1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me purchase a plasma... :-)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MorganDK, Mar 17, 2003.

1. MorganDK

MorganDK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have been into Bang & Olufsen equiptment for a while but after seeing the obscene price they want for their (very nice looking plasma - 15.000£ :suicide: - I decided that there must be other options.

The TV is supposed to be mounted in my bedroom which is about 18m2 - so 42" is the max size im gonna shove inthere.

I have been reading up on this forum and it would seem that most people are getting the new Panasonic 5 series.

Now, in Denmark the price of a 42" Panasonic 5 is about 4300£ + tuner and kits - which brings it up to around 4600 or so.

In the meanwhile a guy offers me a LG MZ-42PZ13B do anyone here know if they are useable? Is the tuner included? What are the extra costs? I checked it on RS at around 2000£ - which sounds a bit too good to be true.

Basically - im asking - is the LG ok quality for a saving of around 2000£ compared to the Panasonic 5. Or should I go all the way and get the Panasonic?

Morgan :)

2. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should compare prices that are comparable - comparing the UK LG price from Richer Sounds is not comparable with a Panasonic from Denmark at 4,600 pounds.

You should compare the LG MZ42PZ13 (which is ex-display) at 2000 pounds, or the MZ42PZ17 at 2,499 pounds, against the Panasonic 5 series which is a bit more than 3.5k in the UK once you include the tuner etc.

It depends on how much money you have to spend as to whether you think the Panasonic is worth 800 pounds more than the LG PZ17 (or 1300 pounds more than the PZ13). Personally my budget could not stretch to the Panasonic but yours could.

If you could save nearly 1000 pounds by buying the plasma in the UK, why not come here for the weekend... bring the car and take the ferry, you could save lots.

Mike

3. MorganDK

MorganDK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

The LG13 is 2500£ in denmark. So the real cost difference is around 2000£ - Its not as much how much I *could* afford (hey, they accept everyone for the 0% interest free thingies now-a-days) - but more a technical evaluation of the differences between the two screens.

I have considered going to Germany - amount saved is almost the same +/- 200£ but again - the whole after sales service and hassle are also factors.

Do you know of the technical advantages of the LG17 or Panny5 over the LG13 ?

Basically I can see that Plasma is a technology that will change a lot within the next couple of years, so I know that whatever I buy will we obsolete in 3-4 years.

morgan :)

4. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PZ17 is higher contrast and brightness than the PZ13.

The Panasonic 5 series (or the Toshiba 42WP27B, which is the same as the Panasonic) is in turn higher contrast and brightness than the PZ17.

The PZ17 is 500 pounds more than an (ex-display) PZ13.

The Toshiba 42WP27B is 500 pounds more than the PZ17.

You should really demo the screens against each other to see which you prefer and whether you think the more expensive screens are worth spending more.

Mike

5. MorganDK

MorganDK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, took a look at the Panasonic 37" today. Im definatly not going to choose anything of less quality than that. The bleeding, ghosting and colors on terrestial was pretty awful. The DVD viewing was ok, but a bit of color bleeding here and there. It was using the tuner box and RGB scart. 37" is probably the size im going to go for. Rather have 37" that look good, than 42" that don't.

:)

morgan

6. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey.
    I looked at the Panny and the Pioneer for some time, and couldn't live with the shortcomings of either. I loved the Panny on DVD, but it seems that this is it's only decent input. Likewise with the Pioneer, although this looked far superior on TV/Sky. After a long time of looking, an exasperated (but patient) Sevenoaks salesman told me to look at the new Fuji.
    I take delivery soon, and am sooo happy with it!! It looks brighter and oozes class over the poorly built Panny, and lacks the buzzing which the also rans produce. Recommend that you have a look before making a decision which you may rue.:smashin:

7. MorganDK

MorganDK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like good advice. I have also found a few german websites that will shave at least 1000£ off the danish prices - so its getting a bit more realistic now. .)

morgan

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    the oracle

Sorry to potentially blow out your happiness with your 'soon to arrive' Fujitsu display but the Panasonic 'buzz' is definitely no where near as annoying as the fan noise on the Fujitsu displays. If you want a silent display you have to go Pioneer MXE or HDE every time!

I'm not sure what on the external of a Panasonic display tells you its poorly built - if you mean its bezel is not as cosmetically 'rounded' as some of the Consumer only products then possibly you have a point but look at the rear panel of the Fujitsu and Panasonic and I think you'd agree the Panasonic looks the classer unit.

Best regards

Joe

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Need to get the right interface for Sky etc for the screens to really show off. With mine (Panasonic) I've got Sky connected via the RGB to Plasma VGA unit and the picture is stunning. My US DVD player goes in via component, again giving a stunning picture.

I'd say that the demo you had didn't use the Panasonic screen to it's best. Using the RGB to Plasma VGA you're making better use of the screen's inputs. VGA isn't typically used in a home system, but can easily be connected to Sky etc.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.