Help Me Please: 5.1 Compact Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by muddyfox470, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Sarah110175

Sarah110175

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hello Guys,

Thank you both for your thoughts and advice within this thread (as you are probably aware ;)) I am in the same boat and need a 5.1 system (I appreciate 'compact' is not the right word when you want a decent set of speaks for music also) to complement my new Sony DA 2400 ES.

Someone also mentioned these to me:

MORDAUNT SHORT ALUMNI-SYS-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Any opinions welcome, I'd still rather go for a all in one 5.1 package purchase?

Finally just to throw something else in the mix :D, the company CANTON keeps cropping here and there, though the major reviewers such as WHAT HIFI dont tend to review them, have either of you got any opinion on these?

Canton Movie 80-CX Home Cinema 5.1 System | 5.1 Speaker Systems | HiFi 4 Less

Look forward to hearing your thoughts (like now:))

Cheers

Sarah

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Given the fact that you're obviously not going to go for bigger speakers, as I advised previously ;):), I reckon the the Alumni are probably your best bet and will be superior to the Kefs for music, imo :smashin:

The Cantons may well be a very good option and indeed are quite highly rated on these forums, but I can't comment, as I've never heard them.

3. muddyfox470

muddyfox470

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Take a look at peter tyson:

Mordaunt Short Carnival 5.1 [I was offered those for £215 - PM me for further details
    - including the cables seems a very good deal and good construction, but never hearing them I cannot comment]

Or there is this with free speaker stands, although the sub isn't anything spectacular I hear:

Mordaunt Short Avant Premiere

Thought they were good packages considering what else was included :)

I decided against the cantons I was looking at 60CX because they look rather dated IMHO and reviews are fairly scarce. [I've heard the 80CX is the 60CX just with shiny/gloss casing]

EDIT: Also note that I have yet to set up my system and hear a wide variety of set-ups, but I enjoy music, but most of the information/opinions I hold atm are from what I have learnt from others. As Badger has said before if you want better speakers outside your budget, either build up slowly or go second hand for some well looked after gear :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  4. muddyfox470

muddyfox470

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    After cancelling my order for the further 2 1000C speakers [Rich @ superfi must be getting so annoyed with me] but I've just put another order in, oops, for a further 1 (so I will have 2 in total) because I suddenly thought, the Jamo's are great for movies, so why not set up the Q Acoustics as the "2nd zone" and use that for listening to music ??? (on my Onkyo SR606)

So hopefully it will mean that I've got a fair bit of choice on what I want to do in the future :) [so if it only means I will use 1 as a centre later on, I'm happy with that] - I'd like to think I had a stroke of genius! :rotfl:

Will definitely not cancel this order for fear that Rich will personally deliver it and shove it down my neck :eek: haha.

Only thing is I'm gutted I missed out on that bargain Denon 1909 15 day old receiver on here the other day, for a bargain price, but hey ho - already got meself a receiver.

5. Sarah110175

Sarah110175

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Badger,

Appreciate all your efforts and time to advise. Yes, although I still want a small speaker. (Wont use that word 'compact' :) ).

I came up with the Aiumni option, from speaking to a kind bod from Richer Sounds. But I cant help but feel (naturally) they just want to sell me a package.

My budget was for the Kefs KHT2005.3 around £550, and thanks to u I know appreciate the KEF's r not the best option for music and movie applications both.

Would there be another choice, similar price or package size to the Alumni option???

Cheers :)

Sarah

6. ignorantshed

ignorantshed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i just got the alumni 5.1 package but not on advice from richer sounds, i researched it on here and found nothing but positive reviews and comments so i went instore for a listen and they sounded pretty impresive, anyways got them home all set and wow! i'm running them with a denon-avr1909, they sound alot better than i was even hoping for, really cant reccomend these enough, awesome package, make sure u qoute the online price of £449 too,

7. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I really don't know what more I can say mate :)
    Bigger boxes = better sound and there's no way round it.

Go out of your way and listen to the Kefs and the MS.
    Imo, you'll hear it for yourself, with music.

If you can't do that, just get the MS.

And to answer your original question, are you paying a premium for looks????

Yes, massively, imo.

8. Gibletts

Gibletts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey sorry foxy - just seen this - Sure
    I'm away for a couple of days on business - but I will be back home Wed

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009