help me!!! samsung tv/home cinema/ps3/virgin v+ setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by carlsatterthwai, Feb 4, 2009.

1. carlsatterthwai

carlsatterthwai
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all. this is my 1st post so please bare with me. i desperately need help connecting my home cinema etc to get it working properly.

i have:
    samsung LE32R8 tv
    HT-X200 2.1 cinema system
    ps3
    and virgin v+ box

since owning this equipment i have had the tv connected to the cinema system via hdmi cable, the virgin box connected to the tv via scart and the ps3 connected to the tv via hdmi/cinema system via optical cable, which all worked great apart from i could get the surround sound only when using the ps3 and not when watching virgin. so... i decided to try and sort it out but to no avail!

i want to keep the ps3 and virgin box through hdmi for best picture quality but also want surround sound through the cinema system on both. i play all dvds and blu rays on my ps3 so the cinema system is only used for sound not video.

i currently have this setup:
    ps3 to tv via hdmi
    virgin v+ to tv via hdmi
    home cinema to tv via component
    home cinema to tv via optical (for sound)

it works, to some degree. i can get surround sound through my cinema system when watching virgin and using ps3 (which is my main aim) but after about 15 mins the sound starts to crackle through surround speakers but if i turn the cinema system off then back on again it works fine for another 15 mins before the same happens again! which can be seriously annoying turning on/off all the time! a guy in currys electrical shop told me that setup should work fine, all the cables i have (hdmi/optical/component) are seemingly decent ones as they were reasonably expensive so i am begginning to think my cinema system is faulty but have not found anyone with similar problems. the optical cable worked fine when running the ps3 sound through it on my previous setup so thats not faulty. all the components are reasonably spaced out, no speakers near, on glass stand, not ontop of eachother so cannot see it being interference of any kind. the only other thing is my wireless router and modem are quite near but i wouldnt have thought that would make much difference.

can anyone help me please. much appreciated if you have taken time to read all this. regards carl

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    By routing the audio via the TV, you are not experiencing true surround sound. You need to connect directly and if you have only 1 optical input, you'll need a 3 way manual optical switch and some more optical cables (1 per source and 1 output from the switch to the h/c system). See maplins, tvcables or audiovisualonline.

3. carlsatterthwai

carlsatterthwai
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks dave, thats brilliant, cheers for taking the time to read all my post. i had thought of that idea over the past few days as i hav been switching the optical cable directly between the v+ box and the ps3 and was getting no interference at all. i'll check out maplins etc. as u recommended. thanks agian!