help me please onkyo 806, 906 or yam 1900

lodwales

Standard Member
looking to replace my yamaha 757se due to release of hdmi inputs. I dont want to change the amp for something that is the same sound quality, so many people are saying that the 806 at £399 is a deal, however the 905,906 and yamaha 1900 are getting good reviews however all are double the price of the 806, is the £400 worth it, the amp will power front kef 1q50 and a fef cent 1q60 and gale gold rear, please help

markymiles

Distinguished Member
If features are what you are after then I would go with the Onkyo 906 ie twin HDMI outputs, reon scaler, networking.

Can't comment exactly on those models but I've had both the 875 and my current 1800 in my house and the sound quality in my opinion was no contest, the yammy had it. Enveloping soundfield, better bass extension, more clarity. I think the 906 vs 1900 would be quite a similar experience.

Age old problem of features vs sound quality .....

mark8par

Novice Member
I am looking into something similair and after talking with a friend i am coming to the conclusion that i should spend a little more on a better amp, i am looking at the Yamaha RXV1900, Yamaha DSP AX863SE and the Yamaha RXV1800. i am slowly moving towards the RXV1900 but am really stuck on the speakers to get. Do you have any advice to send my way. i have looked at the Kef KHT 5005 and the B&W MT30 (might be out of my league bt may stretch if the are worth it).

i will keep an eye on this to see how you get on.

lodwales

Standard Member
I am looking into something similair and after talking with a friend i am coming to the conclusion that i should spend a little more on a better amp, i am looking at the Yamaha RXV1900, Yamaha DSP AX863SE and the Yamaha RXV1800. i am slowly moving towards the RXV1900 but am really stuck on the speakers to get. Do you have any advice to send my way. i have looked at the Kef KHT 5005 and the B&W MT30 (might be out of my league bt may stretch if the are worth it).

i will keep an eye on this to see how you get on.
KEF iQ5se Loudspeakers available from Weymouth HiFi

these are great speakers worth looking into

NobleBenj

Novice Member
I went for the 1900, are you sure mean the 906 as its £1400 which brings it more in line with the 3900. A closer comparison would be the 876 V 1900.
I went with the 1900 over the 3900 as didn't need internet radio, 2 HDMI outputs & wasn't bothered about a pretty menu system.

Also it looks like the Yamaha have increased their prices for the new year as the 1900 was only £800 before Christmas and the 3900 was £1100ish (still well worth getting though).

borrissey

Banned
I was considering the ones you mentioned I went for the Yamaha 1900 in the end because it got great reviews and people recomended it.

I'm more than happy with mine its awesome!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I got mine form here

Yamaha RXV1900

:)

benny

If you can afford £900 buy the Onkyo 906, best you can buy for the money.
next jump up the ladder is a yamaha Z7 with less features, no THX certification or processing(Loudness plus is a godsend).
Ive had on home dem a few amps in the £3500-£5000 price range and this 906 sounds like it should be £2500 and the ONLY upgrade for me would be a Yamaha Z11 at over £4k. Buy with confidence:smashin:

benny

Richer sound are doing the onkyo 876 for £600 - 680 depending on colour and i would stretch for that as a minimum but the 806 in silver they are doing is almost a give away but you can say the same for the 876 and 906 also with over £400 off both the top 2 units they are a steal.
My previous amp was an onkyo from 5 year ago which was £2k back then and the 906 is a great deal better at a under 1k, Amazing.

borrissey

Banned
The Onkyos are poor with music.