Help Me Please: 5.1 Compact Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by muddyfox470, Feb 9, 2009.

1. muddyfox470

muddyfox470

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I have a budget of £200 max, and I have spent the past weekend solidly researching the options available (and unfortunately I have no where that I can compare 1 or more of the packages :( ) so I am calling on your experience :D

I will be pairing with an Onkyo SR606, it needs to be black and will be mainly used for watching my hi-def movies but I guess I will want it to listen to my music as well (probably 70/30 split) - it's a lot to ask for a £200 budget I know but let's see what you can do :D

Ideally they would come with wall mounts that allow some swivelling for better direction :)

This is what I narrowed it down to:

Yamaha NSP110 (£75)
    Tannoy SFX 5.1 (£150)
    Jamo A102 HCS5 (£200)
    Canton 60CX (£190)
    Mordaunt-Short Carnival (£215)

Initially I looked at the Yammy's but then thought that I would only upgrade them in the near future, so would have been wasted money.
    There doesn't seem much info for or against on the Tannoys ...
    Initially the Jamo speakers sounded perfect, lots of positive reviews, but a lot of people are upgrading, people say there is lack of mid-range and can have a short life if pushed too hard.
    Again not much info on the Canton's I would like to know what they are like for music.
    Mordaunt always seem to get good reviews, but there is uncertainty whether the Carnival are "officially" available in the UK; and I don't have any info on the sub etc. [And they aren't really compact]

As you can see, it's all very confusing, so if you could pass on your advice / first hand experience or offer any more options let me know :)

Cheers,

Ian

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    You can't ask for compact speakers that give good midrange, as it's not possible. It requires larger boxes.
    So the MS is probably your best bet and they are available, but not quite at the price you quote;

Mordaunt Short Carnival 5.1

3. muddyfox470

muddyfox470

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Do those still give good movie performance as well, i.e. they will still be impressive for my HD movies ? :)

I understand it's a massive contradiction of terms (small speakers and good mid-range), but it's worth trying :D but saying that are the jamo's a good compromise and listenable for music?

4. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I'd take the MS over the Jamo's.
    They're the best of that bunch and will give the best result for movies too.

Have you considered building a system slowly?
    As in say, the front 3 for now, then a sub later, then rears later?

Costs more and takes time obviously, but it would be worthwhile.

Otherwise, I'd recommend going secondhand.

5. muddyfox470

muddyfox470

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Unfortunately second hand seems to have come up with nothing so far.

I would (in a perfect world) start slowly from nothing, but unfortunately I'd rather the ease of having all the same, and thinking about improving when more money comes my way :cool:

Otherwise I am just tempted to go and get some cheap speakers (Yamaha NSP11) to tide me through a couple of years until a good set of second hand ones crop up :) As to be honest the Yams don't get slating reviews, people just say they are good when you upgrade from them.

I just don't know if it is worth saving the £140 now and putting that together with more money when the time comes.

6. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    The Yams don't get slated because they're so cheap :)
    I've often recommended them as a first time setup combined with the low end Yam amps, to people on a tight budget.
    Cheaper here btw, £60;

Richer Sounds Speaker Packages Products

But they aren't brilliant mate. You have to remember what they're costing.
    You'd pay that for a half decent speaker alone.

They might be an option though and as you say, it's a quick easy way into surround while you save the pennies :smashin:

7. muddyfox470

muddyfox470

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Thanks for the dedication to the thread, but you were supposed to say don't go for them :D

Haha well that certainly has thrown my world upside down, as I know they aren't great, but I know they outperform most other HiFi/All-in-one system set-ups and they are tempting. They just seem like an honest solution (even Yamaha market them as an entry level movie system).

But I just don't know whether I could make them last long enough... and to be honest the driver size seems better than some others which could help with music.

I think as a "compact" system they will probably be the best to go for, then when I do need to upgrade I can then look at the larger cabinets from the likes of Mordaunt etc. As it seems strange having to upgrade to a better compact system only to upgrade again.

