Help me! Prog scan - 625P 525? whats it all mean?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Captain chaos, May 7, 2003.

1. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey

Can someone please explain what all these terms mean?

I plan on buying a Panasonic A300 projector soon for use with a prog scan DVD player. I was thinking about the Tosh 520, but then I keep hearing about people using these machines and are banding around terms of 625 and 525 and you have to change settngs etc.

Can anyone explain to me what it means?

Thanks.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi CC,

625p refers to the PAL progressive scan signal of 625 lines which consists of 576 visible lines. You will normally see PAL PS referred to as 576p. Similarly, 525p refers to the NTSC PS signal of 525 lines which consists of 480 visible lines. Hence, NTSC PS is usually known as 480p.

The Toshiba 520 is only NTSC compatible, but if you mainly have Region 1 DVDs this won't be a problem

Steve

3. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the Tosh 520 output pure NTSC? Or is it PAL 60?

Does this matter if you are going to run it prog scan through a projector, or can you change the output of the player to and from PAL 60 / NTSC?

4. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pal and NTSC are colour formats.

The DVD player converts the raw component video information that is stored on the DVD into the required format for output over composite or S-video.

However when you use the DVD players component output you bypass this colour conversion step so basically there is no such thing as PAL/NTSC when using component video (which you will be for progressive scan).

So in short, no it doesn't matter :)

-- Jon

5. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0