Help me some needed info plzzz

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by belfastbloke, Jan 4, 2012.

1. belfastbloke

belfastbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi folks,its been a while since i posted,so i hope this is n the right place.Well i think it is ,seeing as it is to do with pc gaming [sort off].I have a dell system which i have upgraded over the past year[graphics card,psu,memory].Thing is i want to upgrade my processor,but if i can get away with just getting a new motherboard,than happy days.
    system
    quad core q6600
    nvidia 550ti
    4 gig[not sure wot the memory is]
    your bog standard dell motherboard.
    So would i be as well upgrading to an i5 2500k,or staying put and oc my 6600.
    help me plzzz.

2. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    How much you got to spend?

3. belfastbloke

belfastbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    About £300

4. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Your CPU is a socket 775 chip. The Core i5 uses a different socket type as well as different memory so if you want to upgrade your CPU then you're looking at a whole new board and new memory too. If you want an i5 2500k (great chip BTW, i have one :)) then you're looking at £330+ depending on board and memory type before you even look at anything else.

The Q6600 is a pretty good chip but having a Dell motherboard will really limit your choices as well, not to mention the Dell PSU is usually only just enough for everything to run successfully.

In all honesty you'd be better to make do with what you have and save for a new whole tower, PSU, case, everything which will be around £500 or so.

Scan have a Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked Combo With Coolermaster Silencio RC-550 Mid Tower Full Black (In/Out) Silent Case USB 3.0 with 3.5" X-Doc, SD Card w/o PSU,
    650W PSU, Coolermaster GX RS650-ACAAE3-UK, 85% Eff', 80 PLUS Bronze, SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, Quiet Fan, ATX v2.31
    •8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black LP, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V
    •Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3, Intel Z68, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, RAID SATA, PCIe 2.0 (x16), ATX
    •Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked, S1155, Sndy Bridge, Quad, 3.3GHz, HD3000 IGP 850Mhz, 6MB Cache 95W Retail

for £420. use your existing card, Hard drive, DVD rom drive etc (assuming they're standard items) and hopefully a copy of windows for a big increase.

£419.99

5. belfastbloke

belfastbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How's this for a deal
    ASUS Sandy Bridge Rev 3.0 mATX motherboard,
    Intel Pentium Core i5 2500K CPU,
    4GB Kingston DDR3 Memory and Asus Lion Square Ultimate cooling fan
    all for£320.

6. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,209
    As Miss Chief points out, you are missing the PSU, which you dont want to be running your new i5 on the one from the Dell case. I would look at replacing the lot as MC mentions.

7. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    I'd take that GPU out of there and dump that DELL into the fiery recesses of HELL and grab a new mobo, RAM & CPU [And possibly a new case, if it's not too much hassle].

One quick thing, download this:
    Speccy - System Information - Free Download

Just have a look at the Summary Page :) You will be able to tell us your type of RAM in no time! :) [I think it will be DDR2 though!]