It's just a shame no one is upgrading at the moment, and wanting to offload their old compacts :(

Thanks again :smashin:

[A healthy dosing of thanks is in order for you me thinks]

8. Gibletts

Gibletts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey,
    Not sure if this is much help.....but your not the only one.
    Been trying to get my hands on som Monitor Radius R45's and I've even ended up on the dreaded bay !! yike !!
    Just missed out on 4 ex demos. And also just missed out on a Canton CD2.2 (Full system) that went for £93 (gutted..)
    What I want to know is - how much the surround speakers are actually "used" to there capacity. Ok I get it with the fronts, sub and centre - you get out what you put. But on a 7.1 set-up - Is it really worth shedding out loads for "surround" or "Ambience" speakers...? I'm not saying its not but I'm fairly new to all this. Maybe someone can give me (us) a simple explanation.

9. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Hmm, it depends what you listen to. I like multichannel stereo, so the rears are important to me, because they're doing the same as the front two.
    The consensus is you can get away with lesser speakers at the back for surround though. As for 7.1, I can't see the point, unless you have a really big room. It certainly did nothing for me, so I reverted to 5.1 to reduce the clutter. So in my experience, it's not worth forking out for back surrounds.
    But it's all about choice, I guess :smashin:

10. Gibletts

Gibletts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah - good point on the multi-channel stereo.
    I've no problem with the rears as I've got some half decent mordaunts - but I've got very little space at the front - and the "current" Mrs Gibletts would chop me up for anything big - that's why I was looking at the R45s and a good Sub.
    Just don't have the room for big bookshelfs or floorstanders at the front.

So kinda in the same boat - looking for a good Compact 2.1 or 5.1 on the market. But looking now a buying individually. So in your expert opinion (for fronts)- what's small (Just Smaller than the Kef eggs) but has capacity to sound fairly big?

11. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Nothing :(

12. muddyfox470

muddyfox470

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-h...q-acoustics-1000c-centre-speaker-24-42-a.html

Now I'm not following your advice and building up from scratch (although it is tempting to add a pair of Q Acou. 1010i for £90... and a sub) but I thought for £24 (even in cherry) it should help the vocals and dialogue in movies if I get a compact system.

I know it's probably a mistake, but its £20 at the end of the day (so my budget is now £180) :D haha.

13. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    That's not a mistake mate.
    That's a steal at that money :thumbsup:

Add those 1010s or better still 1020s if you can get a deal.

Then save or look out for a deal on the likes of a MS 309 sub and that's a very good start, imo.

14. muddyfox470

muddyfox470

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I know there is someone looking at getting the whole set-up made of centre speakers; but the one is enough for me, I don't know whether I should have jumped on quicker, as I think they had an all black model for the same price which would have been a better bet :D

That's the thing if i could get hold of a decent (cheap) pair of 1010i's and the MS109 or another sub it could work - but I don't want to go down this route, makes my life more stressful! haha.

Will be in NC next week so see what bargains they are hiding in their store :)

15. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I never thought of that.

I'd go so far as to say that's a great idea.
    "Compact" has gone out the window, of course, but that would be a great 5.0 setup for £125 imo and highly advised :smashin:

16. muddyfox470

muddyfox470

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    You would get some tremendously funny looks from people coming around and asking questions. Buy one problem would surely be the separation of the drivers and the sound they would kick out.

I don't know whether I'd be keen on side mounting them either, but at least it would be something I wouldn't mind experimenting with. You think it might be worth going for another 2, so I can eventually get a 3.1 set-up ?

I'm amazed a Q-Acoustics sub went for £50 BIN on ebay in jan :eek:

Thing is now i will have to start learning some info about subs [hence why an all in one would be so much easier]. This is stressful stuff, tho hopefully it all comes good :D

I'm questioning the whole centre speaker set up. It just seems so wrong!

17. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    a

18. muddyfox470

muddyfox470

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    So I'd now have the tenuous task of looking at subs and cables :( look what you've done!

[But thanks for your help]

With the driver separation i was more thinking on the waves emitted; won't it sound slightly uneven at one point in the room where peaks (and troughs) of the waves have superimposed? - or am i just taking my a-level physics too far :D

- You just have to promise me that you'll let me know if a cheap sub catches your eye ;)

19. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Hmm.

Ultimately, it's not an ideal setup. If you are going to spend about £5k on speakers and indeed can actually hear the difference, it's a reasonable question to ask.
    Otherwise, seeing as we're in the real world, forget it.

They will have plenty good enough dispersion, assuming you're sitting anywhere near the sweet spot, imo.
    Even then, you get the reinforcement/cancellation all the time, even with pukka stuff. But that's the room.
    Trust me it will sound miles better and the question is just a non-starter at this sort of price.

Subs and cable are easy.

Don't waste money on cables, it isn't worth it.
    Subs :)

Different subject.
    They make a massive difference, imo.

20. muddyfox470

muddyfox470

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Well I am glad someone else agrees with what I'm thinking, some of the cables just seem ridiculous, and I have heard of people testing cables and finding that the mains cables they have used is the best [I know don't use bell wire (or something)] - but as it's my first AV kit, it would be nice for it to sound pretty good from the outset.

So anyway... a pair of 1010i 's cost around £80/£90 would it not just be best to get those rather than a further two 1000C centre speakers, especially considering they have larger drivers in them?

I think what I will do is pick up a further two of these centre speakers then use them as rears, when a nice couple of 1010i's come along. And honestly you will need to give me some direction with a sub, as they don't half seem expensive! [especially as a £110 sub can be part of a £150 package] :eek:

What sort of ones should I look at for ~ £100 then? Or should I look at second hand ones

Do you think the system (3 centre speakers) will suffice for the medium term [music and movies], until I gather enough funds for one last push (for 1010i's and sub) - I can only presume this 3 speaker set-up will be far superior to the NSP110 (yams £70 setup) ?

Thanks again for your help, you best get off to whatever you do :D

21. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    a

22. muddyfox470

muddyfox470

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Having an offer of a second hand Jamo set is tempting, especially considering the size of them. However the Q Acoustics definitely sounds like the right option, but the centre speakers are twice the size of the normal fronts and rears, I think 400mm is a bit excessive (and close to 5kg) kind of rules them out being hung on the wall.

This isn't easy!

23. Slider09

Slider09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I am in the same situation. Don't like big / floor standing speakers, prefer the small unobtrusive types. I am looking for my first surround sound setup. Think I will go for the Sony STRDG820 for the amp. Just need some speakers. I was originally going to go for the Sony DAV-IS10 all in one solution, purely because I like the golf ball speakers. Is there anything like those available?

24. Gibletts

Gibletts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I ended up getting 2 of those QA centres for the fronts - in terms of Price WoW. Couple of those Wharefdale cubes for surrounds and hopefully this Q Acoustics 1000SCHERRY Subwoofer in Cherry Wood Finish
    Am I missing somthing? that seems a really good price.

I'll keep the MS for rears; but a pair of QA 1050's look likely for the replacements.....
    I reckon it should sound ok - does it matter it it's a bit back to front?.

25. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Realistically, the sub is a decent price.

As for back to front, just try things and see what you think.

Let us know what you think of 2 centres as the fronts.
    I think they'll be pretty decent.

26. muddyfox470

muddyfox470

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Now I've never been a massive fan of What Hifi, I find the bigger the mag the more susceptible it is to dodgy reviews, but still the 1000S didn't get great reviews. I am almost certain I'll get the 1000 centres and see how those go, although the Jamo's do seem tempting as a starter kit...

Thanks for your help :)

BTW I've ordered 3 centre speakers, but have yet to pay for 2 of them, so gives me some lee-way :)

27. Gibletts

Gibletts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, your both 100% on that - just seen some reviews - thanks chaps.
    I'll save the pennies and go for one of dem BK bad boys and whack a block of granite on top.
    Probably the most important part of the solution - so why skimp....

28. Gibletts

Gibletts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Badger/muddy fox - Just a quick update....
    Just got everything installed at 4am - and been playing most of today; In terms of using those two centres as fronts? What a great Idea from you two !!!!!!
    Much respect!
    7.1 up and running on the Onky and the two fronts sound great. I had tried a number of solutions - but in terms of fullness and low down punch (For that money)- they really are the dogs.
    I'm just waiting for the Mission E series sub to arrive and Mrs Gibletts reckons I don't even need it. Such is the grunt from those fronts and the MS rears. I never got them that close to the front - currentley about 3 metres apart - but there is really good seperation.
    Anyways - just wanted to say thanks for a great idea.
    :clap:

29. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    :smashin:

30. muddyfox470

muddyfox470

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    That is great news [except the 4am thing, :boring: ] if you don't mind is there a chance that you could take a photo to show both the fronts and centre? [don't worry if you cant]

I probably should have gone down that road but a set a Jamo's just came at the right time! :s In the end I have got one centre, as I thought for £24 would be good to set it up and see the sound that comes from it :)

All the best.