Question Help me quieten & cool my case

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Foster1984, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I am planning on adding a new GPU and HDD to my build soon. But I have also recently started to notice the noise being made by the fans, and have decided that while I'm under the hood I might as well look at sorting out the noise issue. This will be the first time I have ever put in none supplied case and CPU fans, so just after a bit of advice and recommendations.

Firstly, let me tell you about my build;

Case: Cooler Master Elite 120
    MB: Asus H81i-Plus
    CPU: Intel i5-4590
    RAM: 2x4GB Corsair 1600
    GPU: Nvidia GT545 OEM (Upgrading to MSI GTX970 soon)
    PSU:
    Corsair CXM750W
    SSD:
    120GB Samsung 840
    HDD:
    2TB WD Green (Adding additional 1TB WD Blue for gaming soon)
    Optical:
    Pioneer BD drive

The PC is mainly used for watching films/TV via Kodi and playing games on my main lounge TV. Current temperatures after gaming (Usually for 3+hours) sit at 48-40c for the CPU and 51-55c for the GPU, so well within limits on stock cooling. Temperatures after watching numurous hours of films/TV are much less than this around 30c for both CPU and GPU. I have no real way of measuring Db but might try and download an app to measure this tonight.

I am considering upgrading the case fans and the CPU fan for 2 reasons. The first is current noise level of the fans, not really loud but certainly noticable to me when sat approximately 6ft away while gaming or during quiet sections of films/TV. The second is that the new GPU is known for not activating the fans until it reaches 60c (in order to have quiet operation), and I am slightly concerned this might push ambient temperatures within the case higher.

Due to not having any experience in this area, i was hoping someone would be able to recommend me a decent performance quiet 120mm fan and low profile CPU cooler for my needs?

Thanks in advance.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,548
    I haven't actually heard of anyone testing it but I would have thought the actual increased heat output from power leakage at higher temperatures is minimal.

What cooler and fans are you using currently? I'm guessing it's not stock as 50°C is awfully cool for the Intel stock cooler.

The first thing I'd do is remove the 545 and use the integrated graphics to see how that affects the noise. If most of the noise of noticeable character is coming from your graphics card then there's no point with fiddling around with new CPU and case fans. If you've picked a GTX 970 with a nice noise then it'll be solved as soon as you replace that.

You probably won't get a 250W system in a case like like that to be silent but you should be able to get it so the noise isn't bothersome.

3. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Actually I am currently using the Intel stock cooler and default case fans. Im as surprised as everyone else with the temperatures.

To my ears (whilst being pressed to the case), the majority of the noise appears to be coming from the small 80mm fan at the back and the GPU fan, can't really tell how much the CPU fan is making without taking the case sides off.

The PSU fan also seems to be making a squeaking noise I hadn't noticed before, but that might be because I had my ear right up to it.

Using a sound meter app, I was getting between 58-64Db. But thats not in a lab so there was ambient noise.

4. scythefwd

scythefwd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Those 80mm fans can get loud. They make some quiet solutions for them.. rubberized gaskets for mounting, etc.. but in the end.. they just have to spin to move air. Going to a larger fan can decrease that noise, as can adding a fan controller and turning it down a bit.

GPU cooling.. you're stuck with stock or going water cooling (whole different set of hassles really).

You might (MIGHT) be able to find a passive cooler for the cpu, but you will see a temp increase.. those really depend on case air flow to keep things managed. I know there are fanless heatsinks out there for server based processors, but they have arrays of case fans moving a LOT of air past them.. Depending on size of case, and if you OC or not.. (or can even stand to undervolt and under clock a hair...) it may be possible. There is always watercooling...

5. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I might consider moving to a bigger case, not much I can do with my little ITX case.

I've noticed that most cases will still take my ITX m/b, so I might get a bigger case and then that gives me more upgrade options later down the road. But for te time being I would have more choices for CPU cooler, there would be more air flow within the case and likely the case fans would be queiter too.

6. thekeemo

thekeemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Do you have a budget? I recommend BeQuiets Silent Wings 2 VERY highly.

7. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Are they still good at keeping things cool?

After installing the MSI GTX970, due to the fans not starting up until it hits 60c I have seen ambient temperatures within the case go up. Both GPU and CPU are now hitting 55-57c after approx 4 hours of gaming (ARMA 2 DayZ mod & Dying light).

I know those are still good temps for a mITX case as small as mine, but I was previously getting 45c for the GPU and 35-40c for the CPU with the old GPU that always had its noisy fan going.

Any suggestions for a low profile CPU cooler or thin 80mm fan?

8. thekeemo

thekeemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    they are the number two quiet and powerful fans just behind the super ugly noctuas
    and what is your cooler budget?

9. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Budget is about £50 for 120mm fan, 80mm thin fan and CPU cooler, which is tight I know.

Though, recently I am torn between cooling my current case...or purchasing a bigger case. :confused:

A bigger case would obviously allow for more air flow, and depending on which brand I got probably come with better quieter fans. Im just unsure if putting my mITX motherboard into a bigger case would be pointless, since the hot components would still be exactly as close to each other as they had been in small case. So it might be pointless until I could afford to also move to a mATX or ATX motherboard.

Any thoughts?

10. thekeemo

thekeemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    hmmm how important is the 80mm fan
    PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/wqHbYJ
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/wqHbYJ/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler (£34.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 2 50.5 CFM 120mm Fan (£14.27 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £49.26
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-26 14:58 BST+0100

ignore the rest of this post im new here so im testing stuff out

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler (£34.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 2 50.5 CFM 120mm Fan (£14.27 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £49.26
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-26 14:58 BST+0100

[PCPartPicker part list](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/wqHbYJ) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/wqHbYJ/by_merchant/)

[PCPartPicker part list](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/wqHbYJ) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/wqHbYJ/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
    :----|:----|:----
    **CPU Cooler** | [Noctua NH-L9x65 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhl9x65) | £34.99 @ Amazon UK
    **Case Fan** | [be quiet! SilentWings 2 50.5 CFM 120mm Fan](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/be-quiet-case-fan-bl030) | £14.27 @ Aria PC
    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
    | **Total** | **£49.26**
    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2015-07-26 14:59 BST+0100 |

Type|Item|Price
    :----|:----|:----
    **CPU Cooler** | [Noctua NH-L9x65 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhl9x65) | £34.99 @ Amazon UK
    **Case Fan** | [be quiet! SilentWings 2 50.5 CFM 120mm Fan](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/be-quiet-case-fan-bl030) | £14.27 @ Aria PC
    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
    | **Total** | **£49.26**
    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2015-07-26 14:59 BST+0100 |

11. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    The 80mm fan is the noisest fan...by far, but is not massively important if those 2 fans would provide enough cooling to allow me to just cut the 80mm fan's power and not use it?

Would you think that changing the fans is better than switching to a bigger case?

12. thekeemo

thekeemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Yes small cases are awesome
    Where is the 80mm fan anyway? and why slim?

13. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Its is in the back right corner, and it is only 15mm thick, instead of the standard 25mm. As shown in this picture;

Cooler Master: Elite 120 Advanced

I am tempted to go for a bigger case though, as I am at the limit for what that case can hold, and the cable management is difficult to do with so much in the case. But my current case fits so nicely under my TV, inside the TV cabinet. :confused:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  14. thekeemo

thekeemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
  15. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    How can I find out if my PSU fan sucks or blows? As if it blows, it would be blowing hot air directly onto the CPU. I only ask as the case instruction manual shows the case fan facing up out the top, which is the way I have it in my case.

Is the Noctua CPU cooler and BeSilent Fans still good? As I have read that some quiet fans (Case and CPU ones) are only quiet because they move slower and therefore do not cool very well.

16. thekeemo

thekeemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    They move slower but with each rotation they push more air than standard fans and they can go up to the same speeds if you want. LinusTechTips has a good video about premium fans where he shows that the extra quiet fans actually improve temps.
    The end where you plug it into power is always the exhaust. the big fan is always intake. You want that intake to be pulling from the case instead of the outside in a small system like this unlike with a big case where you want it seperate.

17. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Ah ok, but if it is not getting cool air from outside the case, is that hot air not bad for the PSU? It also makes the vent on top of the case a bit redundant.

Also, if the PSU is sucking in and pushing out the back (power plug area) how does that affect the CPE fan? As I presumed the CPU fan blew onto the CPU, which if the big PSU fan was sucking air right above the CPU it wouldn't leave much air for the little CPU fan to blow on the CPU. (If I've described that right) :eek:

Sorry if all these questions are a bit noobish BTW, this is the first time I have built a gaming PC. Im used to HTPCs (hence the small case) where cooling isn't really an issue as nothing is pushed to the point where much heat is generated.

18. thekeemo

thekeemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    your forgetting something. That air that is pushed onto the CPU (if thats how that specific cooler works) still goes back into the case. The PSU will help get rid of that hot air.

19. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    OK, good point. This is the power supply I have;

CX Series™ Modular CX750M ATX Power Supply — 750 Watt 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified Modular PSU

So the big fan (120mm?) will suck in and the air will go out the back holes next to where the power cord plugs in? Is that right?

That would mean overall air flow was 120mm front fan & 80mm side fan suck cool air into case, CPU fan blows this air onto CPU and the MSI GTX970 fans (which only kick in at 60c) will suck air in to cool the heatsink pushing the air into the case, then the PSU fan sucks all hot air out the back. Correct?

20. thekeemo

thekeemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    yes, well kinda the GPU and CPU heatsinks pull air from inside the case not outside the case.

21. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I think my GPU fan pulls air from outside, as the layout of the case has the fan right next to a vent (It can be seen on the case link I posted earlier).

I understand that the CPU fan (and GPU fan in bigger cases) uses internal air to cool the CPU, but I just thought the job of the 120mm and 80mm fan was to ensure that the internal air was as cool as possible?

What is a good operating temp for idle and gaming? When it used to be a HTPC the CPU temp was also around 25-28c, with older GPU the temps increased to 35-40c for the CPU and 45c for the GPU and 35-40c for the CPU, with new GPU I am seeing both GPU and CPU hitting 55-57c after approx 4 hours of gaming.

22. thekeemo

thekeemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    anything below 85 is safe optimal is 30-75

23. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Ah, so it is cool enough as it is. So just need to decide how much quieter I want it to be. :)

So do you think the BeQuiet case fans and Noctua CPU fan you linked to would make make things much quieter? Would a Noctua case fan be better than the BeQuiet, or is it a few quid more just for the name? Any advice between the SilenX or the Noiseblocker fan for the 80mm?

24. thekeemo

thekeemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    its quieter but not really enough to be noticeable (silent vs silent) and poop-tan colored

25. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    OK, might consider getting those then.

I'll have to look up how to actually change them and connect them up. As my motherboard only has 1 case fan connecter and 1 cpu fan connecter, so no issues with CPU fan, but might not be able to connect both case fans. But the case fans are not currently connected to the motherboard, so will have to see how they currently connect and therefore how to remove them, etc.

26. thekeemo

thekeemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    1. 4 screws and unplug the cable are all you need to do to remove the 120mm and 80mm fan
    2. to put the new ones in do the reverse except plug the fans into the motherboard (if only one header get a Y splitter)

27. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Any idea what the current case fans are plugged into? I cant see it on the online manual and am not at home ATM to look in case.

28. thekeemo

thekeemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    If its not the motherboard its a molex connection. Fyi i mighg not be able to help for at least 18 hours since im travelling (shebin el kom egypt to Toronto via Athens) in 4 hours

29. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    No sweat, you have been fantastic help.

I do seem to remember that it was a molex connector, so I'll have to look at taking that out once the fans are replaced. :rolleyes:

Hope your journey went well! :thumbsup:

30. thekeemo

thekeemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    As long as i dont go to Malaysia I should be fine