1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP ME! Samsung PS42P2S or LG MZ42P10

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TP2K, Jan 15, 2003.

1. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been out to DSG to buy my chosen plasma - £3K on a Samsung 42" all-in package. Display, Table Stand, Tuner & Speakers.

Milling around I spotted the LG MZ42P10 - same price, £3K - and the same package deal - Table Stand, Tuner & Speakers.

So, PLEASE HELP ME - which one do I go for? I absolutely WILL buy one tomorrow; I just need some guidance now!

The only plus point I can think of on the Sammy is Progressive Scan which the LG doesn't have. Both I believe (correct me if I am wrong, please!) feature fanless cooling systems...

- so I really can't decide one over the other now - I would be VERY greatful for any help

THANK YOU!

2. Mr Rob T

Mr Rob T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

You really need to see them both playing from the same sources (ideally sources you will be using). Then decide which picture looks best to you. Its also important to have a play with the controls (see if you are happy with them too).

Your eyes are the best judge of picture, its you that will be watching it for years to come. For the final decision its not really important what others think, its important for them but not for you.

The LG does support progressive scan on NTSC discs, but not PAL unless you have a PS player which will output/convert PAL to NTSC.

BTW I too had exactly the same choice to make. I audtioned them both. One of them (too me) was a better picture. I decided on that one.

Good luck and enjoy your choice.

3. satch

satch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes make sure you demo them with dvd and sky before you buy as mr rob says,

i brought the samsung and returned it as the picture from sky was dreadful(could of been a faulty screen)though.

if you mainly watch sky/ntl etc i would reccomend the panasonic 5 series if you can spend an extra £500!
    gives an excellent picture through sky ,if you search around you can get the silver pan screen with rca terminal board for £3198, panasonic wall mount £237, qed av1920 scart rgb to phono lead for sky to screen £57.

total cost =£3492 inc vat and delivery:cool: :cool: :cool:

4. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments, guys.

I have to say I went to one store today and "auditioned" a Superbit disc on the Samsung... I was quite happy with it's performance; happy enough that I went out tonight to buy it.

Then the LG got thrown into the equation, a demo on that this evening and I was eaqually impressed; I really couldn't give either of these models a plus over the other (except that Progressive Scan is a feature on the Sammy, which I have to say - I know enough about it, but still very little).

The current scenario is this; to me the image is the most important. The image on BOTH displays was perfectly good; I wouldn't say I could distinguish between either.

Given that, I have leanings toward the LG purely for the branding and the reputation that LG's have over Samsung plasma's.

A fair assumption, anyone? C'mon - help me spend my £3K! :)

5. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey; Robt T - which one did you go for? I'm leaning LG!

6. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you realy intend to use the progressive scan features of either panel? If you intend to go with an iscan then definitly go samsung. If on the other hand you are simply listing "features" then you are second guessing yourself.

In truth both panels give a very similar performence and for me the only real difference is in the tuner box and the speakers. The tuner is very good on the samsung and the lg's I've looked at also seem to be well supported in this area. The biggest differnece comes in the supplied speakers. I was VERY supprised buy the samsung and would say that the performance was on par with many entry level hi-fi boxes.

As I've said before trust your eyes, make your choice and stick with it. Failing that you could take the scientific route and flip a coin (don't laugh I took this drastic step when choosing Bryston amps :) )

Phil

7. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil

TBH; Progressive Scan is not really an issue at this stage... it's something I didn't consider and I guess was jsut a bonus (although I wouldn't have had any benefit from it at this stage).

To me DVD image is of paramount importance. But, I am an out-of-the-box kind of kid! So from what I have seen in both these deisplays tonight has me quite happy. Sure the Samsung has three scarts over the LG two on the tuner box, but that is as good as the plus points get; it really is that insignificant!

The supplied speakers would be adequate, but I do intend to route into the equation my own DTS surround, so I guess weeks down the line and their importance may become less of an issue (unless of course I choose to wire them into the system).

If only I had not walked past the LG tonight! None of this would be relevant and I would be sat here awaiting a Samsung delivery date!

8. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tell you what I didn't deliberate this long over picking a wife ......... having said that I did upgrade to a much younger model later, and the buyout clause did cost me a house. :(

Note to self............ must take more time over my choices :)

9. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL!

Well, ya made me laugh in all this madness! :D

10. Mr Rob T

Mr Rob T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Well I went for the LG, for 3 reasons really. First was I thought the picture (too me) was more pleasing, secondly The build quality of the LG seemed higher, and finally I had not had a very good experince (both repair and customer relations) with samsung over a video recorder i bought a couple of years ago.

This may not be the right decsion for you, the Sammy may have the edge in your eyes. To be honest there is not much in the picture between them.

The packages do give a nice easy out of the box experience and the tuner boxes do make them wife friendly (important for me).

I am more than happy with DVD and Freeview picture on mine. I have had it about 6 weeks now and I still get a buzz every time I watch a DVD.

One a final note I was about to get mine from currys, they said there was a 6 to 8 weeks delivery at the time. I decided to look around and found them at QED-UK for just over £2500, I did have to wait 3 weeks and they did seem to sell out very quickly, I don't know if they will be getting any more, it may be worth having a quick look there if you decide on the LG.

Rob

11. steel muppet

steel muppet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would also be worth nothing that the 'LG MZ42P10' is a bit of an old model now.

It has been replaced with :

LG MZ42P13 (I have one of these and extremely happy with it)
    LG MZ42P14

and finally

LG MZ42P17 which has even better contrast levels etc.....

Check before you buy!

12. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As muppet says, the '14' is definately available at £2999 (www.powerhouse.co.uk).

My Curry's has the '10' on display at that price. Having said that I have no idea in the difference in the two models.

13. jascha

jascha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TP2K,

Had same issue. As above, picture quality is subjective so see for yourself. IMO, all plasmas look good with DVD's - the real test is with non-DVD sources so try to watch them with a selection of these - particularly sport (if you watch it, that is...) and VHS (if you use that). It is well worth playing with the picture settings to see if you can find one that suits you. Definitely have a look at the LG MZ42P17 (RS do it although without the tuner) as the picture is noticeably better (to me, that is!).

Good luck,

Jascha

14. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pls close?