1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me pick speakers for an RX-V1500 please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by doctorjuggles, Mar 9, 2005.

1. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm still in the research stage of my purchase, so I'm looking to see what to match up with what.
    I've pretty much decided on the Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver for a few reasons, one of them being good reviews on the musical ability as well as movie playback.

Anyway, I'm trying to pair up a decent surround set with this. My main concerns and priorities are:
    Size - I'm looking at the Genie/Kef ranges purely because size is a factor. I'm willing to go slightly larger than these if the benefits are much greater, but I really don't have the space for large floorstanders or massive subwoofers. So they can be larger than the Kefs or the Genies, but within reason.

Sound - I'll be using them for a combination of music and cinema, and as such would like them to pack a decent enough punch with good musicality. It doesn't need to be powerful enough to wake the neighbourhood, but it does need a bit of grunt to it.

Looks - There's a low-ratio 'female acceptance factor' here, which means that they don't have to look great, but it helps. The missus knows enough to realise that looks aren't everything in A/V, but at the same time a stylish set wouldn't hurt matters. This is probably the least important factor to consider though.

With this in mind, any thoughts/recommendations?

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Sub/Sat sets like the Genie/Kefs aren't wonderful with music. There's always a hole in the mid-range because the sats just don't go low enough.

Check out something like the Epos ELS3 5.1 kit. Great for music and movies. :)

3. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks Nobber22. Nice avatar. Oppie Bokke.

Checked out the Epos ELS3 kit, but very few people seem to have it. Can you recommend a couple more in a similar range please? Cheers.

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    The Monitor Audio Radius range is well regarded, as well as the Compact speakers from Castle. Even 5 x Mission M30i's and a good sub will take care of most sub/sat setups around £1000 IMO. A Kef Q1/Q9C/Compacts combination would also sound lovely.

Don't be put off by lack of reviews of the Epos speakers. They are seriously good!! :smashin:

5. emtee

emtee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I give another vote for the Q1/9c/Compact setup. I think the Yammie and MA don't match up well. Unless e of course you absolutely love the HF's.

6. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Does this setup deliver in the low end? There's no Sub on this setup, do these speakers not need one? They look tiny.

7. emtee

emtee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right. The Q1's will be a little lacking in the base. Are you planning on putting the spreakers on a stand? If so then I'd seriously consider going to Q5's.
    A sub would be ideal with the Q1's but if there isn't room...the Q5's will take up as much space as the Q1's on stands.

8. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Hi, I've just joined the forum and saw your dilemma.
    The following new stock but old model Tannoy MX2 are being sold on Ebay by the Tannoy clearance shop and my brother has used them as fronts for a few years,

I think for the size they are quite amazing - very easy to listen to for music and great in his surround sound set up - the price is great from what I can see and they are "Missus friendly" from what my brother says.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....318268&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcN__Shops

I was also wondering if you were steadfast in your choice of Yamaha 1500 as you can pick up the Harman Kardon 630 and Denons from Sevenoaks clearance and Superfi for good prices (all IMHO).

Please don't be offended by any of my comments I thought they may help.

9. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm not offended at all, I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want opinions. :smashin:

The reason I like the Yamaha 1500 is (a) price - around £430, I think it's tough to beat at that price (b) it has good reviews that I've seen for cinema & music, where most amps only shine in one of the two and (c) it has a PC in slot, which is handy seeing as I'll be building an HCPC and my whole house is networked.
    Of course, if something else offers most of these (I know the PC connectivity can always be worked around for most amps) then I'll be willing to look, but from my readings of the Harmon Kardons (which, admittedly, only stretches to What Hi-Fi : Sound & Vision) they tend to perform well, but are a little overpriced. The Denon's are a viable option, though, because of their similarly good reviews for both cinema and music.

Thanks for your views and opinions so far
    As far as the Tannoys go, that's an interesting one. Without being rude, are they quite in the same quality range as Kef/B&W/Monitor Audio/Mordaunt Short etc?

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Does it, i know it has a serial port but i don't think thats for pc connectivity, could be wrong though (would like to be)

11. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    I didn't know you could get the 1500 for £430 - would you mind telling me where from, I thought it was around £600.

As for the Tannoys the only reason I suggest them is that the I had some Kef Eggs and I've heard the radius and I think a full size speaker (if it can be acoomodated) always gives a better all round sond for hifi as well. The kefs were good but I found them disappointing for music. The tannoys are just cheap and its a bit like the what hifi scenario where they rated the mission M31's higher than the other speakers in the range due to them having a bigger box.

12. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hmmm. Now you've mentioned it I looked on their website and it actually does only have a serial port (RS-232C)

Thanks for pointing that out, that changes things a lot. That's what you get for trusting the specs in What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision.

13. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I think there are one or two to models that have a usb connection, but it's a bit overkill for a sound card.