Question Help me please, going insane (choosing between sony, philips, samsung)

Shampy

Novice Member
Reaction score
Heya.

Since 2 weeks ago i decided to give my old tv (phillips, 40'' full hd non smart) to my parents, and get a 4k bigger one.

Slowly i somehow reduce the choices to : philips 49PUS6501, sony 49xe6005, samsung 50mu6402.

From store demos, my top is sony, philips, samsung (interested only in image/videos/colors quality), but i dont think demos really are a good way to judge, samsung one for example i think is really not so good vs the other. Unfortunatley here store people are not that friendly, i canot go with my own movie to see the difference.

Not really sure about philips, mine for example is slow like hell. ~2 second to change channel, 30 sec to boot. No ideea how is the new version.

I dont care to much about the smart part, i have a kodi device, but i would like that tv would be powerfull enough not to struggle playing at least 1080p movies from a stick, or 4k youtube.

I may be playing some computer games on it.

We dont have Hisense tv around here, only regular brands ( Oferte Televizoare - eMAG.ro -> left side are brands)

budget around 575 pounds or 650 euro.

what to chose ? or i have other alternatives ?

thanks !

canot edit (something about spam), sony 49xe7005, samsung 49mu6402

Last edited:
Hisense 50N6800 beats all of those. Shame it's not for sale there. Only reason to pick one of those 3 is if you need wide viewing angles.

How much is the Panasonic 50EX700 ?

If not the Samsung 50MU6100 is best from that link.

50ex700 is kinda out of stock but i think i saw it from time to time back, and is in budget on the par with samsung 49mu6402

samsung 6100 is better that 6400 ? from all that i read 6400 is way better.

if i will find panasonic i should go with it ? otherwise samsung wich one 6400 or 6100 ?

many thanks.

I’ve had both the hisense 50N6800 and currently have the Samsung 49mu6400 as its replacement.

For me the Samsung is the better tv. The colours on the hisense were awful. Skin tones were horrendous and the viewing angles if not sat directly in front of it were awful too.

The problem with the MU6400 at 49" is it uses an PLS type panel whilst the MU6100 at 50" uses VA.

The MU6400 does have a wide colour gamut, but this is largely pointless as its only used with HDR and this is by no means a capable HDR TV.

So overall, if you value contrast, blacks and better screen uniformity over wide viewing angles I think the MU6100 is the better TV.

When comparing TVs side to side its hard to make productive conclusions, if one thing that Samsung seem to have improved upon its colour accuracy out of the box, perhaps that is why garryboy found the Samsung to be better than the Hisense.

The problem with the MU6400 at 49" is it uses an PLS type panel whilst the MU6100 at 50" uses VA.

The MU6400 does have a wide colour gamut, but this is largely pointless as its only used with HDR and this is by no means a capable HDR TV.

So overall, if you value contrast, blacks and better screen uniformity over wide viewing angles I think the MU6100 is the better TV.

When comparing TVs side to side its hard to make productive conclusions, if one thing that Samsung seem to have improved upon its colour accuracy out of the box, perhaps that is why garryboy found the Samsung to be better than the Hisense.

Yes dodge. No matter what I tried I couldn’t get the skin tones correct. In the end though the panel became faulty so i had to return it. It was out of stock so had to pick an alternative or refund.

I’m positive my 49mu6400 uses a PLS panel. Mainly because the viewing angles are excellent.

deleted, and replyed again.

yes seems like 49mu6100 is va, 55mu6100 is pls, 49/55mu6400 is ads.

personally i was under impression that ads was the best. back to drawing board.

dodge, i was in store looking at samsung demos on 49mu6100 and was awfull, but i think because the tv was not calibrated, or maybe it was a low quality same movie on all tv's in store. white was insanely white like was burning my eyes, leaves were a mess, pixelated green without clear forms, i was not really impressed by that tv. unfortunatley i dint find a 6400 one to look, and like i said store people are not that friendly to let me put my usb stick with a movie in.

Last edited:
do you mean the 50MU6100?

There is a 49MU6100 in some countries too and it doesn't use the same AUO panel as the 50MU6100.

Store settings and environment really aren't a good place to make a comparison in terms of PQ...maybe you can judge motion performance but even then you are extremely limited not using your own content.

To be honest the Philips PUS65xx is a good bet compared to the others just from a motion perspective. Philips TVs are very good with motion and at this price you aren't going to get another TV using a 120hz panel like the Philips even if it is IPS. To make the most of its faster panel you will need to use the motion enhancements in the the TVs settings.

If you care about blacks and contrast more then go for the 50MU6100.

Certainly I wouldn't go for a 60hz IPS type panel when you can get the Philips with a 120hz one.

ADS is superior to PLS, slightly. Its not superior to VA for blacks and contrast. ADS is still a PLS based tech which is an IPS type tech.

yes, sorry, 50mu6102 to be exactly, after searching for so many series i'm doing some mistakes.

i manage to get my own video ( ) on a sony 49xd7005, phillips 55pus6501, samsung 50mu6102. from my part philips was indeed the best. still looking for a shop to see how it looks on a 6400 series.

managed to get a 55mu6202 for 480 euro, now i'm waiting to arrive, hope i will not be disapointed.

canot find any tv calibration service availible around my town, there is any place to buy / find a profile ? the only one i found remotly close is for 6402, but the panels and series are different, dont think it would work.

Samsung sometimes use 2-3 different panel types for the same model of tv let alone different models. Not only that but they can be different in different regions too. The curved models especially don't sell as well as flat versions either.

However I think its good you went for a curved version as I am pretty sure its more likely to come with a VA type panel (when the flat versions don't at 55") so you have got yourself a better TV for the money.

Have you considered performing basic calibration yourself?

This may help Picture Perfect TV setup guide

asked samsung support about it, they said that 55mu6202 have only va panels.

i'm colorblind and i have a bit of glaucoma so i may not be the best one to do it :))) and my wife dont really care that much.

will check your link tomorrow, thanks !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom