music.

I'm going to do to Sevenoaks on Friday and get them to set me up the folowing (hopefully)

RX8 fronts
GSLCR
RX1 Rears
RXW12 (although if i bump for the more expensive fronts and centre, i'll keep my Tannoy sub for the time being.

I've also budgeted about £350 for new speaker cables, Sub cable and some decent HDMI's (my current ones are £5 jobs off Ebay).

In that case I would say go for the RX8's. If you are using it more as an allround system I would say dont get the RX1 for rears and go for the RXFX as they are better for both games and movies (when I demo'd them).

For £2500 you should be able to get all the speaker cables and the speakers specified as a package.

I got QED Bi amp 3m fronts, QED 11m rear, 6m sub cable and 2 QED hdmi cables in my package which seperatly retail around the £350 mark.

If you listen to music in stereo then you will really hear the benifits of the RX8's. For the price difference and as a package deal you shouldn't get any less for 2.5k maybe even a little less.

But yeah try them out at Sevenoaks, I found them to be a little more expensive then a few other retailers though so keep that in mind.

Kind Regards,

Adam

I won't actually be buying them from Sevenoaks, just had trouble finding a retailer that has all the speakers i want, so i can listen to thm all.

I'm actually buying them through my work trading service. If i'd got the AV12 setup i get £300 off it, so i should be in for a reasonable discount.

I'll make sure to take a couple of films an some tunes along with me to try them out with!

I won't actually be buying them from Sevenoaks, just had trouble finding a retailer that has all the speakers i want, so i can listen to thm all.
Not really fair on the retailer doing that IMHO. Maybe you should offer to pay them for the time they spent demoing?

Doing things like that gives manufacturers like Denon, excuses to ban internet sales. And we don't want to give them excuses!

It is a bit cheeky to do that.

I'm replacing all my HDMI's and getting new speaker cables too, so i'll probably get them from there. That'll be a good £3-400.

Unfortunately, my trading service restricts who i can buy from, which is a real pain in the butt!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom