Help me pick the right speakers for the following setup!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Unlight, May 17, 2004.

1. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Firstly, I apologise for posting this in 2 seperate sections, Im newish around here and didnt notice the seperate section for speakers!

Hi all,
    Im building up my system when I can afford in order to get good quality components (well, for the budget range!!)

At the moment I have the following :

Cambridge Audio Azur 640c
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640a
    Project Debut Phono SB turntable

Now, Ive got the speaker cable (QED silver anniversary) and am about to buy the speaker stands and equipment rack. The only thing I dont know what to buy is the last piece of the jigsaw - the speakers!

Ideally I want Standmounts as it will be in a reasonably small room.

At the moment, I dont know whether to go for the Monitor Audio Bronze B2 series that get such a good review for £200, or the Quad 11l for a pricier £350. The Quad 11l are my personal choice at the moment based on looks (look at that birds eye maple!!) and build quality alone, but in reviews ive read it says you need really good quality equipment to pair with it. Is my Azur 640 range good enough to get these speakers sounding good?

So, Monitor Audio, or the Quads?

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236

You know when some one asks you what you want to drink and you reply ..'oh, anything as long as its wet' well thats exactly what your asking from the forum members. I know you would like an instant answer, but there isnt one, its your ears.

So, first things first, get a listen to a good 'run in' pair of each of those speakers on the end of your system. Preferably a home demo over a couple of nights. Ignore the reviews, ignore any sales guy that doesnt offer similar advice, dont be too concerned about the cables until you have decided on the speakers (get the shop to lend you some good budget stuff and some stands to go with the speakers).

If, after that, your still struggling, then toss a coin.

Its either that or you will end up with a cocktail with umbrellas when you really wanted a nice cold larger ;)

3. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hey man,

Cheers for your help. The only problem really is that im from N.Ireland, and there are NO dealers for Quad over here at all, which is the real problem. The only way of getting a good listen at the Monitors would be to get em from richer sounds, but they dont offer refunds, just an exchangefor something else, and they of course dont carry to quads...

So im in a bit of a predicament to be honest!!

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Hmmmm, more difficult to deal with , this is (voice of yoda :) ). Have you any local dealers that will offer you a trial on similar priced speakers ? Just because the Quads and others get glowing reviews doesnt make them the best option. The speakers I use hardly get a mention in the Press and are from a small local manufacturer who knows his stuff.

The other option is secondhand, any used hifi dealers in your area ? or sellers willing to let you demo on a private basis?? There are Forum members in Ireland, maybe local to you? that might help you out by bringing round some speakers in the price bracket mentioned (maybe those exact models).

Just a thought.

After that its mail order and pot luck.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If it comes to that I am sure that you won't be disappointed with either as they are both excellent speakers

6. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for what its worth I can't help but think the MA B2's would be more suited to your chosen system... The Quads always get paired with much more expensive electronics in the reviews I've seen.

I listened to the B2's a couple of months back, coupled with NAD cd and amp (think the cd player was the 521), so a cheaper setup than your campbridge azur's - they sounded superb, I really liked them and would heartily recommend a demo...

7. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if it were me i would go for the 12L's and not the 11L's as they sound so much better.

the rest of your system can always grow into the speakers as you upgrade.

CaM

8. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    If you're looking at the Quads then the Dynaudio 42s would also be well worth considering..

I auditioned Monitor Audio silver series, Quad 11s, and the Dynaudios against each other using a variety of amps/recievers and sources..

IMO the Dyns sounded MUCH better when used with cheaper components.
    The Quads sounded quite flat unless they're hooked up to a very hefty amp.

It was very close between the two when using top notch amplification, the Quads were a little more detailed and laid back, the Dyns a little more lively and weighty..

I went for the Dyns on the basis that i was only using an AV reciever at the time, the Quads sounded like they were facing the wrong way when hooked up to similar kit..

The monitor audio silver's were lagging way behind.. look the part but disappointing to my ears..

Not much chance of a dynaudio dealer in ireland either unfortunately.. hard enough to find in England..

There's one in Hull if you're ever over this way.. :rolleyes: